C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Difference between an LT1 & L98?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bjankuski
The real question you are after is can a L98 be modified to make 300 HP and that answer is yes. The L98 engine design is a typical SBC and it would be very easy to acheive 300 HP.

To tell you the truth both engine designs can be modified to make impressive power but if your your goal is to make race level power (600 HP plus) the L98 (SBC) design get the nod since it has much more aftermarket support and many more parts available to achieve those goals.
True enough. Another (commonly lame) consideration is to build a fun, torquey 383. (Here I go again! )

For perspective, that same cam/exhaust/head/TPI swap didn't "just" get me to LT1 power level. In SAE (factory) terms, I'm hitting that same 300hp level by 3k rpms. So, I'm getting to LT1 "fun" a whole lot faster. Close-ratio 6-spd doesn't hurt that fun level.

Really, it says alot about the ability to mod a TPI too. Maybe it even speaks to the Challenge Cars thread recently posted in the C4General forum? Hmmmm.....

Doesn't mean I'm not thinking about trying another intake for perspective...but there's a lot of fun to be had -- even if/when shifting at 4.5k rpms. Just look at those vids from "weekend" auto-x racers and you'll see that's where they shift.

Application can be a factor....as you pointed out with the comment about "IF" you're building a 600hp race motor.

Of course, for the reason the OP posted....pulling up this ANCIENT, rediculous thread, there's no value in this post as it's all headed to the boneyard!

and

IBTL!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

BTW...the relevant thing (to me) is put a fine-tooth-comb to what you're asking. Say why you want to know what's different. Mention exactly how you drive a car. KNOW exactly how you drive a car. Build for that purpose.

Too many pick too big/small of a particular item. Too many don't consider how parts combine to work as a whole. With regard to the L98vsLT1, both sought after that....though time, technology, and progress found the newer car to be the better one.

Of course, that will always be true.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I agree with the others that you can't just swap LT1 stuff onto the L98.

However, I did run across something interesting. You can swap the truck Vortec heads onto the L98. The vortec heads are very similar ports to the LT1, so you can get similar flow with them. The vortec intake mounts differently, so neither the LT1 or L98 intakes fit, but Scoggin Dickey parts has a lower intake base for the vortec heads with the L98 parts. They advertise that it brings it up to the LT1 level with these heads and lower intake on a stock L98.

To me this seems like it might satisfy a lot of concerns by getting the better heads while still retaining the distributor. (although I have had good results with 5 or 6 cars with high mileage and never had an optispark failure.) Other mods can still be made to cams, etc. if you are wanting more.

Intake:
https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-...-center/sd3816

Heads:
https://sdparts.com/index.php?q=deta...enter/sd8060a2
or
https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-...nter/sd8060ra2
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Agree the Vortecs shold run about the same they go about 220/150 out of the box..intakes a little stronger than the LTx. Exhaust is well...

If you go searching for power meaning modding the heads/porting the LTx can take it...Vortecs not so much..

Dont buy used Vortecs either chances are they got a crack somewhere in them. Putting bigger valves in is risky too they are meant to be a torque head and nothing more. The LTx can be made to go either way.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

My last combo on my 91 before I went LSX was fastburn vortec heads, mid range cam, LT1 stock manifolds and exaust toped off with a HSR vortec intake. It was all cheap and should have net me around 400CHP. I never got a chance to drive it much.

If I was looking for cheap and easy HP I would bolt on some L31 heads a vortec intake with LT runners and a midrange cam. The LT1 or aftermarket exhaust becomes a must at this point.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM
JohnTVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
92-97 so actually 6 model years.

Here is the scope on GM engine development. The L98 was around doing its thing and being awesome. The they wanted to take on the big dogs and got the LT5 in 90. Over at GM Powertrain they where PO'ed that they did not get a chance to make this Euro-killing engine. So they in the late 80's early 90's redid the Small Block Chevy Gen1. The LT1 is a Gen 2, it was an engine for a new era of fuel economy and ever increasing emissions. They thought the most they could get was 250HP out of a SBC. Well, they hit 300, then with more development they realized 350 and even 400HP was within reach. They started work on a Gen 3 engine but realized soon they needed a clean sheet design. This still born Gen 3 became the LT4 in 96. The LS is a totally clean sheet design that started development in 93.

