C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

93 blowing cooling fan relays...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 PM
vettewagon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 blowing cooling fan relays...?

Hey people. I have a 93 that keeps blowing cooling fan relays,(both). I jump the A to F on the relay plug jack and the fans run no problem. I put in new relays they work for about 5 to 10 minutes and botta-bing they are deemed useless. So can any one give me a little insight. It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vettewagon
Hey people. I have a 93 that keeps blowing cooling fan relays,(both). I jump the A to F on the relay plug jack and the fans run no problem. I put in new relays they work for about 5 to 10 minutes and botta-bing they are deemed useless. So can any one give me a little insight. It would be greatly appreciated.
So what happens to the relay - does the coil go open circuit?
Or other failure?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:26 PM
vettewagon
Intermediate

The coil goes open any clues?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're jumping pin A to F at the relay socket
with the relay installed, the 12 volts for the fan
is coming from a 5 amp fuse.

The current drawn by the fan motor is passing thru the
primary relay coil which is most likely causing the primary
relay coil to burn open because of the excessive current
flow before the 5 amp fuse can blow.

If you look at the schematic, if you want to bypass the fan
relay you would jump pin A to pin E at the relay socket.
That would provide 12 volts from either a 30 or 40 amp fuse
direct to the fan motor.

If you want to test both fans jump pin A to pin B on the
diagnostic connector above the drivers right knee and
turn the ignition ON. The computer will activate both
fan relays and both fans should run.

C
Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 AM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

The coil goes open any clues?
Those are 12 volt relays - designed to have 12 volts across the coil for an indefinite period of time. I'm guessing the coil draws about 1/2 to one ampere - I'll go measure the resistance of one later.

However, if the coils are burning out, they are getting hit with voltage much higher than 12 volts - and that does not exist in the relay control circuit. I'm stumped.

Can you relate any vehicle event when this started happening?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 AM
vettewagon
Intermediate

The car doesn't give any indication that it's happening, in fact the analog temp gauge reads around 180 but when I use the digital (orange) to read it shows actual jumping up and over 210 degrees. Then the car starts misfiring and running terrible. then I test the relays and they're both open.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:50 AM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hooked on Vettes
If you're jumping pin A to F at the relay socket
with the relay installed, the 12 volts for the fan
is coming from a 5 amp fuse.

The current drawn by the fan motor is passing thru the
primary relay coil which is most likely causing the primary
relay coil to burn open because of the excessive current
flow before the 5 amp fuse can blow.

C

Not true - the relay coil is fed by a 5 amp fuse, and the fan motor is fed by a 40 amp fuse.

It's interesting that my 91s have two fusible links instead of the 40 amp fuses feeding the fan motors.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 AM
vettewagon
Intermediate

I find it strange that a voltage spike would take out the relays and not a fuse
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 AM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

The car doesn't give any indication that it's happening, in fact the analog temp gauge reads around 180 but when I use the digital (orange) to read it shows actual jumping up and over 210 degrees. Then the car starts misfiring and running terrible. then I test the relays and they're both open.
The ECM has a solid state switch (transistor) that grounds the relay coil circuit causing the relay to "operate" and the normally open relay contacts close to turn on the fan. Since both relays fail at the time the engine begins misfiring, I'm wondering if the ECM itself is failing in some weird way where it's hitting the coils with a high voltage transient.

Are you seeing a service engine light when this happens? And does the engine run normally after it cools back down?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 AM
vettewagon
Intermediate

Yes when the engine cools it runs good again. The service engine light never comes on.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gbrtng
Not true - the relay coil is fed by a 5 amp fuse, and the fan motor is fed by a 40 amp fuse.

It's interesting that my 91s have two fusible links instead of the 40 amp fuses feeding the fan motors.
In 93 GM started using Maxi fuses to replace most fusible links.

Read his first post. He jumped pin A to pin F.

All the current for the fan motor passed thru the primary
relay coil. High voltage didn't cause the relay coil to open.
Excessive current would.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 AM
vettewagon
Intermediate

Ok I jumped on the diag. connector above knee, A+B and both fans ran well. I inspected all related harnesses for the fan circuit and found nothing obvious wrong. So where does the lead me? I did finf that the voltages are all getting to the relays and they (relays) are definitelynot working.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Ok I jumped on the diag. connector above knee, A+B and both fans ran well. I inspected all related harnesses for the fan circuit and found nothing obvious wrong. So where does the lead me?
That indicates there is nothing wrong with the fans, relays or the
ability of the ECM to control the fans.

