C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear Main Seal Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Rear Main Seal Leak?

Follow-up on a previous posting of mine in which I had lots of trouble getting the one piece FelPro oil pan gasket to seal on my 95 LT1, 6 sp.

Well after getting the four piece gasket to seal (which also required modification) I still have an oil leak.

This is what I did:
Drove car onto 2 high stack of 2x8's. Started engine and let it idle until I see an oil drip. It is on the inspection plate. Raised car (supported) and checked rear of oil pan...nothing...clean as can be. The oil was dripping from inside the flywheel inspection cover.

So is this conclusive evidence of the rear main seal leaking?

I checked to make sure the rear of the intake was not leaking...did this several times...it is not oily....dirty, but not oily.

Thanks once again.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you answered your own question, if its not a bad leak, there are oil additives that will swell the seal up and get you till you can replace it.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Are you sure its not a oil sender or switch ? I thought my rear main was leaking for a long time before replacing the pressure sender. It leaks along the back of the block and down the torque converter dust cover.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

No leaks from the oil sender or switch that I can find. Bit of a "process of elimination" as to what is leaking by figuring out what is not leaking.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Main Seal Leak?

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal Leak?