The SBC Gen 1 is the grandfather and in its L98 form, the still cool and relevant grandfather. The LT1 is the not far from the tree son, the Dad (LT1) realized if his kind was to survive he needed to mate with something totally new and better. Hence, the grandson (LS) is in spirit (basic layout, 4.40 bore spacing, legendary status) the same as his father and grandfather, he is ready for the new 21'st century and its unique automotive threats to the 2 valve pushrod existence.

The LS is a great engine like all SBC's. Everyone raves about it, for the same reasons that made the 55 SBC the HOT ONE. Easy to mod and make HP, reliable and durable, cheap to make, modify, and build, etc....

Nothing is created in a vacuum, the SBC is a great design and a mature one in the L98, it made the LT1/LT4 great, the great LT1/LT4, made the LSX series great, it is a evolutionary thing. They build on one another and make their breed better.
Awesome post. Very well stated.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM
long88vette
2nd Gear

Default Lt1 with l98 top end

Here's my situation I spun a bearing on my 88 l98 and I have a good lt1 setting around can I use my l98 top end on my lt1 block? I don't care if I lose the horsepower. I just want to keep my factory harness.. And this all happened the day I got fired so I have very little funds just looking for a quick cheap fix until I do a lsx swap thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Reading comprehension: 101

You already asked that same question here:
Originally Posted by long88vette
I have a l98 with spun bearings and I also have a good lt1 can I put my l98 heads intake and distributor on the lt1 block?

And I answered if for you, here:
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
So you can get rid of the 50 hp advantage that the LT1 provides?

No, you cannot put the L98 top end on the LT1 bottom, practically.

Since this has nothing to do with this thread, perhaps you might have started a new thread? IB4TL
Since you added a bit (Want to keep your stock harness), you can run an LT1 in your car w/the stock harness, with an "LT1 manifold conversion" which is simply modding the LT1 intake to accept your stock distributor. Although the tune won't be ideal, it will probably be "good enough" and work just fine.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-24-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
sparcnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by l98tpi
L98 in 1991 was either 245hp/345lbft or 250hp/350lbft depending on which rear ratio u had. L98 had better exhaust design except for having 3 cats. Better savaging effect with the y-pipe up front vs true dual. If you are concerned about performance just concentrate on your torque and run your car in the peak range.
OK, My car is due for an exhaust repair job v-soon, and after reading this thread maybe I should look at a different system to install, and maybe get a bit more power?
So not wanting to hi-jack the thread, what is the difference (quickly, if possible) between the Y-pipe vs true dual? I am guessing you are talking about running two separate pipes down the length of the car. But don't you still have to fit a balancer tube between the two? (think it goes towards the front). Thats what I had in my 68 Holden Premier with Chevy 350, many years ago.
You can start a new thread if this helps?
We do not need to have a cat fitted here, so I could even get rid of it completely.

Might as well do it right while it's being done.

Cheers Kev.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You dont need a crossover 2 pipes works just fine.
Some like to do it for their own reasons.

Makes working under there easier without it esp dropping the trans.

Dread the next time I have to drop mine.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by sparcnz
So not wanting to hi-jack the thread, what is the difference (quickly, if possible) between the Y-pipe vs true dual?
True duals have two complete pipes running to the back. Optionally, they can be segregated or connected with a H-pipe, or X-pipe. The later looks like an "X". It's open in the middle and allows gases to go down either rear section of both (really both). It should be strategically placed at a point where cooling of the gases starts gaining momentum. There's a procedure for measuring with a gun (sensor) or looking for (temporarily applied) paint transitions from blistering...to not.

H-Pipes are rarely desired/used -- but are still considered balance pipes for equalizing engine bank pressures. Also, for exhaust resonance in rear Y-pipes.

