C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dropped the ZF today and discovered problem. Yet i still can't get it fixed HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Are all of the parts, except for the flywheel, disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing, the original parts?

Is this a magnesium bellhousing, or aluminum? If it's the magnesium piece, you did remember to reinstall the anti-galvanic spacer between the bellhousing and engine block, right?

Live well,

SJW
Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Wow! After seeing several threads with this same issue, I will never buy a SPEC clutch in my life. Ill be putting a Quarter Master in mine.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:32 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Caleb, after reading all this, I think it's time for a 4L60E.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:38 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Caleb, after reading all this, I think it's time for a 4L60E.
He is a Young man yet Will........Caleb.
He is full of Spirit & Adrenalin running through his Veins 24/7/365 days a year.

He loves rowing the gears for himself likely.

He will get the problem(s) sorted out.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:52 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
He is a Young man yet Will........Caleb.
He is full of Spirit & Adrenalin running through his Veins 24/7/365 days a year.

He loves rowing the gears for himself likely.

He will get the problem(s) sorted out.

I know that Brian, but we could have him on the road tomorrow with a slushbox conversion and he'll be quicker in the quarter with no breakage. Willie
Old 07-24-2011, 02:12 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
I know that Brian, but we could have him on the road tomorrow with a slushbox conversion and he'll be quicker in the quarter with no breakage. Willie
I know Will,

If I was still in my 20's I would not listen to anyone like us in our 40's 100% of the time.

Caleb may have a real time keeping up shifting with TPI Jim's longblock motor being installed.

Time will tell.

Its good to have "Young Blood" back in the C4 hobby building & going racing once again here on C4.

When old timer's like on us are gone,
Caleb will carry the Torch on....... March on leading the way.

Brian
Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Looks like one major headache and so close to ready to drive. I do not look forward to my turn with these manual transmission teething problems.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:36 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

autos overalll are the way to go for drag racing but rowing gears with some real power behind you is always a blast.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

Yeah i prob should put an auto in but honestly i never will. I know this tranny can handle way more abuse and power than I'm gonna throw at it. And i just LOVE jammin gears with some serious power.

Alright well i strengthened up the fork this afternoon. I think i could use it in place of a jack stand LOL. It ain't EVER gonna bend anywhere.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Dr. Huxtable, exactly what was the problem you were experiencing. I will be honest, I installed (had installed) a spec clutch last June and it has been slipping like mad for the last 6 months. I put in a new clutch cylinder, slave etc. I auto cross the car, bought the clutch and flywheel they recommended for that and have been totally unhappy with the product. But the top of the thread doesn't give the symptoms of your problem that led you to have to drop the unit again.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Caleb,

If you do happen to call Spec clutches tomorrow,

Ask them the recommended clutch disc to pressure plate cover or clutch disc to flywheel Release distance is.

Its typically .035" to .045" on a diaphragm style clutch,

Around .040" to .050" for a Borg & Beck style clutch.

And around .050" to .060" for a Ford Long style clutch.

You make the check with the transmission installed & a helper sitting down in the Driver's seat.
He depresses the clutch pedal fully to the floor & holds it there.
Don't have him let up even 1/4" of an inch.

Scoot back underneath your Vette & take a Feeler Gauge set with you.
Check for at least .035" release.
You may need to wiggle the clutch disc with a screwdriver to move it back against the flywheel or the pressure plate.
The choice is yours what side of the clutch disc to measure between.

You can stack Feeler Gauges together to obtain .035" to .040".
Such as .025" + a .010".

Likely there is some sort of GEOMETRY Error in the Bellhousing to engine block, throwout fork, ball stud, throwout bearing.
Even getting the incorrect style throwout bearing will screw you up badly.
Such as you have going on now.
You need to determine what is wrong yet.

The Feeler Gauge check for clutch disc release is the most accurate of all tests.

Most BlowProof - Scatter shields have a 7/8" to 1" hole on the bottom.
6' O clock position.
That gives you access to insert your Feeler Gauge(s) in to check.

