C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil pan gasket replacement

Old 07-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi
Lucky for you GM made it real easy to remove the sump and replace the gasket, I believe you need the one piece gasket for the 91 vette.
Jack the car up nice and high, use stands so the car does not fall on you
Drain the oil/ fuel, remove the knock sensor guard and remove the sump/ oil pan bolts and remove sump.
Install a new gasket and bolt it back on, don't over tighten
hi,
update, so i took the intake apart, i thought i had read in some thread that u could take out the fuel rails without taking out the runners, but i found that impossiable!! maybe because my runners are edelbrock high flow, anyways, i sent the injectors to john from fic, now i have the car on the jack stands and im looking underneeth it and wondering if i will have to remove the 2 brackets that kind of covers the front of the oil pan and supports the center thing that has the leaf spring bolts in it, so do i need to do that or not? thanks
Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

and i supose that i dont need to put any silicone on it right??
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

ok its really pain in the a......, so far i got the starter out too, and im rotating the engine and there is no way i can get it out unless if i take down the 2 supports, i'm even drinking beer while im working on it and its still not helping!! lol
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The most I have to do on my '85 is rotate the engine if a crank throw is in the way, the pan comes right out. You will want to put a dab of silicone in each corner where the front cover and the rear main cap join the block. Then put the gasket in and put another dab on top of the gasket in the same places. When I say a dab I mean just that, a glob is overkill and usually does more harm than good.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ricky 91 vette
ok its really pain in the a......, so far i got the starter out too, and im rotating the engine and there is no way i can get it out unless if i take down the 2 supports, i'm even drinking beer while im working on it and its still not helping!! lol
We've ran into this before, for some reason some engines are situated a bit lower in the chassis or ??? and the pan will not clear. How about if you remove the studs in the rear corners?
Old 07-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
We've ran into this before, for some reason some engines are situated a bit lower in the chassis or ??? and the pan will not clear. How about if you remove the studs in the rear corners?
thanks midnight for the respond, the pan was stock with the the starter selinioid when i was trying to pull it down so i removed the starter, and that allowed me to take down the cover of the flywheel, but i dont know if u have in your 85 those 2 support brackets that are right underneeth the oilpan from the front, and they are not allowing it to move down more, and i cant pull it to the back because then it hit the flywheel!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

im in the process of removing those 2 support brackets, i had to remove them once before when i took down the headers to rap them and install them back
Old 07-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Yep, mine has those brackets. Like I said earlier, some of us can remove the pan with no trouble while others have to remove those brackets. I have no explanation. It's almost 1 a.m. here, you're on your own.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Yep, mine has those brackets. Like I said earlier, some of us can remove the pan with no trouble while others have to remove those brackets. I have no explanation. It's almost 1 a.m. here, you're on your own.
ok i guss it is my great luck as usual it look like my car is the 1% that you have to remove them, thanks alot have a good night
Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

i just got it out now finaly!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:56 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
The Factory Service Manual which is sold by Helm Inc.
thanks to u too for ur help
Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

My '85 Vette has a two piece rear main seal while my Camino has a late model vortec 350 with a one piece rear main seal and neither one has such a thing. Now maybe the LT engines may have some such thing but to be completely honest I find it REAL hard to believe Fel- Pro would produce a gasket you had to modify to fit. Just get the Fel pro one piece gasket that is made for your '91 and you'll be okay.
If you have the LT1 engine, then you have a one piece rear main seal, right? The frame for the rear main seal has two studs for the oil pan. It is the raised lip or boss that these studs screw into that causes the problem with the one piece oil pan gasket washers, as the washers will not fit over these raised lips or bosses.

An '85 Vette has the L98 engine and I think it has the two piece rear main seal...so no problem with the one piece oil pan gasket washers.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LannyL81
If you have the LT1 engine, then you have a one piece rear main seal, right? The frame for the rear main seal has two studs for the oil pan. It is the raised lip or boss that these studs screw into that causes the problem with the one piece oil pan gasket washers, as the washers will not fit over these raised lips or bosses.

An '85 Vette has the L98 engine and I think it has the two piece rear main seal...so no problem with the one piece oil pan gasket washers.

Like I said, it may be on an LT engine but it is not on an L98. Ricky has an L98. I still don't believe Fel-Pro would make a product that needs to be modified to work. My one piece rear main in my El Camino has the one piece gasket and there was no modification to it to fit. While I admit I know zip about a LT-1 and your claim may be true but your advice was off since he does not have an LT-1
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by LannyL81
If you use the FelPro 1 piece gasket be WARNED that the washers embedded in the gasket at the two rear holes must be removed. These washers do not fit over the bosses in the rear main seal frame that the studs are screwed into...and thus do not let the gasket to fit against the engine block....it will leak....believe me...I found this out the hard way.

Even if you use the four piece oil pan gasket you have to enlarge the holes for the rear two holes to fit over the bosses.

Check this out before you put silicon in the four corners.
Update, after cleaning the area I tested the fit of the felpro one piece gasket, and I fit perfectly! The rear main seal studs u mentioned were not a problem at all, maybe ur studs had some rust on them and that's why were not fitting, I put silicone on the four corners and install the casket and the pan and everything was alright!!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

But Im not gonna put the e supports back in place till I put the intake together and start the car and inspect the pan again for leaks!!! After all this work, I can't aloud and drops of oil in my garage!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:08 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Like I said, it may be on an LT engine but it is not on an L98. Ricky has an L98. I still don't believe Fel-Pro would make a product that needs to be modified to work. My one piece rear main in my El Camino has the one piece gasket and there was no modification to it to fit. While I admit I know zip about a LT-1 and your claim may be true but your advice was off since he does not have an LT-1
FeloPro worked fine on my '96, both on prior motors and the current 383. It required zero modification. My guess is that there is an issue with the studs in Lanny's engine and how far they are seated. The seat of the stud is wider than the stud itself. If slightly exposed, this which would prevent a gasket from seating properly.

I just installed a new pan on mine and although I used a Canton gasket (which looks to be a reboxed GM gasket), it had the same metal washers as the FelPro gasket that came off of there. It's leak free.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky 91 vette
I can't aloud and drops of oil in my garage!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pan gasket replacement

Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Ya gotta think positive,,, that new gasket will keep things drier than a popcorn fart.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Hey come on now, give me a break!!! I meant :
I can't allow any more oil drops in my garage!!
I was using my I phone and some times it corrects or modifies the words!! Sorry for confusing you mister!! Lol
Old 07-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Yes.

Please buy a service manual. It'll be the best $100 you've ever spent.
By the way, that helped a lot!!!
Telling me yes without saying HOW!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil pan gasket replacement