C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'94 Horn Alarm Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Donne Trav
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '94 Horn Alarm Fuse?

I understand that there is a "separate" fuse controlling the alarm
system on the '94 Corvette. I've been told the 15 amp fuse in the fuse
box is for "normal" horn operations, so where exactly would the fuse
controlling the "alarm" system be located? Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donne Trav
no owner's manual? if so it is in the back pages. on '91 there is one fuse for horns, in aux fuse panels under glove box. none in main fuse box as I recall.

I thought you verifed the alarm works? same horns and relay.

Donne, you will get more useful comments if you explain everything you have done so far, ex, did you verify that the relay clicks when horn is pushed? it is loud enuff to hear.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Donne Trav
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joe paco
no owner's manual? if so it is in the back pages. on '91 there is one fuse for horns, in aux fuse panels under glove box. none in main fuse box as I recall.

I thought you verifed the alarm works? same horns and relay.

Donne, you will get more useful comments if you explain everything you have done so far, ex, did you verify that the relay clicks when horn is pushed? it is loud enuff to hear.
The horn switch/contacts in the steering wheel have been removed—all
broken and in pieces. I have ordered a NEW SWITCH. But when doing
an "alarm test" as suggested (power locked the doors — stood outside — manually unlocked) no alarm ( maybe bad relay also). At present, I'm seeking to find the "separate" fuse for the alarm. Have yet to test the horns from a direct battery feed because I believe they are operating. Thank you for your response.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

The horn switch/contacts in the steering wheel have been removed—all
broken and in pieces. I have ordered a NEW SWITCH. But when doing
an "alarm test" as suggested (power locked the doors — stood outside — manually unlocked) no alarm ( maybe bad relay also). At present, I'm seeking to find the "separate" fuse for the alarm. Have yet to test the horns from a direct battery feed because I believe they are operating. Thank you for your response.
experience. the first thing you do is check the horns.

do you have the thumb buttons? the contacts, 2 in each button, can come out of their little cavity, and fall down, but can be reinstalled and taped over with 3m invisible tape. if they are like mine they cannot be broken.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 PM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

before the tape was pressed down. yours may be different.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

There is no second fuse for the horn. There is a horn relay that is activated by the horn buttons on the steering wheel. The relay is also connected and activated by the CCM . The theft deterrent system is inside the CCM and beeps the horn when the alarm is set by the PKE when the car is locked. The PKE receiver sends a signal to the CCM indicating the car is locking and to set and arm the alarm.

Obviously the horn has to work first in the manual mode (with the horn buttons), for the CCM to be able to beep the horn. Once the horn is working manual normally, then you can expect the horn to beep when the car locks.

If the horn does not beep when the car locks, then there could be a problem with the CCM. If the car does not lock with the PKE system, then the horn will never beep indicating the car is locked.

I'm not sure where your scenario fits in, you haven't stated the exact problem.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Donne Trav
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcolt94
There is no second fuse for the horn. There is a horn relay that is activated by the horn buttons on the steering wheel. The relay is also connected and activated by the CCM . The theft deterrent system is inside the CCM and beeps the horn when the alarm is set by the PKE when the car is locked. The PKE receiver sends a signal to the CCM indicating the car is locking and to set and arm the alarm.

Obviously the horn has to work first in the manual mode (with the horn buttons), for the CCM to be able to beep the horn. Once the horn is working manual normally, then you can expect the horn to beep when the car locks.

If the horn does not beep when the car locks, then there could be a problem with the CCM. If the car does not lock with the PKE system, then the horn will never beep indicating the car is locked.
I'm not sure where your scenario fits in, you haven't stated the exact problem.
Early on, only the left side of the steering wheel would activate the
horns. Then eventually, no horn sound from either side of steering wheel. Replaced bad fuse, horns okay again, still from only the left side of st. wheel. After a couple months, no horns again, BUT, FUSE LOOKED GOOD.?? Shop took out a broken horn switch in st. wheel. After the alarm test failed, I thought maybe a second fuse was involved or the relay was bad. I'm now waiting for the "horn switch" to arrive -- then to purchase a new "relay just in case. I want to have all these parts in place when I return to the shop to have this problem solved. If my vision was better, I would try fixing this thing myself. RIGHT NOW, I JUST WANT THE SERVICES OF MY HORN. Thanks for your response.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

You can check my horn thread and the pictures. Mine came out in pieces after it keep honking by itself.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...on-it-own.html

I would not go to crazy on the horn relay yet. They hold up a long time and don’t go bad much. If you have the wheel apart, you can connect the horn wire as the switch would and activate the horn. If it honks, then the relay is OK.

Get notified of new replies

To '94 Horn Alarm Fuse?

Quick Reply: '94 Horn Alarm Fuse?