C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

my 1994 opti has no drive gear my new one has

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
oliver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to put water pump on today, do I have to remove the throttle body to do this? Also I read that alot of people bypass the antifreeze running to the throttle body, would any one have an opinion on this?
Thanks Mike
Old 07-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Drew1Down
Instructor

if your a seasonal driver and only drive your car when its warm out, sure do this mod. If you drive your car in the winter or on very cold mornings, don't do this mod.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...they-work.html
Old 07-13-2011, 03:32 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by oliver
I am going to put water pump on today, do I have to remove the throttle body to do this? Also I read that alot of people bypass the antifreeze running to the throttle body, would any one have an opinion on this?
Thanks Mike
The TB does not need to be removed to reinstall the WP.

On the TB bypass, why not it won't hurt a thing. I've driven my 94 in 20* weather without issues having the TB bypassed.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
The TB does not need to be removed to reinstall the WP.

On the TB bypass, why not it won't hurt a thing. I've driven my 94 in 20* weather without issues having the TB bypassed.
I know this answer to be correct and don’t dispute it.

But just wondering if the A/F mixture is changed, or not, from where it should be when the ECM/PCM takes in to account the inlet (sensor) air temperature and water temperature.

Or, is there a theoretical change but negligible?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Or, is there a theoretical change but negligible?
I'm thinking it would make very little difference. It would be interesting to see the difference in the actual TB temps with and without the TB coolant, and if there was a way to measure the incoming air temp post TB.

A big benefit to me of the TB coolant bypass mod is to be able to remove the intake with the TB intact without losing coolant.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks guys the opti is in, I can not find a socket to remove the cap. I went to sears but they said they dont have a 4 mm 12 point, would anyone know of a place to get one? Can I try to start the car without the water pump hooked up, or is this a bad idea?
Thanks Mike
your fastner is a 6 point "torx" this is were I baught mine for 5 bucks..

http://www.mcmaster.com/#torx-sockets/=d5vglw
Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 AM
oliver
Advanced

Thanks everone for the help on this car, I have everthing back together. I still have to put antifreeze in but I am a little lost how to do it. Someone said to fill the block first but I am not sure how to do that? I understand the bleeding of the antifreeze with the rag to keep the opti dry.
Mike
Old 07-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Drew1Down
Instructor

Thanks everone for the help on this car, I have everthing back together. I still have to put antifreeze in but I am a little lost how to do it. Someone said to fill the block first but I am not sure how to do that? I understand the bleeding of the antifreeze with the rag to keep the opti dry.
Mike
when you have the water pump installed hook up all the hoses but the drivers side (inlet) water pump hose (NOT the thermostat housing hole, the one to the right of it), use that hole (on the water pump) to fill your block.

I used a short old radiator hose connected to the inlet pointed up to fill it. Once i hear it start to gurgle i stop and reconnect the radiator hose, then fill my coolent tank.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 PM
oliver
Advanced

Thanks for the information on filling the block, it worked good for me. The car is running good, I put about 5 miles on and will check the antifreeze level when the motor cools down. I just want to thank everybody for the good advice and getting me through this project, at first I thought that replacing the opti was amost impossible for me to do but with this forumn and all the advice I did it.
Mike

Quick Reply: my 1994 opti has no drive gear my new one has