C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch Safety Switch and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Clutch Safety Switch and other issues

So onto another year of problems. Early last year I replaced the clutch and went to a alum. flywheel along with a new complete rearend with 3.73s. Local garage did all the work. I then started having starter issues after about 500 miles. 3 starters later the car was running. I came out the other day and there was nothing when I turned the key. Went and got a new battery and still nothing. I can hear the fuel pump and some minor clicking from the engine area but car doesn't even attempt to turn over. Being that I have a larger frame (shoulders) my dad climbed under the dash and we started discussing the safety switch. Neither my dad or I know anything electrical. He jiggled some things around on the top of the clutch pedal. We tried it and it then the car turned over. I didn't even attempt at that point to get it to start. I have read and re-read about bypassing the safety switch. I don't understand the procedure and I can't see to far up there. Is there an adjustment on this switch. I'm thinking the problem is either this, ignition system or a VATS issue. Anyone have any good pictures from up in there? There is no way I can get under there so I have to relay the info. to my dad and get him to understand it to do it.

The other issue that happend about 2 yrs ago is my dad while wiping the car down set off the alarm. He activated it while wiping the door jam down, shut door and then opened other door. Neither of us remember how to disarm it so I ran in house. He for some reason tried to start car while alarm was going off. Could this have done anything to screw anything electrically up, VATS,etc?? The car has started and ran since that incident. Also when trying to get the timing set on the car when I disconnect the plug (as indicated in the book to set timing) the car immediately dies quick. It is a brown connector on the driver's side near the brake resivors.

Any info is appreciated as always!!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

No opinions or comments? I need help guys!!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Bypassing the clutch switch is a simple as joining the 2 wires together.
Once the alarm is activated, using the door key is the only way to turn it off.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Movnviolation
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Agent said, bypass the switch. I did on my 89 because I can't get my hand up there anyway. No big deal. Makes life a whole lot easier as I grew up with standard trans.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:35 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Disconnect the connector going to the clutch safety switch. Get a piece of 14 gauge wire1" long. Strip the insulation off both ends. Cram each end in each terminal on the connector. Electrical tape the connector assembly and you're good to go.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

So I pulled the cap off and checked to see the rotor was pointing at #1 which it was and the timing mark was at 6* before so the timing should be right where I want it. Put it all together quick and cranked and cranked. If I don't hit the gas it will start rev quick then die. If I hit the gas to try to save it 9 times out of 10 it still dies. I cranked it probally 25 times and only got it started once.(hit the gas)I stayed on
the gas for about 2 mins and it reved fine but again would not idle. (nothing new there) Buddy mentioned that he had a MSD box go bad on him and I should look into that now. I hate to get a new one if that isn't the problem but don't know where else to go. Fuel pressure is 50 on the rail. Got me thinkin that maybe something electrically fried when dad tried starting it with the alarm going off??

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Safety Switch and other issues

Quick Reply: Clutch Safety Switch and other issues