C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Failed inspection,,, but i want to pass

Old 06-11-2011, 03:45 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed inspection,,, but i want to pass

ok inspection guy was an idiot (i live in california). i failed my state smog inspection. The guy said that most likley one or both of my cats are bad. (make sense because when the car and the exhuast get really, really, really hot my engine RPMS at idle drops from a smooth 700rpms to 640rpms then when it starts to cool back off it goes back up to 700rpms)...... ok i dont really have the cash to be replacing some BS smog iteam like a BS catalitic converter.... anyone have any ideas for how i can pass smog with "bad or semi pluged up cats"?
I live in Communist Occupied California.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What year vette?

And cats aren't BS. I've lived in California for 43 years, and the air definitely cleaner now
than when I first moved here.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:02 PM
69SSC5
Pro

88',,,, just want to clarify. im not saying bs because cats dont clean up an automobiles emisions.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:22 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,003 Likes on 836 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Post up a copy of your failed smog test. Then maybe we can help you.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
Post up a copy of your failed smog test. Then maybe we can help you.
I don't have a scanner to post results but I can tell you it failed on the asm emissions test (25mph) Co % test max allowed is 0.42 my car measured 0.62 therfore failing me. I passed all other tests
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

The emissions reqts are bullcrap.

I love it when liberal 'tards cry 'please govt protect us from ourselves, we're too stupid otherwise'

It really showcases their intelligence.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 PM
C4orce2
Racer

I'm sure you have probably already know the answer to this, but in Calif do they have an exemption from emissions testing for "collectible" cars? Arizona is not far behind Calif when it comes to stiff environmental laws, but several years ago the feds allowed AZ to establish this exemption. In AZ if your car is over 15 years old and you have collectible car insurance on it and your insurance company places a mileage limit or use limit on the car, you just have to get your insurance company to properly code your coverage when they report it to your DMV and you never have to get inspected again. C4orce2 cannot pass the AZ emissions test, especially the CO test, but because I'm with Grundy, my car is exempt and Grundy has no mileage limit. They do have a use restriction and that is enough to qualify. End result, I can drive my car as many miles as I want so long as it is not my daily driver and used for club or pleasure trips only, and never get tested again. If you have not already looked into this you should. Maybe Calif has a similar program. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 88 and I live in California. It is legal to remove your pre cats and replace them with small cats. like these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-CVM10K/

You still must run a main cat to be legal.

I replaced the entire exhaust with 2 1/2" pipe, 2 small pypes cats and a new carsound main cat. It burns clean and sounds great. It feels like I added about 20 hp. You can just add the small pype cats. Just buy a new front Y without pre cats. Cut and weld the new small cats where the pre cats go. Any muffler shop can do it. I passed the smog twice with my new exhaust.

Last edited by Kool88vette; 06-12-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
The emissions reqts are bullcrap.

I love it when liberal 'tards cry 'please govt protect us from ourselves, we're too stupid otherwise'

It really showcases their intelligence.
I love how people from outside California criticize our pollution control efforts. I am not a liberal or a tard but I do like to breathe. I have lived in Calif for 40 years. The need for catalytic converters was obvious. There used to be a brown cloud hanging over the valleys. Air quality was part of the daily weather report. Today the air is cleaner and healthier.

My only beef with the smog laws is the visual inspections. Cars should pass or fail based on test results rather than the parts they use. But even with the visual restrictions, Corvettes can be modified for high horsepower and be fun. My 85 is pushing 500 Hp, runs clean and passes all the tests.

