Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Upgrading C4 brakes to C5 calipers

Old 01-24-2012, 01:18 AM
endeavor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading C4 brakes to C5 calipers

What will it take to install the 97-04 C5 brake calipers on my 91 C4? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, James
Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 AM
James93LT1
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 AM
vetteoz
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM
LD85
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last edited by LD85; 01-24-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 369 Likes on 338 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Vette Brakes has a complete kit for the C5 upgrade.

While your 91 already has 17" wheels, members that have done this swap usually find that the OEM wheels may not clear the outer edge of the C5 caliper. You may have to grind some of the outer edge of the caliper "fin" off to get clearance. You should not have any wheel weights on the inside of the wheel near the calipers.

When I did my swap on my 87, I already had the ZR-1 style wheels. Those wheels are the ones to have if you do wind up with a clearance issue.

FWIW, you won't have to get different flex hoses; the C4 lines attach to the C5 caliper with no problems. Just make sure you use new copper crush washers on the hose fitting.

Also, you will need a different brake bias spring installed in the master cylinder. Doug Rippie Motorsports has one for about $25 delivered. Note there are two versions' one for C4's with ABS and another for the early C4's without ABS. Without this spring, you will see ABS engagement even with mild braking force. The spring can be installed without removing the M/C from the car.

If you search this section using "C5 brake conversion" you will find all sorts of information about this conversion.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:41 PM
endeavor

Thanks for your help. I am using the C5 thin 5 spoke rims (17 front, 18 rear) if necessary I imagine I could use a spacer? But these rims should work. Again, thanks. -James
Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 PM
PLRX
Semper Fidelis 1988-2011
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 397 Likes on 273 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by c4cruiser View Post
Vette Brakes has a complete kit for the C5 upgrade.
Search about their kit before you purchase.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 AM
endeavor

Is the bias spring required if I am upgrading both front and rear brakes?

Last edited by endeavor; 01-25-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM
tshirttom
CF Senior Member

The bias spring is a good and inexpensive upgrade regardless
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Sidney004
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
Is the bias spring required if I am upgrading both front and rear brakes?
You need it. One other thing to consider; if you adding the bias spring you will probably be taking the master cylinder off to install and bench bleed it. If you are using the original 21 year old MC, it might be a good time to add that to your shopping list. By the way, my original MC lasted 17 years.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 PM
endeavor

Definitely need a new MC. Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
leesvet
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a different MC that is more appropiate for the upgraded C5 brake calipers. Because the C5 had much much larger caliper pistons that means there is a LOT more oil needed to make them move. Not pressure, Volume. If you use the C4 MC you then find the pedal going much further down to get the same result.

If you do some research there IS a C5 MC that fits and solves the problem. Most folks do not do it, they just accept the lower brake pedal and get used to it. I need to find that new MC because I want the pedal to have minimal travel...and stay off the floor.
Someone posted the part number and description some time ago but I do not know where it is exactly...
You MAY want to consider some spacer/adaptors to push the wheels off the hub by 1/2" or maybe more, to gain some caliper clearance. Since the wheels are taper inside, spacing provides some addition room.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:29 PM
76LS1BIRD
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Sidney004
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by leesvet View Post
There is a different MC that is more appropiate for the upgraded C5 brake calipers. Because the C5 had much much larger caliper pistons that means there is a LOT more oil needed to make them move. Not pressure, Volume. If you use the C4 MC you then find the pedal going much further down to get the same result.

If you do some research there IS a C5 MC that fits and solves the problem. Most folks do not do it, they just accept the lower brake pedal and get used to it. I need to find that new MC because I want the pedal to have minimal travel...and stay off the floor.
Someone posted the part number and description some time ago but I do not know where it is exactly...
You MAY want to consider some spacer/adaptors to push the wheels off the hub by 1/2" or maybe more, to gain some caliper clearance. Since the wheels are taper inside, spacing provides some addition room.
I am using the C4 MC with my C5 upgrade. I'm happy with the pedal position, if you didn't mention it; I wouldn't of given the pedal position a second thought but what you say makes sense
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 PM
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 369 Likes on 338 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by leesvet View Post

The only thing I noticed with my C5 front brake conversion on my 87 is that the pedal travel is only slightly longer. The pedal does not go anywhere close to the floor.

As far as the bias spring, there is very little difference between the C4 rear calipers and the C5 version. There really no reason to upgrade to C5 rear calipers as there in no difference in rotor size (diameter) and the swept area is nearly the same. The hardest part of that type of conversion is dealing with the parking brake. For your year C4, the caliper serves as the parking brake. With the C5, the parking brake in an internal drum setup just like the early C4's had.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
leesvet
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The big calipers consume more oil thats all. The MC is just a pump, and the pedal is the stroke of that pump. If you have a bucket that the old system would fill with one stroke, that same system won;t fill the larger bucket now....in the same stroke length. It'll do the job just fine, but the stroke length has to increase to have the same effect.

To me, its not a big deal but I do like the pedal travel to be minimal. The closer to the floor it gets the more I worry! I like that crisp almost touchy feel of tight sensitive brakes.

A friend put $3000 worth of wilwood brakes on a mustang...and the result was not impressive. Pedal would bottom out long before aggressive braking took place. It was plenty for street use and enough to get the ABS going...but not enough for a track or high speed braking.

Sure, I could have mentioned the MC and vol going from a single piston caliper to a 6 piston per caliper...but it was a mustang after all...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
endeavor

Old 06-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Karp
CF Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I just picked up a set of calipers from a 02 Z06. (All 4 for $100) Is there anything special for the Z06 calipers to fit on a 90 convertible? I read about the brackets yet can't find a set for sale. Should I even upgrade mine? Thanks for any advice. If I don't use them, I have a set of C5 Z06 red calipers in Hawaii if someone is interested.

Last edited by Karp; 06-25-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:25 AM
TA
CF Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Karp View Post
Hi, I just picked up a set of calipers from a 02 Z06. (All 4 for $100) Is there anything special for the Z06 calipers to fit on a 90 convertible? I read about the brackets yet can't find a set for sale. Should I even upgrade mine? Thanks for any advice. If I don't use them, I have a set of C5 Z06 red calipers in Hawaii if someone is interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BDE-Systems-...lXCzr~&vxp=mtr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading C4 brakes to C5 calipers

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: