C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC - Fix my stock R12 system or convert to 134a?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:55 AM
Bandit1977
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j-wireman
Is there a refrigerant that is compatible with the oil used with R12 that will, also, run at somewhere near the same pressures?

I was told that R134a IS NOT compatible with the old oil and that there was no way to completely clean all of the old oil out of the system. He said the only way to guarantee that there was no R12 oil in the system was to replace all the components. I refuse to do that for obvious reasons. There must be a refrigerant similar to R12 that is compatible with that oil, yet, still be bought and installed legally. Does anyone know of one?
Freeze12 is compatible and can be bought and installed legally.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:50 AM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I am in a similar situation to the OP and thought I would use this one instead of starting a new thread.

I have an '87 that has been sitting for 9 years that I am in the middle of a light restoration on. AC obviously doesn't work after sitting all of those years. I have also noticed quite a bit of oil on and around the compressor, so I am inclined to think it is on it's way out. Since I plan on replacing/rebuilding the compressor anyway, do you all suggest just doing a R134a conversion while I am at it? I've read a lot about the Freeze 12 and Red-Tek products recently. If I wasn't going to be looking at a compressor replacement, I would consider going that route. But, I'm thinking that long term, I may just be happier doing the conversion at this time.

Any additional thoughts beyond what has already been discussed in this thread?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '90 also needs a refrig charge. Only blows hot air now, in all modes. Got the code in the ECC for low Freon. Where i live, nobody will touch R12 systems. Not legal or safe, so my only option is to convert to R134a. Got a local shop that says they can do it, but not sure how much they willcharge me. They topped off my '88 L98 F-body, but what that really needed was the LP cycling switch. Didnt cost that much. The AC part of your cars HVAC is a critical system, that needs to be working, so i am getting it fixed soon.

Quick Reply: AC - Fix my stock R12 system or convert to 134a?