C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which muffler for good V8-sound w/o droning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotim23
Does the B&B system have 4 outlets that are open? I've heard that a lot of the droning is from air resinating through the 4 outlets that flow. That's why corsca is so much quieter one outlet is closed off and fake. I'm going to test this myself on my next trip, I'm going to plug one outlet on each side. Maybe fit a pvc pipe plug in one of them. Also there was some thing called hisholm resinators in a post a long time ago. That looked like a much better way to fix droning. You mount these in a L shaped 90 degree dogleg off the main exhaust pipe, I think in the rear section of exhaust system. They change the tuned length of the pipe so that you don't get droning in that place in rpm band. It moves place where it drones to some place in rpm band you'll never see. Hope this helps Tim
if you plug one of the tips on each muffler it will get rid of the drone. a friend does this on long trips. it made a huge difference.....
Old 08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then you could just ram a potato up one tip on each side just for when you take long trips. It'll look funny but help the droning.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:22 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotim23
Then you could just ram a potato up one tip on each side just for when you take long trips. It'll look funny but help the droning.
or a lead weight tailored too fit.....
Old 08-17-2011, 03:39 PM
CorvetteCentral.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
Go back to the stock set up with a cross over on the rear y-pipe. There are OEM (stock) style mufflers available, even a "no drone" type, at Corvette Central. No need to throw a lot of money at this issue. A lot of those charts you see are produced to sell exhaust systems not cure drone. GM had already cured drone you just reintroduced it with those B&B mufflers.
More info on our C4 no drone mufflers can be found here.

Quick Reply: Which muffler for good V8-sound w/o droning?