C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Smells Like Burnt Metal

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:03 PM
blacker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smells Like Burnt Metal

I turned the a/c on in my 89' coupe this morning for the first time in about a year (I drive my car once a week and rarely use the air). I smelled what I thought at first was a wood fire but realized it was burnt metal or plastic. I saw some smoke coming from the front of my car while waiting at a red light but couldn't tell if it was from my car or the crappy truck in front of me. I cut the air off, waited a while and turned it back on. It blew cold. When I got home I noticed some water droplets underneath the compressor lines and some spray droplets around the area. Condensation? The pulley on the front of the compressor smells like burnt metal. When I touched the compressor lines there was water underneath but it did not drip. I started the car again and the belt and pulley function perfectly. The car drives fine as well. The compressor was refilled a year or so ago and worked as it should. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:19 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like the first symptoms of a compressor clutch puking on you.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
myk7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my compressor clutch smoking at idle when the radiator fan wasn't coming on, but it definitely wasn't blowing cold in that instant.

Get notified of new replies

To Smells Like Burnt Metal

Quick Reply: Smells Like Burnt Metal