The OP does need to correct the problem rather than try to fight it. One does not want to end up on the gross polluter list. I'm not sure if his problem is the cats or tuning, but either way once corrected will probably improve performance.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:30 PM
EurekaVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Heimlich2010
ok inspection guy was an idiot (i live in california). i failed my state smog inspection. The guy said that most likley one or both of my cats are bad. (make sense because when the car and the exhuast get really, really, really hot my engine RPMS at idle drops from a smooth 700rpms to 640rpms then when it starts to cool back off it goes back up to 700rpms)...... ok i dont really have the cash to be replacing some BS smog iteam like a BS catalitic converter.... anyone have any ideas for how i can pass smog with "bad or semi pluged up cats"?
I live in Communist Occupied California.
Communist Occupied California? Hey, if you don't like the rules, go find another place to live!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

2 questions to the op. First, why was the inspection guy an idiot? It sounds like he was doing his job. Second, if you can't afford to repair a clogged converter, maybe you shouldn't be driving a car. Bike or bus comes to mind. Operating a car with a clogged converter can sap performance and possibly damage the motor.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:48 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
2 questions to the op. First, why was the inspection guy an idiot? It sounds like he was doing his job. Second, if you can't afford to repair a clogged converter, maybe you shouldn't be driving a car. Bike or bus comes to mind. Operating a car with a clogged converter can sap performance and possibly damage the motor.
...it's because C4s have slid to trailer park status
Old 06-12-2011, 02:32 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Originally Posted by EurekaVette
Communist Occupied California? Hey, if you don't like the rules, go find another place to live!

You know what i just might do that... and by the number of people Fleeing Americas Gestapo state (aka California) its no wonder why california is going completly broke and has no money to even pay teachers to teach little kids in its public school system..... look i Posted my question not to **** off the people from California. i posted my question so i can fiind out how a law abiding, god frearing average joe can get his 23 year old car to pass inspection in california without spending much money thank you

Last edited by 69SSC5; 06-12-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:43 PM
69SSC5
Pro

MODERATOR PLEASE REMOVE THIS THREAD...... i wasnt trying to cause Arguments, i was just trying to get an answer to my question... i appoligize if the majority of the Forum belives i went about asking it in the wrong way.

sorry for the dissagrement and thank you all for your help in the past and in the future.... hope this didnt sour anyones taste buds because this is a great website that i have found invaluable. thank you

Last edited by 69SSC5; 06-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
...it's because C4s have slid to trailer park status
a little far on that comment dont you think... i belive that is aginst the forum rules calling anohter memeber or at least illuding to calling another member TRAILER TRASH... not very appriciated...
Old 06-12-2011, 03:46 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is your only choice pretty much I bought this setup from a company called autosound in LA ... The front Y-pipe was 262.00 shipped and the main cat 163 shipped. I is a magnaflow system though ... You will need the cats with numbers on them which this is a california system.

Good luck

Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 PM
69SSC5
Pro

for those that dissagree.... learn some more and up your IQ then get back to me.....

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...ned-to-america
(cut and past link)

just a taste,,,, look deeper and deeper into all that you think is acceptable and ask yourself... hmmmm why is this acceptable to me, it didnt used to be?

Get notified of new replies

To Failed inspection,,, but i want to pass

Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
It is your only choice pretty much I bought this setup from a company called autosound in LA ... The front Y-pipe was 262.00 shipped and the main cat 163 shipped. I is a magnaflow system though ... You will need the cats with numbers on them which this is a california system.

Good luck

looks like a good setup for a good price... im gonna deffidently have to look into that thank you for the info and pics....
Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heimlich2010
looks like a good setup for a good price... im gonna deffidently have to look into that thank you for the info and pics....
Also went with this on my 1990 I think it was 310.00 or somewhere right around there. I got the front y-pipe and cat off that auction site and the catback came from corvette central I think.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You might post your smog numbers.

I'd scan it to verify that fueling is deadon - if not, it may not be a CAT. Your idle symptoms don't sound like a plugged up exhaust and I'd be more inclined to do some troubleshooting, but knowing what fuel delivery looks like narrows it down.

If you figure out a way to meet Fed Emissions without CATS, you won't be driving a C4 or hanging out here, but hopefully you'll share some of your wealth with the rest of us.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Failed inspection,,, but i want to pass