C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help identifying Gas tank/Filler neck "Mystery Part"

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Help identifying Gas tank/Filler neck "Mystery Part"

I have an '86. To simplifiy things...There is a retainer of some sort the seems to hold the fuel filler neck assembly in place from the inside of the gas tank. Seems as if the bolts actually thread into this part rather than the tank itself. You can feel it from the inside...seems to be plastic. Any idea what this is called? Know the part number or where I might get one? (Assuming it is not just part of a liner of some sort).

One of the filler neck bolts is stripped/broken off etc., and I am hoping I could just punch out this old retainer, and replace it rather than retapping, etc.

Thank you.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

its called a "tank liner".
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leesvet
its called a "tank liner".
So this is not a separate retainer part that the bolts thread into? Is this "retainer part" (with threads) just part of the liner?

Thank you.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:01 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Anyone have a pic of a tank liner out of the tank? Can't find a pic of that anywhere...
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by racerseks
Anyone have a pic of a tank liner out of the tank? Can't find a pic of that anywhere...
Probably won't find one since the liner is bonded to the tank.
Do a search, someone sectioned their tank into 3 parts and posted pictures when they removed it to install a fuel cell.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:56 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Here it is. I posted it on your other thread too. The liner is acutally loose on the inside of the tank, not bonded. It is all one piece and cannot be separated from the tank unless the tank is sectioned and that will probably ruin the tank. Willlie

Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383vett
Here it is. I posted it on your other thread too. The liner is acutally loose on the inside of the tank, not bonded. It is all one piece and cannot be separated from the tank unless the tank is sectioned and that will probably ruin the tank. Willlie

Thanks...Man that pic is all over the internet, haha...

One question...The part that the bolts actually thread into from the inside of the tank is part of the liner as well then?

Is the owner of that pic a forum member? Maybe I can buy that centerpiece from him and look inside to see if the bolt retaining part is actually part of the liner,
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 PM
383vett
Race Director

Thanks...Man that pic is all over the internet, haha...

One question...The part that the bolts actually thread into from the inside of the tank is part of the liner as well then?

Is the owner of that pic a forum member? Maybe I can buy that centerpiece from him and look inside to see if the bolt retaining part is actually part of the liner,
That is my car and my picture. Sorry, trashed the tank and the center unit a few years ago. I would have given it to you. I can't recall the configuration of the inner liner around the filler neck area.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383vett
That is my car and my picture. Sorry, trashed the tank and the center unit a few years ago. I would have given it to you. I can't recall the configuration of the inner liner around the filler neck area.

Hi...I thought that car looked similar. Looking more and more like it is not a separate piece from what I am being told. You'd be the guy to ask I imagine. You've probably seen it up close more than anyone else...

Thanks...

Old 11-18-2011, 11:34 PM
383vett
Race Director

Hi...I thought that car looked similar. Looking more and more like it is not a separate piece from what I am being told. You'd be the guy to ask I imagine. You've probably seen it up close more than anyone else...

Thanks...

Your right, I was pretty intimate with that tank. I wish I had room to store stuff so I could help out other members, but on the other hand, what was I supposed to do with a 3 piece tank? Good luck with your project. Willie

Get notified of new replies

To Help identifying Gas tank/Filler neck "Mystery Part"

Quick Reply: Help identifying Gas tank/Filler neck "Mystery Part"