C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hawk HPS or Napa Ultra Premium

Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 AM
pghjeeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hawk HPS or Napa Ultra Premium

Sorry to post a second time today but I need to order my pads ASAP. This is for mt 1985 Vett looking at Hawk HPS or NAPA Ultra Premium Semi-Metalics. I can get the NAPA pads fo 101.00 full set of the Hawks for 167.00 full set. There is not a huge selcetion for the early Vettes. This is strictly a street driven weekend driver type car. Low dust would be a plus as would a little better brake performance
Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 AM
timmy 93
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hawk on my 93 vette.Vary happy with the performance.I also when to valioline syntech brake fluid at the same time.Big change for the better.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Toy90
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the HPS and they stop really well, but they are not low dust. Pads that stop well make dust and that is the trade off. My Carbotech race pads are crazy dusty but I don't have a choice unless I want to die at Road America coming into a corner. Having said that HPS are very mild compared to HPS+ or beyond. HPS+ squeal on light braking in addition to making dust. According to Carbotech their dust is not as corrosive as Hawks but I can't confirm that for sure. For just street driving either of your pad choices will work but you will clean your wheels more with Hawks. It depends on how aggressive you drive and whether you need or want the Hawks.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked EBC Yellowstuff for the street(I drove them on the track and they did well too!) The price is $138.
I found the dusting to be very mild.
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3072A0A0.aspx

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/produc...r=1985&avail=1
Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

im using hawk ceramics (not HPS) and I really like them and they are low dust. Call up Summit and see if they carry them for your car. They ship really fast.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Have a relatively new 4 wheel set set of Hawk HPS on the shelf for a later C4. Took them off & installed the NAPA premium metallic pads & like them better for normal use. The Hawks were a bit cold blooded for me, they were OK around town & probably work well for track use. Will probably install the Hawks again if I decide to do a HPDE day but do not anticipate that happening any time soon. May sell the Hawks.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:43 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Toy90
. According to Carbotech their dust is not as corrosive as Hawks but I can't confirm that for sure..
This is good information.

This is merely speculation, but perhaps Carbotech knows that Hawk has them beat and the only marketing point they can make is that Hawk's dust isnt as corrosive as theirs.

I am very happy with Hawk HP+ on 13" baer eradispeed slotted rotors.

There is a slight squeal on light, cold braking. For some it will drive nuts. I recognize the tradeoff and would rather drive it.

They are extremely dusty though. There is no issue with any problems, related to the dust, on my 96 black grandsport OE wheels.

Hawk have proven themselves time and time again on this forum, so go hawk vs. anything else.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sidney004
I liked EBC Yellowstuff for the street(I drove them on the track and they did well too!) The price is $138.
I found the dusting to be very mild.
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3072A0A0.aspx

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/produc...r=1985&avail=1
dont know about EBC yellowstuff, but the EBC greenstuff was so terrible a pad that they couldnt handle a single 80 to 10 MPH without fading .
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

This is merely speculation, but perhaps Carbotech knows that Hawk has them beat and the only marketing point they can make is that Hawk's dust isnt as corrosive as theirs.

There is a slight squeal on light, cold braking. For some it will drive nuts. I recognize the tradeoff and would rather drive it.

They are extremely dusty though. There is no issue with any problems, related to the dust, on my 96 black grandsport OE wheels.

Hawk have proven themselves time and time again on this forum, so go hawk vs. anything else.
Not true Hawk and Carbotech are diffrent compounds.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by pghjeeper
Sorry to post a second time today but I need to order my pads ASAP. This is for mt 1985 Vett looking at Hawk HPS or NAPA Ultra Premium Semi-Metalics. I can get the NAPA pads fo 101.00 full set of the Hawks for 167.00 full set. There is not a huge selcetion for the early Vettes. This is strictly a street driven weekend driver type car. Low dust would be a plus as would a little better brake performance
look at the Carbotech 1521

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

http://www.ctbrakes.com/about.asp
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

EBC makes good brakes but I'm hurting spending 160.00 for the hawks. The Napa are much more wallet friendly at 102.00 for all four wheels
Old 07-19-2011, 03:47 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Ok, if I wanted the same level of performance as hawk hp+, which carbotechs would I want?

Dust / noise I don't care as much about.

