C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Right Rear Turn Signal and Brake Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 PM
raycollins2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Rear Turn Signal and Brake Light Not Working

94 LT1. All lights work except the right rear turn signal, and the right brake light (which are the same filament). I swapped bulbs with the left, the left works and the right still doesn't work. I pulled out bulb socket, checked and wiggled wires, checked the contacts on the socket, no sign of life. The rear running light works on the same bulb, just no brake or turn signal. So I'm pretty sure the socket is good.

I've checked other postings to try suggestions, no luck. I keep reading about grounding or the possibility of the turn signal switch. Apparently the brake light goes through the turn signal switch, but the left brake light works, so not sure that's still a possibility. Also, the hazards work all the way around, except for the right rear (same bulb socket).

I have no idea where to look for a ground problem. Around the Steering column? By the rear bumper? Fuse box?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ray

Last edited by raycollins2; 10-18-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

The first thing to do is see if you have 12 volts at the contacts in the socket when someone is pushing on the brake pedal, of if you have 12 volts intermittently when the turn signal is on, if you are by yourself. If you have 12 volts, find the ground problem. If you do not get 12 volts at the socket contacts you will need to go further to the front of the car, until you find out where the problem arises. I hope you have the factory service manuals with good wiring diagrams.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Mike in Boston
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Bulb Bummer

I have no idea if it's the same problem I had but the forum saved me a ton of time.

Here's the post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ake-light.html
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

There are 2 sets of lights per side.

When you say you swapped it with the left, which left do you mean. The left or inner of the right side. Or the left lights on the LEFT side of the car.

Or to say it another way, do both of the right side lights (2 stop lights) on the right side of the car have the problem, or is it just one of the right side lights?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:55 PM
raycollins2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Rear Turn Signal and Brake Light Not Working

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm closer but still need some guidance if possible.

pcolt94: I swapped the inner right with the inner left, sorry I wasn't clear. btw, I have a 94 bright aqua metallic, looks just like your picture. Nice car!

Kmcoldcars: I checked the voltage, not even 1 volt. So I moved my search to under the dash.

Mike: I was going to check the brake light switch, but then remembered something I read on this forum about the tilt steering pinching a wire. So I gave that a shot. Unbelievable. When I moved the tilt steering all the way up, it worked! For about 10 seconds. Then I moved the steering wheel down, then back up, and it worked again.

So I guess I have a pinched/shorted wire or loose connection somewhere in the steering column. I popped off the plastic cover behind the turn signal lever, to see if i could maybe find something, but no luck so far. It's pretty tight.

Any ideas? Do I have to pull the steering wheel? I hate electrical problems!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Mike in Boston
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

That's good new that you have a direction to focus on!

If you're going to do stuff under the dash do yourself a favor and pull the drivers seat. A few bolts and wiring connectors and you'll have much more room.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by raycollins2
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm closer but still need some guidance if possible.

pcolt94: I swapped the inner right with the inner left, sorry I wasn't clear. btw, I have a 94 bright aqua metallic, looks just like your picture. Nice car!

Kmcoldcars: I checked the voltage, not even 1 volt. So I moved my search to under the dash.

Mike: I was going to check the brake light switch, but then remembered something I read on this forum about the tilt steering pinching a wire. So I gave that a shot. Unbelievable. When I moved the tilt steering all the way up, it worked! For about 10 seconds. Then I moved the steering wheel down, then back up, and it worked again.

So I guess I have a pinched/shorted wire or loose connection somewhere in the steering column. I popped off the plastic cover behind the turn signal lever, to see if i could maybe find something, but no luck so far. It's pretty tight.

Any ideas? Do I have to pull the steering wheel? I hate electrical problems!
Could it be a coincidence?

That’s interesting. Obviously both of the filaments are in parallel. You would think the connection would be made in the rear of the car. Why run 2 wires to the back of the car, does not make sense. (my 280ZX has same set up, 2 brake lights…one wire).

I will take a look at the FSM and see if I can determine anything concrete.

Get notified of new replies

To Right Rear Turn Signal and Brake Light Not Working

Quick Reply: Right Rear Turn Signal and Brake Light Not Working