C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

To "X" or not to "X"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Dr. Gas was one of the first to come up with the design.Designed for use in Nascar I believe.
I have one on my Dodge and had one on my vette.I have not done any scientific testing.It may or may not develop more power but it does sound a lot better IMO.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 PM
JohnTVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh.....Now I'm having fitment issues where the end of the tube goes into the former location of the resonator. Driver's side fit right up, but the passenger side doesn't turn back enough.....It's facing almost straight at the driver's side pipe.

I'm never going to get this car running again.

Last edited by JohnTVette; 11-04-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=cuisinartvette;1579127999]I have never seen anyone take their car with say, true duals install an X and see the claims made on this thread.

Have to agree.

I understand what the x tube on a low RPM car helps reduce racket.

X pipes will offer some balance for the pulses that are opposing from cylinder bank to bank [ two pulses I think? ], but that is a miniscule amount of torque obtained unless you are wailing .... like 12,000 rpm.

The majority of headers sold are unequal length anyway, NON TUNED headers. In fact most are NOT tuned headers and say so if honest.

Example Hedman's adds say in plain English the $350 set IS NOT A TUNED header.

AND yes people do get big jumps from slapping a set of headers on their car. Next guy gets squat with he same units. Why??? Well Hades!!! the bloody barometric pressure will change a dyno result!!

Hear it all the time. " These suck! I got squat!! ... moan.... groan...." But it's a system and all parts equal the whole.

Those big gains can be true, but are as much luck as tuning.

On a street motor the X pipe may quite things down, I'd say that's it.

TJM
Old 11-04-2011, 10:15 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never had an x but have often wondered. However I have straight dual to muffler with cutouts and everyone says my car sounds so awesome on the track I just don't want to chance changing that. I see performance wise I doubt it could hurt but sound I bet its a cleaner sound, which is kind of the opposite of what I have now that everyone loves. That raw ripping at 5500rpm.

Quick Reply: To "X" or not to "X"