C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 corvette running rich, black smoke and wont idle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Dirtpoor
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck15racing
Same problem...my injectors open all time key is on do you have 12 volts between two pin on injectors with key on
I will check that this weekend. Can you check the CTS and the TPS with a meter what kind of resistance should there be
Old 12-06-2017, 12:17 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtpoor
I will check that this weekend. Can you check the CTS and the TPS with a meter what kind of resistance should there be
I would have an infrared thermometer and a tech 1 scanner since they can't seem to read 85 cars. Scan the ECM and see what it thinks is going on. Also hit the ECM CTS with the thermometer and see what it is. They should be similar. TPS you can also read with the scanner. Also check what the IAC counts are when it is warmed up. Could be some leak going on. How is your spark quality? Are the wires leaking?
Old 12-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Dirtpoor
6th Gear

Originally Posted by aklim
I would have an infrared thermometer and a tech 1 scanner since they can't seem to read 85 cars. Scan the ECM and see what it thinks is going on. Also hit the ECM CTS with the thermometer and see what it is. They should be similar. TPS you can also read with the scanner. Also check what the IAC counts are when it is warmed up. Could be some leak going on. How is your spark quality? Are the wires leaking?
I have a scanner and i will check the ECM and the CTS. We have a hard time getting it warmed up because it runs so bad. What kind of count am i looking at for the IAC. Plug wires are good. Spark is good
Old 12-06-2017, 04:38 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I have a scanner and i will check the ECM and the CTS. We have a hard time getting it warmed up because it runs so bad. What kind of count am i looking at for the IAC. Plug wires are good. Spark is good
Assuming it will get to idle, with everything but the motor off it should get to about 20-30 counts. The important part is that assuming your timing is on and fuel pressure, if we cannot get past 0, we have an issue with a leak. So if you adjusted the screw back to the point the throttle body blades are completely closed and you still cannot get it to 20-30, you are having more air than you can handle. So you see what the counts are, adjust, rev and recheck. I'd also check the TPS to see it has no flat spots and you are also adjustable there.

Final question, how clean is the TB? Have you removed the IAC and IAC housing and cleaned the passages?
Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Dirtpoor
6th Gear

Assuming it will get to idle, with everything but the motor off it should get to about 20-30 counts. The important part is that assuming your timing is on and fuel pressure, if we cannot get past 0, we have an issue with a leak. So if you adjusted the screw back to the point the throttle body blades are completely closed and you still cannot get it to 20-30, you are having more air than you can handle. So you see what the counts are, adjust, rev and recheck. I'd also check the TPS to see it has no flat spots and you are also adjustable there.

Final question, how clean is the TB? Have you removed the IAC and IAC housing and cleaned the passages?
ok I have read out the CTS its good the tps has voltage but not quite 5v I will recheck that again. Fuel pressure was readjusted from 48 to 42 witch seemed to help but still won’t idle. I can’t figure out how to read the counts you are talking about. The scanner I’m useing is a innova obd 1 or 2. Im getting a code 52 book i have dont show code 52
Thanks for all the help
Old 12-10-2017, 09:44 AM
aklim
Team Owner

ok I have read out the CTS its good the tps has voltage but not quite 5v I will recheck that again. Fuel pressure was readjusted from 48 to 42 witch seemed to help but still won’t idle. I can’t figure out how to read the counts you are talking about. The scanner I’m useing is a innova obd 1 or 2. Im getting a code 52 book i have dont show code 52
Thanks for all the help
What? The reference voltage is 5 so if you are getting 5V, you got the reference wire or something is wrong. It should be around 0.54V not 5V.

42 seems about right for fuel pressure. Take the FPR hose off and see if it smells of gas. At that time, see what fuel pressure reads.

This scanner. Is it a code reader or scanner? Will it read live data or just codes?

Encyclopedia›Exhaust and Emissions›GM OBD Trouble Code 52
GM OBD Trouble Code 52
Fuel cal-pak incorrect or missing

If the ECM detects an internal fault with the Fuel cal-pak or the Fuel cal-pak is missing, code 52 will set. The Fuel cal-pak is a special "chip" that is installed in the ECM, based on the particular vehicle configuration.

Fault Code Description

52 - Fuel cal-pak incorrect or missing
Symptoms

Engine may not start
Poor engine performance
Common Problems

Internal fault with Fuel cal-pak
Fuel cal-pak incorrectly installed in ECM
Old 12-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Dirtpoor
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Redneck15racing
Same problem...my injectors open all time key is on do you have 12 volts between two pin on injectors with key on
All right it is a good day for me!!! Finally the C4 is running again. Very excited about that. It ended up being the burn off relay. Replace the relay cleaned the plugs and all is good
Thanks to everyone that help me you guys are awesome!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

cleaned the plugs and all is good
People actually do that these days? I just buy mid grade ones and toss them every year.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Dirtpoor
6th Gear

People actually do that these days? I just buy mid grade ones and toss them every year.
Well I am dirtpoor 😁

Quick Reply: 85 corvette running rich, black smoke and wont idle.