C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

leaking pinion oil seal in my dana 36

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:12 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default leaking pinion oil seal in my dana 36

hi guys i just have seen some gear oil coming out from my differential yoke,it falls onto my exaust pipe.On you tube i watched a tutorial on removing pinion oil seal without removing my dana from the car.Is it possible?In the video the guys removed propeller shaft and u joint,then he removed pinion nut and flange,and the seal coming out using a plier,then he istalled a new seal using a driver and a hammer.Before removing the nut on the pinion flange he marked it and take counts of threads.Is this a good procedure?it seams to me too easy...any advice?thanks guys

http://youtu.be/15zHpz6Zx8c

Last edited by tunedport85inject; 11-15-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The diff does not need to come out, but the exhaust system does, and, of course, the driveshaft, etc. The official procedure from GM involves an assortment of those special J-prefix tools, but a good mechanic can usually come up with a workaround, or weld something up to use. The pinion nut is on there with 200 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much oil leakage are we taking about here?

Remove the fill plug and check the oil level - additionally it may be time for more than just a pinion seal swap.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM
mtnmanut
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE DONE THIS IN THE PAST WITH VARIOUS MAKE REARENDS, WHAT I DO, BEFOR REMOVING THE PINION NUT,I PUT AN INCH POUND TORQUE WRENCH ON THE NUT,AS A WAY TO MEASURE THE BEARING PRELOAD,ONCE THIS IS KNOWN,REMOVE, INSTALL NEW SEAL. I'LL USUALLY RE-TORQUE PINION NUT TO ABOUT 150 LBS,THEN CHECK PRELOAD WITH INCH LB WRENCH.I'LL DO THIS I GRADUAL INCREMENTS,INCREASE NUT TORQUE,AND RECHECK WITH INCH LB.UNTIL MY ORIGINAL BEARING PRELOAD IS REACHED. I DON'T LIKE TO JUST RE-TORQUE TO 200 LBS AS THIS COULD RE-CRUSH THE CRUSH SLEEVE AND CAUSE TO MUCH BEARING PRELOAD, WHAT I DIDN;T SAY IS I CHECK BEARING PRELOAD WITH WHEELS OFF, I RELEASE CALIPER LOAD,SO THERES NO BRAKE DRAG.GOOD LUCK
Old 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mtnmanut
I HAVE DONE THIS IN THE PAST WITH VARIOUS MAKE REARENDS, WHAT I DO, BEFOR REMOVING THE PINION NUT,I PUT AN INCH POUND TORQUE WRENCH ON THE NUT,AS A WAY TO MEASURE THE BEARING PRELOAD,ONCE THIS IS KNOWN,REMOVE, INSTALL NEW SEAL. I'LL USUALLY RE-TORQUE PINION NUT TO ABOUT 150 LBS,THEN CHECK PRELOAD WITH INCH LB WRENCH.I'LL DO THIS I GRADUAL INCREMENTS,INCREASE NUT TORQUE,AND RECHECK WITH INCH LB.UNTIL MY ORIGINAL BEARING PRELOAD IS REACHED. I DON'T LIKE TO JUST RE-TORQUE TO 200 LBS AS THIS COULD RE-CRUSH THE CRUSH SLEEVE AND CAUSE TO MUCH BEARING PRELOAD, WHAT I DIDN;T SAY IS I CHECK BEARING PRELOAD WITH WHEELS OFF, I RELEASE CALIPER LOAD,SO THERES NO BRAKE DRAG.GOOD LUCK
There is no crush sleeve in a Dana 36
Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM
mtnmanut
Racer

OOPS MY MISTAKE

Get notified of new replies

To leaking pinion oil seal in my dana 36

Quick Reply: leaking pinion oil seal in my dana 36