On stock bellhousings that are fully encased I have drilled 1" inch holes at the bottom 6" O'clock position.
Make my check then.

You likely don't want to do that to your Magnesium ZF Bellhousing.
But if It was my Vette , I would drill that hole.
Choice is yours of course.

You have the grinding & rubbing problem sorted out for now.
That's for sure.

BR
Old 07-24-2011, 07:27 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you ever check to see if your should bolts made the Pressure Plate bolt down flush to the FW?

If the shoulder bolt holes are not deep enough, the bolts will not pull the PP down tight to the FW,,, its a 5 minute fix if you need to counter bore the holes another .030 or .060 " etc
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grantar2
Dr. Huxtable, exactly what was the problem you were experiencing. I will be honest, I installed (had installed) a spec clutch last June and it has been slipping like mad for the last 6 months. I put in a new clutch cylinder, slave etc. I auto cross the car, bought the clutch and flywheel they recommended for that and have been totally unhappy with the product. But the top of the thread doesn't give the symptoms of your problem that led you to have to drop the unit again.
This car hasn't been started or run yet. Thank goodness. The problem is explained in full in my other thread i started. See there

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Caleb,

If you do happen to call Spec clutches tomorrow,

Ask them the recommended clutch disc to pressure plate cover or clutch disc to flywheel Release distance is.

Its typically .035" to .045" on a diaphragm style clutch,

Around .040" to .050" for a Borg & Beck style clutch.

And around .050" to .060" for a Ford Long style clutch.

You make the check with the transmission installed & a helper sitting down in the Driver's seat.
He depresses the clutch pedal fully to the floor & holds it there.
Don't have him let up even 1/4" of an inch.

Scoot back underneath your Vette & take a Feeler Gauge set with you.
Check for at least .035" release.
You may need to wiggle the clutch disc with a screwdriver to move it back against the flywheel or the pressure plate.
The choice is yours what side of the clutch disc to measure between.

You can stack Feeler Gauges together to obtain .035" to .040".
Such as .025" + a .010".

Likely there is some sort of GEOMETRY Error in the Bellhousing to engine block, throwout fork, ball stud, throwout bearing.
Even getting the incorrect style throwout bearing will screw you up badly.
Such as you have going on now.
You need to determine what is wrong yet.

The Feeler Gauge check for clutch disc release is the most accurate of all tests.

Most BlowProof - Scatter shields have a 7/8" to 1" hole on the bottom.
6' O clock position.
That gives you access to insert your Feeler Gauge(s) in to check.

On stock bellhousings that are fully encased I have drilled 1" inch holes at the bottom 6" O'clock position.
Make my check then.

You likely don't want to do that to your Magnesium ZF Bellhousing.
But if It was my Vette , I would drill that hole.
Choice is yours of course.

You have the grinding & rubbing problem sorted out for now.
That's for sure.

BR
What i discovered

After much time fooling with it tonight i've determined that the flywheel, disc, & PP assembly are to thick.

When i mounted up the slave cylinder and depress the clutch it felt way wrong. Had my father in law hit the clutch while i looked in there. re pulled the slave cylinder and found that it was completely out, i mean hyper expanded. It was just barely able to touch the fork. Which if you think about it for a few minutes and how the system works that means the flywheel, disc and PP assembly is to thick.

That pushes the throwout bearing back further and the fork back further, and the opposite end far away from the slave cylinder. That would also explain the rubbing of the fork against the PP.

Overall BAD DESIGN or lack thereof. I'll be calling them tomorrow.

I Personally think the flywheel is to thick.

Originally Posted by LD85
Did you ever check to see if your should bolts made the Pressure Plate bolt down flush to the FW?