If any fan relay was bad it was because you shorted pin A to pin F instead of pin A to pin E.

You said the temperature reading is jumping around when you look at
the digital gauge, that would indicate something could be wrong
with the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. It's screwed into the
lower part of the water pump. The connector has two wires going to
it. A Black wire which is ground and a yellow wire which is a 5 volt reference voltage.

Verify the sensor is not leaking and the connector is secure. The
ECM uses that sensor to determine the engine temperature. If it's
bad it could cause your problem.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 11-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:59 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Ok I jumped on the diag. connector above knee, A+B and both fans ran well. I inspected all related harnesses for the fan circuit and found nothing obvious wrong. So where does the lead me? I did finf that the voltages are all getting to the relays and they (relays) are definitelynot working.
If both fans run when A and B are connected, both fan relays are OK as well as the wiring and fans. So where are the two relays you claim are bad?

BTW, one or both fans should run when the AC is on also ...
Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM
jtc44
Instructor

Both relays blowing up is strange how about a voltage spike from a bad alt. ? Hi draw from fans cousing heat in relay? We need to check voltage and current at the relays and fans thats all I got
Old 11-24-2011, 08:04 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

After reading all the posts in this thread it just makes me want to start from square 1 at the beginning. I think the thread is going in the wrong direction because the initial information might not be correct. I also question if the relays are bad. These relays are a real rugged piece of hardware not a solid state device where a transient might take it out.

I’m sure you can put 50% more voltage to the coil with no damage and probably can put double the voltage to it. To burn up a coil with voltage, it would smell and might turn black as it burns up.

You cant put to much current thru the coil. One end has 12 to 14 volts on it and the other end of the coil is grounded. Current is a function of voltage with a fixed resistance (ohms law). The voltage would have to be about 24 volts for a period of time to double the current to kill it. I don't see that symptom.

I’m betting the measurement is being made wrong and the coil in the relay is good. And the actual symptom of the problem is not being accurately addressed. Were spending to much time on fan operation at this point.

I’m not sure I actually understand what the real problem is. It at least sounds like the engine runs bad when it gets hot. I’m not sure if the fans are on or not but 210* is not hot (its normal) and the fans are not on at that point anyway (providing A/C is not on).

To make a leap of an educated guess, it almost sounds like the ICM or opti is causing the engine to run bad. And when it cools down it runs good….sound familiar.

So am I possibly on the right track or should I go…..
Old 11-25-2011, 07:44 AM
vettewagon
Intermediate

Sounds good so far so your saying the car is in the norm. around 212?

Get notified of new replies

To 93 blowing cooling fan relays...?

Old 11-25-2011, 02:03 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Sounds good so far so your saying the car is in the norm. around 212?
I got to ask this first, how long have you owned the car and what have your temps been?

I believe the primary fan (left) comes on at 228* (or with the A/C), and the secondary fan (right side) comes on at 239*. Each fan will take the temp down about 10* before it cycles off. You may not like the temperature up at 240* but it is a normal for the car. Over 240 is getting into the overheating area and at 260 you shut the engine down.

When driving down the road at 50 or so a normal temperature should be 193-205 for this time of year. Stopped in traffic it will start to climb if no fans are running till the 228. Or you can turn on the A/C.

Are you familiar with this mode of fan operation?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:06 PM
vettewagon
Intermediate

Thanks for your help, maybe I'm on the right track now. First I have only owned the car for a month. I usually shut the car off by the time it hits 200, stands to reason when I jumped the A+B terminals on the diag. block the fans operated. I was testing the relay's when they were'nt energized...Duhh I'll run the car later and check till it does kick on the fans. Back to the car operating like crap when it heats up. Where can I go from here...? I should have stuck with my 84..lol
Old 11-25-2011, 03:57 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Its a newer car with a bit different technology but you will learn it. Do you know what the ICM and opti is in the spark and ignition system. These might be different items for you. If you want to support your car, get an FSM. Each year is specific and different.

As I said in my post the ICM (ignition control module) and opti (opti-spark distributor) are two items that can break down from heat and are commonly replaced. These items typically do not throw codes so replacement may be the only verification.

Search and read about these items on the Forum and internet to come up to speed.
Knowing a systems theory of operation will help you fix anything more efficient, faster and less costly.

Checking for fuel pressure and spark are still basic things to do as with any engine depending on problem.

Last edited by pcolt94; 11-25-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 blowing cooling fan relays...?