C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can't get gear out of headlight motor on 89

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Movnviolation
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't get gear out of headlight motor on 89

Pulled the whole light out of my 89 to do it on the bench. Got everything on bench. Gear cover off. Gear is loose but can't get it to come out. Put small screwdriver through the shaft for leverage like instructions say still no go. I even gave it the finger, and still no go.
Like something is holding it. Any ideas?
Have new gears and bushings waiting.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Loosen the locknut opposite the motor end & turn the screw out a few turns. Count the turns so you can put it back the way it was. IIRC the motor bolts were also loosened 2 turns to allow the worm gear on the motor drive shaft some wiggle room.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Movnviolation
Pro

Went back out at 0500 this A.M. and played with it some more. Backed the worm gear out and that did not help. Finally said the hell with it and pried it out with a awl. Popped right out. Could see no reason for it not to come right out as gear and shaft were loose. Oh well!

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This was the passenger side, right? The gear has a small lip that rides under the worm gear on the right and on top on the left. It snaps back in pretty easy.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Movnviolation
Pro

Job is done and they work great. The first one took about 4 1/2 hrs, and the second one took about 40 minutes. Piece of cake really once you understand them.
tlong, you were correct, it was the pass. side.
Thanks!

Last edited by Movnviolation; 07-09-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 AM
dave73
Intermediate

i found this out on my own too...if you look online and see videos about them, it is always the reasier one... i found out that one motor is one way and the other is the other way...
i took the 2 screws out of the casing and pulled the whole shaft out. then the gear falls rite out. i then took 2 paper clips to hold back the motor brushes to put the shaft back in... turned out that it wasnt to hard...just had to figure it out first...
i was gunna pry mine too but, i figured if the old trash gear has to be pryed out, how am i gunna get the new one in without damage? glad it worked out for ya though...

GOOD DAY!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Can't get gear out of headlight motor on 89

Quick Reply: Can't get gear out of headlight motor on 89