C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dropped the ZF today and discovered problem. Yet i still can't get it fixed HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable
FINAL UPDATE HOPEFULLY

Everything seems to clear very well now. It's still very tight in there but so far nothing is touching. Had my wife push the pedal to the floor while i turned the motor by hand.

I took a measurement and the clutch from fully engaged to fully disengaged has a total travel of right around a 1/4 inch. Anyone know if this is within spec?
isn't the devil always in the details ? a too long ball stud ?

in my correspondence with ZFdoc, I was quoted 0.290" to 0.315" (which I believe would be for a completely stock set up ?) My Spec stage three plus came in at 0.220"; admittedly on the low side, but the clutch functioned perfectly...and as time went by, some of the inevitably entrained air bubbles in the slave cylinder may have worked their way upward and out of the slave cylinder (the factory claims these units are self bleeding,,,yeah, right)..so the final travel may actually have ended up being slightly more.

good luck and thanks from all who use this forum for your preserverance and willingness to share your hard earned knowledge ; that's a big two
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 AM
SPEC-01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caleb, I am glad that everything worked out and that the ball-stud fixed this. Proper set-up is imperative.

As for the flywheel pics, what do the rest of the parts looks like. Clutch life is relative to so many factors including usage, power output and clutch stage, driving style, gear, tires, etc...

I don't feel like we were under the bus...in fact I think that we did everything we could to assist the customer and at the end of the day that is all we can do! Fault us if you like but realize that the clutch kit isn't the only factor responsible for proper clutch function.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Caleb, I am glad that everything worked out and that the ball-stud fixed this. Proper set-up is imperative.

As for the flywheel pics, what do the rest of the parts looks like. Clutch life is relative to so many factors including usage, power output and clutch stage, driving style, gear, tires, etc...

I don't feel like we were under the bus...in fact I think that we did everything we could to assist the customer and at the end of the day that is all we can do! Fault us if you like but realize that the clutch kit isn't the only factor responsible for proper clutch function.
Thanks Jeremy. could you tell us how much travel there should be with the plate disengaged to engaged? I was seeing right around a quarter inch or just a hair under. Again this is with a machinist ruler not a set of calipers. Just want to make sure that is right before i button it all up.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 AM
SPEC-01
Intermediate

You should see complete release within 1/4" on these units. You can pull more of course but it isn't needed.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

To Jeremy,

Just so me and others know, I have a completely OEM dual mass flywheel and clutch. All is working just fine for now, but in the future when the clutch starts to age, Is there a complete flywheel and clutch package that will bolt right up and work without any problems? What would be that part number if you have it. Mine is a 92 vert 6spd all OEM, but soon to be a LT4 top end motor with a Hot cam.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by Strick
To Jeremy,

Just so me and others know, I have a completely OEM dual mass flywheel and clutch. All is working just fine for now, but in the future when the clutch starts to age, Is there a complete flywheel and clutch package that will bolt right up and work without any problems? What would be that part number if you have it. Mine is a 92 vert 6spd all OEM, but soon to be a LT4 top end motor with a Hot cam.
I bolted a Spec extra-mass billet steel SMF and Spec Stage 2 clutch kit into my bone-stock '94 LT1 convertible last year, and had no fitment issues of any kind. I don't have the part numbers handy, but you can get them by calling Spec. I would also recommend you ask them if the Stage 2 kit would be the best choice for your higher-torque application. They might suggest something different.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM
SPEC-01
Intermediate

My recommendation would be dependent on the nature of your clutch use. If the car is daily driven, even with the mods you reference, I would suggest the Stage 2 (SC422Z) and our heavy weight steel flywheel (SC05S-2) for great drivability and capacity. As long as you don't ride the clutch or slip it aggressively this would be a great set-up for you!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
My recommendation would be dependent on the nature of your clutch use. If the car is daily driven, even with the mods you reference, I would suggest the Stage 2 (SC422Z) and our heavy weight steel flywheel (SC05S-2) for great drivability and capacity. As long as you don't ride the clutch or slip it aggressively this would be a great set-up for you!
Thank you. I'll put a book mark on this for future reference.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Blue95C4
Instructor

How 'bout a follow-up ?? Hows the clutch breaking in ?

Don R
Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Sorry completely missed your post! Car isn't running yet. Getting a new MiniRam this week. Hope to have it up and running next month. I'll post up my review on the clutch though when i do!

Quick Reply: Dropped the ZF today and discovered problem. Yet i still can't get it fixed HELP