I believe if they don't dust they don't stop.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:04 PM
jan-erik
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 85 and as stockk the brakes are terribly bad in what to be on a performance car.
I have been throug several pads semi metallic , ebc etc.
Then I changed the rotors to Powerslot and pads to Hawk HPS. Was much better, but not quite good as I wanted them to be.
Was recommended HAwk HP plus. Wow that was a quantuum leap. Now the brakes are acceptible and the initial bite is good even with cold brakes and becomemuch better with hot brakes.
Drawback is dust and some squeeling now and then. That does not matter for me as safety is the most important thing in a performance car.
With progressive driviingthe brakes become hot and hadsome fading due to brake fluid boiling.
>Changed to the Castrol SRF which I think has one of the highest boiling points there is and does not take up humidity as normal fluids. No danger with stock gaskets in the braking system.
After the change I have not any success in having fading brakes
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Ok, if I wanted the same level of performance as hawk hp+, which carbotechs would I want?

Dust / noise I don't care as much about.

I believe if they don't dust they don't stop.
A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (200°F-1350°F+). Carbotech XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with 100% non-corrosive dust. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, SRF, H4, H5, and other cars that weigh less than 2,400lbs. Perfect for novice, intermediate and advanced track day (HPDE) use with any tire, and can still be driven safely to and from the track. There are several vehicles that use XP8™ on the street, autocross, and at track day (HPDE) events. Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. XP8™ is also a great rear brake pad for almost any race car (Spec Miata-T1/T2/CMC). XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 AM
pghjeeper
Racer

Somwhere along the line my post turned into an oxiclean commercial.....wheres Billy Mays when you need him.....
Hi I'm Billy Mays for the new Carbotech brakes they are so good they will no only stop your car faster but will also give 20 additional brake horsepower. You think thats great well you can also take them off the car and use them as a detergent to clean the skidders out of your underoos from all the extra ponies.....but just wait if you act now we will throw in a shamwow.

J/K
Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

So a lot of stuff tossed around in this thread.

For the original poster - since price is your main concern, go with the NAPA pads. expect them to be similar to stock pads.

For the others I've used lots of different pads on 3200lb vehicles. On the street and on the track. I personally have settled on Carbotech pads (XP12/XP10) For time trials using the J55 brakes that came on my car.

Some experiences:
Hawk Blues - for a track only pad these were great. Drawbacks: the dust turns to a concrete on the wheels and is impossible to get off the painted surfaces. You will change rotors everytime you change pads, if you don't crack them first.

EBC Yellow - what a piece of JUNK. They do not work as well as the Carbotech street pad on the track! On they street they sorta work equivalent to other street pads.

Hawk HPS - STREET ONLY! Have these on the wifes 2004 Corvette. They work great in street driving, a little dusty but it comes of easily. Wear pretty well, she has had them on for about a year and they are down to maybe 3/4 on the front - so lots of pad left.

Performance Friction Z - I used these on an 88 with the small brakes. Great street/autocross pad. I first started HPDE sessions with these and thought they were good. Don't know if you can still find them - if you can they would be a good starting point.

Carbotech - I personally love these pads. With j55 brakes and XP12 on the front and xp10 on the rear I can slow from 140ish to 50 ish in less room than anything else I've used. On the street the xp10 and xp8 are very streetable, little noise but stop better than street pads.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:42 AM
pghjeeper
Racer

Originally Posted by jaa1992
So a lot of stuff tossed around in this thread.

For the original poster - since price is your main concern, go with the NAPA pads. expect them to be similar to stock pads.

For the others I've used lots of different pads on 3200lb vehicles. On the street and on the track. I personally have settled on Carbotech pads (XP12/XP10) For time trials using the J55 brakes that came on my car.

Some experiences:
Hawk Blues - for a track only pad these were great. Drawbacks: the dust turns to a concrete on the wheels and is impossible to get off the painted surfaces. You will change rotors everytime you change pads, if you don't crack them first.

EBC Yellow - what a piece of JUNK. They do not work as well as the Carbotech street pad on the track! On they street they sorta work equivalent to other street pads.

Hawk HPS - STREET ONLY! Have these on the wifes 2004 Corvette. They work great in street driving, a little dusty but it comes of easily. Wear pretty well, she has had them on for about a year and they are down to maybe 3/4 on the front - so lots of pad left.

Performance Friction Z - I used these on an 88 with the small brakes. Great street/autocross pad. I first started HPDE sessions with these and thought they were good. Don't know if you can still find them - if you can they would be a good starting point.

Carbotech - I personally love these pads. With j55 brakes and XP12 on the front and xp10 on the rear I can slow from 140ish to 50 ish in less room than anything else I've used. On the street the xp10 and xp8 are very streetable, little noise but stop better than street pads.
Thank you great explination with great real world experience
Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 288 Likes on 221 Posts

I have HPS on my 96 need heat to work right and dust lot's dust . Just around town not the hps ..Guy told me boy you need two or three sets of pads change for how you are going to drive the thing.. I guessed he hasen't priced then lately...

Get notified of new replies

To Hawk HPS or Napa Ultra Premium

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hawk HPS or Napa Ultra Premium