C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 running rough. Service Soon light on. It is not the gas. Idles fine. but when

Old 05-20-2002, 06:34 PM
Scooterpie
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 running rough. Service Soon light on. It is not the gas. Idles fine. but when

but when running and punch it, I get black smoke out of the rear. It is not responding well at all. Exhaust has a gas smell to it. I have 86000 miles and never had a tune-up. Thought is to change out the plugs and hope that fixes it. I really think I have an injector problem. Chould there be some sensors that are causing the fuel to run rich and that is the cause of the black smoke.

[Modified by Scooterpie, 4:35 PM 5/20/2002]
Old 05-20-2002, 06:55 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 96 running rough. Service Soon light on. It is not the gas. Idles fine.

I know this sounds elementary, but is the air filter dirty? Injector balance, low fuel pressure, and restricted fuel filter could also be the cause, but I don't think the fuel filter being clogged would produce the black smoke. Also, like you mentioned, the ignition system could have deteriorating components. Good luck! :seeya
Old 05-20-2002, 06:58 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 96 running rough. Service Soon light on. It is not the gas. Idles fine.Scooterpie)

Oh yeah, the O2 sensor would do it, but you would most likely experience idle problems with that. But you might check it out. You should put a scan tool on it, that might narrow it down some. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To 96 running rough. Service Soon light on. It is not the gas. Idles fine. but when

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 running rough. Service Soon light on. It is not the gas. Idles fine. but when