C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'92 LT1 gets warm...then dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Hey wayne! Sorry I didn't let you know about this trip. It came together really quick so no real notice. Plus I didn't know if I'd even be bringing my car until midnight the night before I left! No car would have meant no drag track.

I hope to see you soon one way or the other. Nikki Is in Park City today for a job interview...
When you have 5 minutes call me on my cell...Sure miss you two....
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Got my hands on a new distributor Thursday night. Installed it, put the water pump on, filled/bled the thing, and fired it up. Tested through two fan cycles, no codes, no issues. Went to bed at midnight.

Got up at 5 AM, got in the car and drove 580 miles to Vegas -evidence that I was pretty confident. Got to Vegas around 2, and then ran the car at the drag track there; ran a slew of 13.6's@103 and managed one 1.9 60' (best yet in this car) which got me a 13.5/103. So it was running...fantastic. Drove back home today. Put 1200 miles on it this weekend. Had the cruise set at 84 mph all the way to Vegas and all teh way back. Got 32.23 mpg going down and 27.11 coming back (AC on) for a 1200 mile average of 29.67 mpg. Not bad. Not bad at all.

The engine runs great, and also, the <2000 RPM high load miss problem that the car has had for years, is now gone. Pulls smooth from any RPM in any gear.

Thing is running great! Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!
What launch technique did you use to get the 1.9?

Two weeks ago, I ran a 13.46@104 with a 2.02 60 foot. I'm kinda stuck in the 2.0 range and in the 13.5X-13.4X range. Getting for that .1 at the line would be great.

Glad to hear it is running like it should.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
What launch technique did you use to get the 1.9?

Two weeks ago, I ran a 13.46@104 with a 2.02 60 foot. I'm kinda stuck in the 2.0 range and in the 13.5X-13.4X range. Getting for that .1 at the line would be great.

Glad to hear it is running like it should.
Hey buddy, why don't you go start a new thread if you want driving lessons!! j/k

Can I start by saying how I've been doing it? For contrast/perspective? Prior to this car, I've had cars with more low end tq, so I've basically trained myself to use a technique in which I "roll out" the clutch while I "roll on" the throttle, simultaneously. This process occurs over about a 1-1.2 second time frame. With the LT1, I don't have the tq, so my technique so far, has been to simply up the RPM before the "roll on/out" process. I had found that depending on the track, I could get up to 4k - 4.5k before the tires would spin, and when I went too high, they spin a LOT, 'b/c the motor was so wound up. Anyway, launching at ~4k would net me 2.09/8ish 60' times, which I wasn't too happy about...especially with the great traction for a street tire'd car. All ^this^ was in SLC UT or Grand Jct CO, so above 4500' elevation.

Vegas helps some because I had another 2000'+ of "air" to create more low end tq, but even so, using the same technique for several passes pretty much yielded the same results; 2.0x's. I got my extra .1 by slipping the clutch. I brought my RPM's up to about 4k, held (didn't pay any attention to the tree; just went when *I* was ready) it there, and when I was focused and ready, I did the same "Roll on/out" process, but over probably about a 2 second time frame. A LOT of slippage. Basically, I'd mat the gas, then use clutch modulation to not let RPM's drop below 3500 or so. BUT near the end of that duration, I'd start to feel like I was building too much heat in the clutch ("feel" would change) and so at that point, I'd "dump" what was left, which was not much. I felt that at that point, you could go on slipping it for way too long, waiting for the speeds to synchronize and you haze the hell out of it. Anyway, the final "grab/hook-up" probably occurred right at the 60' mark, and dropped the tach to about 3200, and it felt pretty good. I think that's about all it can do at that elevation. Sea level, you could probably dial the technique down a bit due to more tq. I also feel that this technique is hard on the clutch and I wouldn't probably do it regularly. I'd do it when I felt the opportunity was there to grab an absolute bottom number. (great air, my driving is "on", etc).

But it worked. The proper way to "fix" the launch issue as I see it is gears or more displacement. 3.45 gears are GREAT, when you have 400 CID!