If the shoulder bolt holes are not deep enough, the bolts will not pull the PP down tight to the FW,,, its a 5 minute fix if you need to counter bore the holes another .030 or .060 " etc
Hey thanks for the pointer. Wish that were the prob but the PP is resting flush against the flywheel on the outside at the 6 points in which it bolts to the flywheel

Last edited by Dr.Huxtable; 08-04-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LD85
Disgustingly hilarious, I too could pull my ZF quick after so many attempts to make it work,,, trying PUSH type TOB's etc.

Bought the TKO00, installed it, and have never pulled it back out since the day I put it in

I hope you figure it out soon, for SBC's,, the FW's have standard thicknesses as do the friction disc, so I can't imagine what the problem might be...short of a mismatched PP

Just had a thought, make sure your bolt shoulders bottom out in the countersunk holes,, you cna check this by making sure the PP is tight against the FW
I really think like you mentioned that the Flywheel is to thick and or the entire assembly. Did some more looking and playin with it tonight and the slave cylinder can BARELY reach the fork.
Originally Posted by 5abivt
Sorry I don't have anything to add but I'm envious of you guys pulling the clutch and trans etc and knowing which bolt goes where. If you don't mind me asking will the fsm show which bolts and the lengths and where they go?

I have never tackled a clutch or trans job. The last shoppe tossed everything into a bin so all the bolts are mixed up. My motor Will be in my hands soon but i fear I won't get it into the car anytime soon.
Not sure if it will show you the length but it will show you where they go. If you ever have any questions about pullin the trans pm me. I can answer any questions on it
Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

VARIOUS info I got from Centerforce tech, Roger Warner, during my ZF swap escapade.....

You FW should be no more than 1.0", actually a little less from the back of the flange to the disc surface.

1. The clutch requires 3/8" to 7/16" of a linear inch in order to release the clutch, you can use the rest of the travel from the throwout bearing for free play. The installed height of the fingers from new to completely worn out will raise about 7/16"

2. The centerforce flywheel thickness is .950"-.960" from the clutch surface to the back of the mount flange

3. In regards to the transmission input shaft, I recommend dry graphite or leave the input shaft dry. As for the bearing retainer collar that the supports the inner diameter of the throwout bearing, I recommend a light film of high temp grease such as disc brake grease, do not use white lithium grease as it this grease can not handle high temperature.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

when there's massive interference, somethings not right . obviously. I put a spec three plus with their light weight billet flywheel, new throw out bearing, new clutch fork, in my '96 and assembly was a breeze with no problems....I can't understand the massive problems that you are having. There just absolutely has to be a parts mix up somewhere.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Yeah exactly there just has to be. I mean it's beyond bad. Like i mentioned the ball stud is completely secure and as far back as it can go and the slave cylinder can just touch the fork fully extended. that's just not right. I'm call SPEC in a few min

Before i do anything I'm gonna ask them to tell me the part number i need for my car for the flywheel and see what they say. Cause i know the part number i have

Get notified of new replies

To Dropped the ZF today and discovered problem. Yet i still can't get it fixed HELP

Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

I like your comments.

I am a field engineer for a major automotive components manufacturer.

yes, I break rules all the time for my customers.

Especially if its the first time. (If they ask me to do it again and again - when it was their fault - just because I did it once, its a different story)

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 07-28-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable

Overall BAD DESIGN or lack thereof. I'll be calling them tomorrow.

I Personally think the flywheel is to thick. The part number on the flywheel is SC05S but when i look on SPEC's website and put in my car details they say i need SC55S . . . . .
What year is your car? From the SPEC website...

Flywheels
Year Span Engine Includes Steel Aluminum
1994 1996 5.7L LT-1,LT-4 SC05S SC05A

I have the SC05S in mine and had this issue.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
danvan1
Intermediate

i just went thru the same problem with a mcloude clutch and fly wheel and talked to there tech guys the soloution they came up with was to take the light weight flywheel i just bought from them and take .125 thou from the face of it it worked like a charm no more issues when i called back and asked why they did not do it at the factory they had no good answer

any way it solved my problem

Quick Reply: Dropped the ZF today and discovered problem. Yet i still can't get it fixed HELP