C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Recommendation on shocks to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 AM
VolMan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendation on shocks to purchase

Good Morning Folks:

A question please. I have a 95 LT1 coupe that I bought at 153K miles in 2006 with a current mileage of 201K miles on the car.

It is time for me to replace the tires that came with the car, they are BF Goodwrich, the tread is still marginally OK but at 4 years of age it is time for me to change these tires. I will repectfully come back to the board for their tire recommendations (leaning toward Kumho, based on my research. All of my other cars have Michilin).

Before replacing the tires, I believe that I should replace the shocks that also were on the car as of the 06 purchase.

My research leads me to Bilstein. My local shop has recommended Monroe instead. Any thoughts?

Also, two more things, and I admit that I am a poor to average guy with a wrench.

1. Just recently, I have three warning lights showing that (1) the ASR is off (it will not activate when I press the left side button), (2) Service ASR, and (3) service ABS. I had a brake job done, but the these lights remain on. The only thing that I can notice is that the passenger rear side is a 1/2 inch higher than the driver side. The front is level. Is the rear height difference and the warning lights related?

When the lights first came on, for a brief second, the power sterring went stiff. This has not reoccured since then.

2. When shopping around for shocks, I was asked by potential vendors if my Vette had electronic ride control. Is this standard on the 95 LT1 coupe? Since it is a ordering requirement, how can I ascertain if I need shocks with a electronic ride control application?

My driving habits are not high performance. I do, yes, like to take the Vette out for Sunday country road driving at speeds a little higher than the limit. I will never do a road rally nor a drag race - its fun to watch, but well, I am a chicken I admit -lol

Everyone, thank you for your attention and patience with my uneducated questions.

I wish to all a great weekend.

Last edited by VolMan; 10-16-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 AM
rinosaur
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a search on Monroe, you'll find that they are a terrible choice, many have had problems with them in just a few months. Electronic ride isn't standard and not too common either, you will see a switch behind your shifter area that adjusts ride if you do have the FX3 option. I did some research and bought KYBs for my car, I heard they were slightly softer than stock and I preferred that for some nasty roads in my city. I got the shocks on ebay for $26 a piece including shipping, cant beat that lol.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First and foremost run, not walk, run away from that shop. Any mechanic who would recommend Monroe shocks for a Corvette knows little about the car. I agree with rinosaur on KYB shocks. They are not for racing or spirited driving but are very good for cruising. Best bang for your buck.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:02 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

You shop probably recommended the Monroe's because they have some on hand that they're trying to get rid of, or they get them at a huge discount and recommend them for that reason. This would tell you that the shop is more interested in what's good for them and not so much your car. If you are having a hard time finding a shop to trust, contact a local Corvette club and they might have some suggestions for you.

I'm probably going to run the bilsteins myself, but the KYB's seem a good choice for your application as well.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:15 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put on KYBs and I'm happy with them. As for electric ride control, if your car is so equipped you will see the control switch in the console between the seat adjusting switches. Somebody may correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you have the ride control you don't have to get special shocks. Just install regular shocks and ignore the (now non-functional) switch. Passengers will be impressed, anyway, and you can let them push the button for amusement.

The ASR/ABS stuff is over my head. Mine is working so I've never fiddled with either.

If one side of the car is setting higher than the other it sounds like it could be a spring issue. Have you inspected the rear transverse spring for damage or delamination? If you see loose fibers on it, that ain't good.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:29 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

stick with the bilstiens,better than kyb ,but if you don't want to spend the money kyb is a good choice
Old 10-16-2010, 04:48 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

We have the AC Delco/Bilstiiens on our '94 car and they have been really good. There is about 120,000 miles on them and still working fine.

We have had several "issues" (ASR/ABS lights on)with the ASR and ASR systems on the car. One time it was water in the small electronic module that is on the right hand side of the car behind the small panel with the gills/slots in it. This module is an interface from the wheel sensors to the PCM or BCM.....not sure which one. You can take the top off of the module to see if there is water in there. Ours was full of green water.

The other time it was the ASR/ABS module and computer that sits in the compartment behind the driver (pray to God that is not your problem as both of those parts are EXPENSIVE).

Not saying these are your problems but may be a place to start looking.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am just northwest of Atlanta. PM me if you need help.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:49 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Kumho SPT's are the Best bang for the buck tire.

Generally, if you're on a budget, KYB shocks are recommended. If you're not on a budget Bilstein, Koni and QA1 shocks are all recommended.

If you liked the performance of the original Bilstein shocks, just stick with the Bilsteins.

Last edited by GKK; 10-16-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

DO NOT USE MONROE SHOCKS!!!!!!

The previous owner put them on the 92 shortly before I purchased it. They lasted LESS than one year.

For the "select ride control" look at the console between the seats, is there a switch with three positions? If you have the option the ONLY option is Bilstien and around $200 a shock.

For your ASR and ABS lights. try putting a little more brake fluid in the master cylinder.
The master has to almost completely full to keep those lights off.