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 04-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Hey buddy, why don't you go start a new thread if you want driving lessons!! j/k

Can I start by saying how I've been doing it? For contrast/perspective? Prior to this car, I've had cars with more low end tq, so I've basically trained myself to use a technique in which I "roll out" the clutch while I "roll on" the throttle, simultaneously. This process occurs over about a 1-1.2 second time frame. With the LT1, I don't have the tq, so my technique so far, has been to simply up the RPM before the "roll on/out" process. I had found that depending on the track, I could get up to 4k - 4.5k before the tires would spin, and when I went too high, they spin a LOT, 'b/c the motor was so wound up. Anyway, launching at ~4k would net me 2.09/8ish 60' times, which I wasn't too happy about...especially with the great traction for a street tire'd car. All ^this^ was in SLC UT or Grand Jct CO, so above 4500' elevation.

Vegas helps some because I had another 2000'+ of "air" to create more low end tq, but even so, using the same technique for several passes pretty much yielded the same results; 2.0x's. I got my extra .1 by slipping the clutch. I brought my RPM's up to about 4k, held (didn't pay any attention to the tree; just went when *I* was ready) it there, and when I was focused and ready, I did the same "Roll on/out" process, but over probably about a 2 second time frame. A LOT of slippage. Basically, I'd mat the gas, then use clutch modulation to not let RPM's drop below 3500 or so. BUT near the end of that duration, I'd start to feel like I was building too much heat in the clutch ("feel" would change) and so at that point, I'd "dump" what was left, which was not much. I felt that at that point, you could go on slipping it for way too long, waiting for the speeds to synchronize and you haze the hell out of it. Anyway, the final "grab/hook-up" probably occurred right at the 60' mark, and dropped the tach to about 3200, and it felt pretty good. I think that's about all it can do at that elevation. Sea level, you could probably dial the technique down a bit due to more tq. I also feel that this technique is hard on the clutch and I wouldn't probably do it regularly. I'd do it when I felt the opportunity was there to grab an absolute bottom number. (great air, my driving is "on", etc).

But it worked. The proper way to "fix" the launch issue as I see it is gears or more displacement. 3.45 gears are GREAT, when you have 400 CID!
Hell Tom, I rev it up to 1400, release the brake and ease down the throttle, (street tires) and best 60' at RMR is 1.7
Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

You mentioned your times and it got me thinking...so I asked.
I too have been using the roll out/roll on method holding about 2k.
I guess I'll keep playing with it and see what I get.
Sounds like in basically stock form a LT1 ZF6 car will at best 60' in the 1.9 to 2.0 range.

Auto's are better for 60's, I would kill for a 1.7. The 6 speed is just so much more fun to drive and better for auto-x.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
You mentioned your times and it got me thinking...so I asked.
I too have been using the roll out/roll on method holding about 2k.
I guess I'll keep playing with it and see what I get.
Sounds like in basically stock form a LT1 ZF6 car will at best 60' in the 1.9 to 2.0 range.

Auto's are better for 60's, I would kill for a 1.7. The 6 speed is just so much more fun to drive and better for auto-x.
Know that Wayne has a well modded 400, converter (auto), and some good drag track seat time. I don't think ANY stock LT1 will 1.7/60'.

I THINK that w/tires, you might be able to get the 60' down lower by launching even higher (5500+), but on real street tires, stock engine, trans and gears...I think 1.9 is about all she'll go. Mine anyway, with me driving. I'd be interested to hear about how you do in subsequent drag-track outings. 2k launches seem too low...to me. Though you do have an elevation/tq advantage.

Cool discussion!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Know that Wayne has a well modded 400, converter (auto), and some good drag track seat time. I don't think ANY stock LT1 will 1.7/60'.

I THINK that w/tires, you might be able to get the 60' down lower by launching even higher (5500+), but on real street tires, stock engine, trans and gears...I think 1.9 is about all she'll go. Mine anyway, with me driving. I'd be interested to hear about how you do in subsequent drag-track outings. 2k launches seem too low...to me. Though you do have an elevation/tq advantage.

Cool discussion!
Since I have installed my inherited dana 44 in the car, I will put some drag radials on, get up some rev's and see what it will really do... You have any plans to get back to RMR this year.....If so I will let you make some runs...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I will get up there Wayne! One way or another. :-)
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Cool discussion!
If I get to PRP this weekend I'll let you know the results.

Quick Reply: '92 LT1 gets warm...then dies