C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Thermal Starter Cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Thermal Starter Cover

Team, when auto crossing my 1990 L98 ZF6sp I get a condition where the starter wont turn when hot. Bump it or cool it and it will function. Seems to be heat soak.

Mid America has a thermal starter cover but it's only good for C4's until 84. I don't see anything in my manual which covers 84-96 that makes the first year starter install look different than latter models? Anyone know why the blanket wouldn't work for a 1990?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

84-87 starters are twice the size (and weight) of the Nippondenso model you have on your car from the factory, and they are far more prone to heat soak. Usually its the solenoid that is prone to soak more than the starter itself. I have upgraded to the later starter on my car.

I do not like putting a blanket over the starter, it tends to hold more heat in that way.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:29 PM
dynocar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2
Team, when auto crossing my 1990 L98 ZF6sp I get a condition where the starter wont turn when hot. Bump it or cool it and it will function. Seems to be heat soak.

Mid America has a thermal starter cover but it's only good for C4's until 84. I don't see anything in my manual which covers 84-96 that makes the first year starter install look different than latter models? Anyone know why the blanket wouldn't work for a 1990?
You have a defective starter that will only get worse with time. I've autocrossed and road coarsed many events with many C4s for many years and I think that's the only problem I've never had.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

get one of the mini starters, they're as cheap as $70. eliminates the issue, lighter also
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Actually this is a recently installed starter, second in 18 months. The original factory unit gave up at 122K miles. Is there a starter or year starter the will work and is better. Is it worth it/ is it possible to just replace the solinoid? Any information you can provide on the small starter is appreciated, link etc.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

running a larger ground wire may help, make sure the block to frame ground is good, I switched to a mini' cheap one' and cleared up the heat soak issue.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

try summit racing, there are lots of heat shields (not covers) you can use
i've read nothing but good things about the Hitachi ministarter.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Team,
follow up to this story. The thermal stater cover didn't help. Now installing the ministarter, but its not a direct fit, requires cutting the stock shield protecting the engine.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Were you using a Nippon or Delco before?

The Nippon should not have the heat soak issue. Are you sure the problem is'nt the engine itself? timing too far advanced to crank when hot?

Blankets are useless as lips on a woodpecker. They hold the heat IN the starter...they do nothing to eliminate heat or protect the starter/solenoid.
In fact, nothing does that. Except a fan. The best you can hope for is a shield that will deflect some of the heat from headers away and off the starter. Wrap the header tubes, install a shield.

Last edited by leesvet; 09-23-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Brand of the starter I am replacing is AC delco, the brand I am installing is Summit mini high torque. I don't know who builds Summits starters.

Same issue today on first long run of the car, car would crank. Amazing part is that the AAA guy's had one who had stopped for dinner at the McDonalds we were at, and the guy driving the flatbed we had called decided to jack the car, have me get in it to start it while the guy from our truck climbed under the hot car and banged on the starter well I cranked it. (all well on just the jack. Worked but was crazy.

I am going to show my ineptness here but why would the timing advance effect the starter. could it be my single mass steel spec flywheel?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 AM
kmillar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '90 6 spd that I auto-X as well. Check your timing to make sure it's at the factory setting ( not too advanced). I put a heat shield on my factory starter and that seemed to help.

Another thing I do is raise my hood immediatley after a run while keeping the engine on for a few minutes, (depending on the amount of cars to run) That lets the heat out of the engine bay and I can do a quick visual to make sure nothing is leaking or popped loose. Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

As strange as it sounds it appears my problem is being caused by a bad ground. My mechanic replaced the battery under warranty and the car fired right away. Got it home let it sit overnight, wouldn't fire. Checked the battery and it was 75%. Put it on the charger and she fired. The wired part was the starter cranked fine at 75% battery, but the car just wouldn't fire. I have had a whole lot of work done, so chasing this will be a problem. Rebuilt the steering colum, (now the windshield wipers don't work but the cruise does). Blew the fuses on the radios so it's out. New starter, fuel pump, clutch, turned the fly wheel, new sparkplug wires, new oil seals everywhere. Short could be anywhere. Well trying to start the car and pumping the gas peddel broke that and now have to figure out how to replace it. Only peddle a I cant find in my haynes manual.

Last edited by grantar2; 09-25-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thermal Starter Cover

Quick Reply: Thermal Starter Cover