Y-Pipes are the stock L98 config. The front pipes merge into a single, larger pipe. They can (and do) also split back into dual outlets. With optimum-size piping, this y-pipe config has been considered somewhat similar to X-pipe functionality. Though, like an H-pipe, considered to be less than "ideal".

Scavenging discussion with anything less than full-headers and the elimination of cats is also marginally worthwhile. There really isn't THAT much cam overlap to worry about it -- until you get well into the 220 duration cams. That isn't to say every little bit helps. And, unless I misunderstand, the comment about L98's having better exhaust is flat wrong.

Another thought on the difference between L98's and LT-1's. The former has a flat-butt...the later, round. That means the LT-1's have a better booty. Especially if you're into thinking of your car as "your girl"!

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 01-26-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 PM
BGZQ8
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not if it's a 1991.
The following users liked this post:
dm575 (04-26-2017)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:02 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by sparcnz
OK, My car is due for an exhaust repair job v-soon, and after reading this thread maybe I should look at a different system to install, and maybe get a bit more power?
So not wanting to hi-jack the thread, what is the difference (quickly, if possible) between the Y-pipe vs true dual? I am guessing you are talking about running two separate pipes down the length of the car. But don't you still have to fit a balancer tube between the two? (think it goes towards the front). Thats what I had in my 68 Holden Premier with Chevy 350, many years ago.
You can start a new thread if this helps?
We do not need to have a cat fitted here, so I could even get rid of it completely.

Might as well do it right while it's being done.

You will hear various opinions on true duals and y to one. Bottom line is scavenging effect whether a y pipe in the front or an x pipe as close to the front as possible. With that ask yourself, am I weight conscious? If so, then the y into one is most likely your choice. One pipe is lighter than two, even if it is a .5" to 1" larger in diameter. My choice and opinion is for the y to one then y to dual out back.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
You will hear various opinions on true duals and y to one. Bottom line is scavenging effect whether a y pipe in the front or an x pipe as close to the front as possible. With that ask yourself, am I weight conscious? If so, then the y into one is most likely your choice. One pipe is lighter than two, even if it is a .5" to 1" larger in diameter. My choice and opinion is for the y to one then y to dual out back.
I think this is probably pretty good advise.

Years back I did a before and after test on a consistent bracket car. The Before was a 383-SR motor that I shifted at 6000 rpm with 1 3/4" headers into the stock front Y, through a gutted cat, out the stock rear Y and through Muffler eliminators...... switched to true 3" dual exhaust behind the headers.

My ET improvement reward for this money spent was.... nothing.

There might have been 5 HP gain, but it was lost by the extra weight of the dual exhaust. I wish I had weighed the two exhaust systems at the time, but I would guess it was around 50 lb heavier.

I guess what I am saying.... is that for most people, I suspect the stock pipe diameter is hunky dory. But, I know GM went with I think 2.75" pipe with the LT-1 motors.... so I dunno, maybe there is, just wasn't on my 400+HP 383.

Food for thought.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:53 PM
DavidReinbold
7th Gear

Default Cost comparison

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Put a converted LT1 intake or a miniram on your L98 and youll be right about there.
What is the approximate cost of each and is one better than the other?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:33 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Yes they are fragile ..... NOT

Old 08-25-2022, 09:08 PM
Wldman46
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MeanMachine350
L98-
230 HP
330 Torque ft. lbs
5.7 L

LT1-
300 HP
330 Torque ft. lbs
5.7 L

It seems like the L98 and LT1 are mostly alike except for the difference in HP and compression ratio and the LT1 has a optispark while L98 doesn't..

In other words, what makes the LT1 get 300 that the L98 doesn't have? How can a L98 be modded to "become" a LT1?
Very simple same engine one got flat top the other got dish pistons.8.5 dish 11to1 flat top.and cam swap.easy 400 horse with modern cam profiles.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:28 AM
convas
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Wldman46
Very simple same engine one got flat top the other got dish pistons.8.5 dish 11to1 flat top.and cam swap.easy 400 horse with modern cam profiles.
and one got TPI

Quick Reply: Difference between an LT1 & L98?