C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing Targa Top weather stripping. (Need Help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM
96_vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Targa Top weather stripping. (Need Help)

I have just purchased a used solid targa top. I no doubt will need to replace the weather stripping on both sides of the top. I need to source a quality vendor for this. I wont mess with Ebay, so besides getting bent over at the Stealership, if they even still stock them, which is the best choice? Any tips or helpful guidance before I begin this task? Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM
c4speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say one of the vendors on the left if no Ebay,scrape it all out and clean good and DON'T glue the new stuff in.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:27 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the rear part that wraps around the corner needs to be glued as water can get in through there if it isn't glued.

It would be best to remove the retainers, clean them up. And run sealant on the backside of the retainers, and on both sides of the dog ears. The OEM sealant tape can wear out over time and leak.

Some use sealant on the back of the retainers, or some use sealant foam tape that is more like what the OEM used.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:45 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I have no glue on my weatherstrips, no leaks either
besides i believe the targa top weatherstrips are secured with push in fasteners at each end of the weatherstrips.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 AM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok I just got my self rear window wheatherstrip. I was planing to work on that this weekend.

sure I use glue or not. if not necesary y prefer not to use. but I have to know now what is best

Iam confuse now.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:31 PM
lances2000
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanpty
ok I just got my self rear window wheatherstrip. I was planing to work on that this weekend.

sure I use glue or not. if not necesary y prefer not to use. but I have to know now what is best

Iam confuse now.
Nothing like leaving a guy hanging!!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:52 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

I believe the ends need to be glued down?

I know I had to glue down the ends and top corners of the A pillar weatherstripping or water would get in. I used the Permatex Ultra Black gasket/sealant to glue the ends down. Reason is because it makes it a little easier at removing it in the future compared to weatherstrip glue. i.e. you can take a razor blade and slide it underneath and cut it off without tearing the whole thing up.

The B pillar is a little different as far as water trying to come in and I used that black strip caulk stuff on the ends to help seal the ends without gluing it. I also ran a strip of it under the top corners as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Targa Top weather stripping. (Need Help)

Quick Reply: Replacing Targa Top weather stripping. (Need Help)