I'm near Stone Mtn if you want to get together.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:10 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I like my kyb's on my 95. I do not race the car only 4 cruisin. They are softer than the bilsteins
Old 10-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Mekanic
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bilsteins for me, but I've heard good things on KYB.

Tires, Firehawk Wide Ovals all day, they hook better than my Nitto Drag Radials and still kick butt in the rain
Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

1st off i've had Monroes + KYB shocks in my Corvette and from a personal stand point their not very good shocks. Tokico shocks " which comes with a LTW" are very compairable to Bilstiens in both ride + performance but! at %50 less money.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have run Koni's, QA1's, KYB's & Bilsteins.
I drive my Vette to the degree and spirit for which it was designed.

Koni and QA1's are out of your stated price and performance range so no reason to discuss.....

The KYB's offer a good balance of price and performance. But you get what you pay for and these didn't hold up to highway speeds.

The Bilsteins have performed well. A nice ride at lower speeds and they pickup at speed where the KYB's fall down.

Heres some general prices that may help your wallet.

KYB- $25-35 ea
Bilstein- $50-75 ea
Koni- 90-120 ea
QA1- 130-150 ea

I buy shocks from shock manufactures. Not a catalog house that puts their name on someone else's product like Edelbrock.

BTW shocks are like tires. They wear out and should be replaced after 60-80K.

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 10-17-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Camelotian
Instructor

Default Kyb

Originally Posted by rinosaur
If you do a search on Monroe, you'll find that they are a terrible choice, many have had problems with them in just a few months. Electronic ride isn't standard and not too common either, you will see a switch behind your shifter area that adjusts ride if you do have the FX3 option. I did some research and bought KYBs for my car, I heard they were slightly softer than stock and I preferred that for some nasty roads in my city. I got the shocks on ebay for $26 a piece including shipping, cant beat that lol.
I have a 94 w/standard suspension and the KYBs ride very nice.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Brian Smith
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shocks/Tires

On my 1993 I took off junk Munroes. They were on the car when I bought it so I have no idea how long there were installed. Once off, the rams on both front and rears pulled out and compressed with no effort.

Installed KYBs and am hugely satisfied for both ride quality and cost. They could be compressed and extended with substantial work.

Tires: Needed my second set since 2007 and took off a set of worn out Kumhos and wanted to replace the with the PST version. There was a 3-6 month backorder on Corvette sizes. Probably associated with manufacturing runs for those sizes. Fronts had not so long a wait but the back delivery's were only guessed at at three to six months. Bought Nittos since the were available and have been happy with them so far. Have deeper tread depth and seem to hold as good as the Kumhos. Time will tell on tread wear.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Camelotian
Instructor

Default Tires

Originally Posted by VolMan
Good Morning Folks:

A question please. I have a 95 LT1 coupe that I bought at 153K miles in 2006 with a current mileage of 201K miles on the car.

It is time for me to replace the tires that came with the car, they are BF Goodwrich, the tread is still marginally OK but at 4 years of age it is time for me to change these tires. I will repectfully come back to the board for their tire recommendations (leaning toward Kumho, based on my research. All of my other cars have Michilin).

Before replacing the tires, I believe that I should replace the shocks that also were on the car as of the 06 purchase.

My research leads me to Bilstein. My local shop has recommended Monroe instead. Any thoughts?

Also, two more things, and I admit that I am a poor to average guy with a wrench.

1. Just recently, I have three warning lights showing that (1) the ASR is off (it will not activate when I press the left side button), (2) Service ASR, and (3) service ABS. I had a brake job done, but the these lights remain on. The only thing that I can notice is that the passenger rear side is a 1/2 inch higher than the driver side. The front is level. Is the rear height difference and the warning lights related?

When the lights first came on, for a brief second, the power sterring went stiff. This has not reoccured since then.

2. When shopping around for shocks, I was asked by potential vendors if my Vette had electronic ride control. Is this standard on the 95 LT1 coupe? Since it is a ordering requirement, how can I ascertain if I need shocks with a electronic ride control application?

My driving habits are not high performance. I do, yes, like to take the Vette out for Sunday country road driving at speeds a little higher than the limit. I will never do a road rally nor a drag race - its fun to watch, but well, I am a chicken I admit -lol

Everyone, thank you for your attention and patience with my uneducated questions.

I wish to all a great weekend.
VolMan, check out Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals. Great value.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendation on shocks to purchase

Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm VERY happy with my Edelbrock shocks.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:10 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put KYB on my ride and I'm very happy.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
pvvette
5th Gear

Selecting shocks are much like selecting tires- personal preference. While there is alot of inferior replacement parts, there is also a lot of of quality replacement parts. I agree with the consensus and stay away from the Monroe. I have and will continue to use the Bilstein. If you have either code FX3 0r Z07, your car is optioned with the electronic ride control. The option codes can be found on the underside of the storage compartment door located behind the seat.

Quick Reply: Recommendation on shocks to purchase