C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

smokin in OD,4+3 tranny,85.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM
pennscreek
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smokin in OD,4+3 tranny,85.

when cruisin down the road in 4th with the OD on, there was so much blue smoke coming out the back that I lookied like a PITTS stuntplane on the 4th of july. when I clicked the OD off, the smoke cleared up? Put it up on jack stands and found fluid on the passenger side undercarrage.Ran the car on stands and could not find a leak? What"s up with this? running aroud at slower speeds, the OD seems to be ok. When this first happened,I was doing about 75. HELP.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was the leaking fluid pink or tan?

And check the fluid level in the OD unit. It may have stopped leaking because it all leaked
out. In fact, check all the oil levels, tranny and engine.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet
Was the leaking fluid pink or tan?

And check the fluid level in the OD unit. It may have stopped leaking because it all leaked
out. In fact, check all the oil levels, tranny and engine.
The 4+3 doesn't hold a lot of fluid (less than 3 quarts) so if there was a leak, it wouldn't take very long to lose the fluid. If all of the fluid has leaked out, the OD should not be working..... You don't want to run the car without fluid in the OD unit!

If you use the search function and enter "4+3" you should find threads on changing the fluid and replacing the filter. It's not too difficult and doesn't cost more than $20 to $25 to do yourself. If you can't find anything in the search results, PM me and I'll get you some information.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 AM
pennscreek
Intermediate

Default smokin 4+3

thanks guys for the info. the fluid was pinkish{tranny fluid} and was 1/2 qt low.We don't know why or how it came out of where it came out of? The fluid & filter was changed about 18 months ago with no problems after that till now.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I'd top up the 4+3, and run it on stands.

I think I'd Gunk the bottom of the car first to get the mess off.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:10 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There is a vent at the top of the OD unit. It's possible it may have gotten clogged up and some pressure might have built up and cleared any clog forcing it out the vent. Feel around at the top of the OD housing to see if there is any fluid/moisture.

BTW, it's a good idea to change the fluid and filter annually or every 12 to 15 thousand miles.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 AM
pennscreek
Intermediate

Default 4+3 tranny smoke

thanks for the tip on the top vent,We did'nt know about that.It makes the most sense,so it will get a good look.will post after this weekends run and show.

Get notified of new replies

To smokin in OD,4+3 tranny,85.

Quick Reply: smokin in OD,4+3 tranny,85.