C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 Heads Remove/Install: Valvespring/Cup Clearance to Head Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Default LT1 Heads Remove/Install: Valvespring/Cup Clearance to Head Bolts?

This is a question regarding clearance between the cylinder head bolts and the valvetrain hardware - 1994 LT1.

I have a set of ported heads that I will install to replace my stock heads, I want to begin this work tonight. The ported set was purchased 2nd hand so I fully disassembled, cleaned, and reinstalled the valves with new springs and seals.

On the ported set (not on the motor) I notice that the steel cup that the springs sit in appear to overlap just a TINY bit onto the machined areas for the head bolts. My question is, do the cups/springs interfere with the headbolts? Will I have to remove the valve hardware in order to pull/install the heads? I'm not sure if the steel cups are original LT1 hardware or if they are aftermarket. Will stock LT1 hardware (what is on the motor now) have the same problem? Will I have to remove the springs and cups in order to remove the head bolts? The headbolt set that I purchased to install with the new heads is Felpro brand, should that make any difference.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

With the heads on your bench, take a head bolt with a washer and slide it into the hole.
does the cup interfere with the bolt head?
My guess is there is enough clearance that it does not interfere

Quick Reply: LT1 Heads Remove/Install: Valvespring/Cup Clearance to Head Bolts?