C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 Parking Brake replaced, how to adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:34 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 91 Parking Brake replaced, how to adjust?

I just replaced the Parking brake handle assembly on my 91 Vette with a new assembly and now I need to adjust it.

I've searched many old threads but, still didn't understand the procedure. I don't have an FSM for my 91 yet but, I read about disengaging the drive pawl on the handle assembly or something like that? Another thread said, I had to use a small allen wrench on the rear calipers to adjust the parking brake clearance.

Which one do I do? The parking brake would hold the Vette great before but, now the parking brake has really no holding power.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Got it!...

After looking at the old Parking Brake assembly, I found the tiny hole where a nail is to be inserted to disengage a little cam lever for the self adjusting mechanism.

I looked at the New parking brake assembly and noticed there was a tiny phillips screw in that same hole which kept the automatic adjuster disengaged.

I removed the screw and the parking brake held Great again!

When replacing the Parking Brake assembly with a new one, don't forget to remove this tiny phillips head screw located by the brake light wire connector.

Quick Reply: 91 Parking Brake replaced, how to adjust?