C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 corvette - L98 - i think just blew the motor...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:40 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't have jack stands get them before you get under the car. If it comes down you won't have to worry about the engine, just a pine box.

You can pick up an inexpensive floor jack, between $30/$40. It makes the job a lot easier. I may be wrong, but with these cars it looks like you would have to jack the car to get the ramps under the tires. Could be wrong.

I have just spent 2 weeks under mine and even on heavy duty stands I am uncomfortable.

You can use a 3' piece of garden hose to listen to the engine. Just put one end tight to your ear and the other end down by the engine. Move it to each cyl and listen. If you have a knock you will know it very quickly. I have used this many times to locate valve ticks and it does work.

Good luck with this and stay SAFE.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
drd21968
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i live about 1 hr down the road and have a friend who will be installing a 383 for me in a c4 next week.he works on corvettes all the time and has a small shop not a lot of overhead.if you need to swap engines or you want to see how mine goes i may be able to talk to him and help you out.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Dynamo6969
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aj1988
If you don't have jack stands get them before you get under the car. If it comes down you won't have to worry about the engine, just a pine box.
yeah thats why i havent gone under there yet! i like being alive lol

Originally Posted by drd21968
i may be able to talk to him and help you out.
PM sent
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 PM
mtnmanut
Racer

sorry to here about your problem, but your mechanical abilities sound like my little brothers, he picks up a screwdriver everybody runs. some have mechanical abilities some still can't figure out righty tighty lefty loosey.i agree with one poster to pull the belt off and fire it up and see if the noise is gone. if it is,whats your oil pressure? pull the dipstick , see any metallic in the oil. if you did spin a bearing,rod or main i'll guarentee the crank will need turned(polished in the least) which still means pulling the motor. you said the oil temp was very high,what was the engine water temp. if the oil temp was actually that high the coolant temp should have been high and over heating. you may as coincidents can be had an accessory bearing go bad, theres your noise, and the oil temp switch went bad giving you high temp readings. sometimes you just have to get lucky. in short,check the oil,pull off the belt, fire it up. good luck and we all know it sucks to have car problems. engine work is not that difficult, but i would never tell anybody to pull something apart that they have no clue as to what there attempting, you can cause yourself more problems and money. just my two cents. good luck
Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

IF you start out by educating yourself that is the biggest half of the battle...

Go to flea-bay and buy a used FSM set. It details how to do inframe crank work, bearing replacement and there is detail on every diagnostic proceedure.

A crank kit can be installed inframe if you are clean and patient.
First, get the education. Get the books. Study them. Build confidence and approach the problem armed with the correct info and the tools for the job.. Use your ability to apply logic to the situation. Coolest heads prevail.
Panic is what feeds the crusher at the scrap yard and Vettes do not bring much in scrap being 60% plastic. This can be easy when you know how......
Old 04-08-2012, 12:40 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

What is wrong with my step one??? drop the oil and look.. now if he has spun bearing.. every start will do more or serious damage
Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Docderek05
Racer

I have to agree with the 383 Admiral here..
a "look see" will sure keep that engine from destroying a potentially salvageable lower end. keep Cranking it over..and triple your thoughts on saving up to get it fixed, you will be better off to have a look. If you cannot understand what you are looking at, find someone who does, before you destroy a very robust engine. Don't yank the belt, don't crank it over, consider it dead, until you find an expert who is willing to look at it for you. I have to say, if you are thinking you are going to slide under a corvette using its own jack, you have no business attempting to drop the pan, alone. the pine box reference was in jest, but I would hate it to become true, careful brother..careful..think..like all good mechanics say, be smarter than the problem. Best of Luck to you on this sad turn.

Secondly..you say you want to buy another engine
and drop it in? You have no clue how to take the original one out, nor the means to do it, at your disposal, never mind the labeling, cataloging, and securing all the original parts you have to dismantle to prep it to take it out. never mind putting another engine back in. Please save yourself hours of frustration, and bring it to a reputable shop for a look. it may be less costly than you think, but if you continue on your present course, you are going to open a can of worms you potentially cannot resolve, better to know what you face, than to try and guess what your trouble is, why am i saying this..? you say you live in an apartment..where would you perform all this delicate surgery?

Last edited by Docderek05; 04-09-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Genevieve72
8th Gear

got it to a garage and told them all of this, they listened to the engine and said it sounded like it was about to blow a rod.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM
billybonesmusic
Pro

I agree with Cadmaniac. Find out where the squeeking is coming from. It could just be an accessory bearing. Just don't take a mechanic looking over the engine saying "yeah sounds like she's gonna blow" (with a bubba accent) If the engine got hot because the mixture is too lean with the new injectors and exhaust it could be anything that rotates on the engine. Not necessarily the crank. Buy some jackstands and a stethoscope. You will need those anyway down the road being a vette owner.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Docderek05
Racer

I agree with anything rotating could be a cause, but an oil temp of 302 degrees? , would you think one injector or more is dumping raw fuel...instead of leaning it out..and that is jacking the temp?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM
billybonesmusic
Pro

Originally Posted by Docderek05
I agree with anything rotating could be a cause, but an oil temp of 302 degrees? , would you think one injector or more is dumping raw fuel...instead of leaning it out..and that is jacking the temp?
I would think the injectors not flowing enough fuel would lean it out and make her run hot.

Quick Reply: 89 corvette - L98 - i think just blew the motor...