C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 07:19 PM
jimijoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. What now?

The "Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. I checked the air pressure and I have 33 all around. What should I do???

Thanks
-James
Old 04-24-2002, 07:30 PM
robblk90
Racer

Default Re: "Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. What now? (jimijoe)

Did this occur while you were driving around town? Mine comes on when I do alot of stop and go driving. From what I hear from others it is a common thing when driving in traffic. You can pull the codes to see if it is actually a bad sensor. Post them here and someone can give you the info for which sensor it is.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:16 PM
jimijoe
Advanced

Default Re: "Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. What now? (robblk90)

Thank for the reply.. I think does seem to go off when I am on longer drives... Maybe 20 mins or more with out stoping. What do you mean when you say ...Pull the codes?
Old 04-24-2002, 10:08 PM
LT4CEZ51
Advanced

Default Re: "Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. What now? (jimijoe)

I've had that problem with my '96 when I've run a mix of wheels with and without the transmitters (mix of race and street tires). It will set the Service LTPWS light, and then you have to clear it. Here is the proceedure for the '96. I believe that the '94 is the same; you will have to check with someone else to verify.

Ground terminal 6 to 5 at the DLC connector with the ignition in the On position, this will enable the reciever/control module to display any stored DTC(s) by flashing the "Service LTPWS" light in the DIC. The "Service LTPWS" light will flash in a logical sequence to depict a two digit DTC associated with each low tire or fault condition stored in the diagnostic memory. Each DTC will displayed will consist of a number of flashes representing the first digit, followed by a short pause, followed by a number of flashes for the second digit followed by a long pause indicating the end of the DTC. All DTCs stored in memory will be displayed three times before proceeding to the next DTC. DTC 12 will always preceed any DTCs stored in memory and will be continuously display if no DTCs are present. To exit this mode, remove the jumper (likely a paperclip) from the two terminals.

To clear any LTPWS DTCs: With the ignition on, ground terminal 6 to 5 at the DLC 3 times within 10 seconds. It will confirm this by turning on the "Low/Flat Tire" and "Service LTPWS" lights in the DIC on solild until the key is turned off.

DTC
--------
12 This is normal.
23 Low tire at "orange" sensor (Factory Location : Right Rear)
24 Wheel sensor problem, "orange" sensor (Factory Location : Right Rear)
33 Low tire at "yellow" sensor (Factory Location : Left Rear)
34 Wheel sensor problem, "yellow" sensor (Factory Location : Left Rear)
43 Low tire at "green" sensor (Factory Location : Left Front)
44 Wheel sensor problem, "green" sensor (Factory Location : Left Front)
53 Low tire at "blue" sensor (Factory Location : Right Front)
54 Wheel sensor problem, "blue" sensor (Factory Location : Right Front)
99 Possible receiver fault.

Acronym Reference
--------------------
DLC - Diagnostic Link Connector
DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code
DIC - Driver Information Center (Above climate control with all the lights)
LTPWS - Low Tire Pressure Warning System

I hope this helps. Be sure to verify that this applies to your '94 before you try it.
Thanks,
Ted
96 CE LT4 Z51

[Modified by LT4CEZ51, 8:14 PM 4/24/2002]
Old 04-25-2002, 02:21 PM
jimijoe
Advanced

Default Re: "Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. What now? (LT4CEZ51)

Thanks for the info... I guess I need to get a DLC.

Any recomendations?

[Modified by jimijoe, 6:22 PM 4/25/2002]
Old 04-25-2002, 02:34 PM
LT4CEZ51
Advanced

The DLC is a diagnostic connector that is built into the car. It should be on the driver's side underdash (right above your right kneecap when sitting in the car) This is the port that a technician uses to hook a diagnostic scanner to the car. It is about 3/4" x 1 1/2" and is black. I believe that they had a cap over them from the factory, but most are missing. If you are sitting in the car, and reach up where your right knee is (maybe slightly left depending on height and seating position) you should be able to feel it. It is recessed a bit.

Thanks,
Ted

P.S. I recommend the use of a paper clip bent in a U shape as a jumper wire.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:16 PM
axcelr8
Burning Brakes

Default Re: "Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. What now? (LT4CEZ51)

Pull the bulb.

Get notified of new replies

To "Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. What now?

Quick Reply: "Service low tire pressure warning system" light is on. What now?