C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

PKE Fob Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
asjwalsh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PKE Fob Repair

For those of you, like me, that have a passive key entry system, I have good news if your fob no longer works. Buying a replacement is prohibitively expensive (approx $200) but I did a search on this forum and found Bree, email c4fob@yahoo.com. I sent her my broken fob and she diagnosed it, repaired it, modified the case, and it is now better than new She told me I had a cracked ceramic SMT capacitor that fed the drive for the resonant antenna system. Because it was cracked (and it was so fine you couldn't see it) this was the culprit in my intermittent then eventual failure. Mystery solved. Just as I suspected, a cracked ceramic SMT capacitor

As an aside, her credentials speak for themselves:

Bree did lots of wireless designs for GM model concept cars as well. She also designed for other companies, as well as historical designs for NASA Langley, and other federal agencies.

Although Bree didn't design the original fob, she did design the improved new style (two screws in back) OEM replacement for GM SPO in 2003. Her company also manufactured the first run of them from 2003 to 2006, now they are manufactured in Canada by another company. It was a labor of love then as it was a very difficult replacement design as she used an off the shelf microcontroller, as well as having to reverse the encryption because the original fob specs were sold to a number of companies and then lost. GM was ready to end the part if she could not replace it, so Bree designed the enclosure parts as well as working with the company that made the injection mold for the new style fob. She saved this fob so that folks would still have something for years to come for their Vetts. She was thinking about the passion of Vett owners when she did it. The new style fob has a programming port Bree can change the firmware of the two button fob and make it a one button fob, or do other things as well. She redesigned the wireless tire pressure system(dash receiver and tire trannsmitters) for the C4 Vett 89-96 as well, but that product line has now has been discontinued by GM. It was based on her patented robust set point circuit board integrated pressure sensor.

After Bree received my fob she sent me the following e-mail reporting what she discovered.

I received it and will review it fully by tomorrow. I briefly looked at it to get an overall idea. I noted that one of the battery snaps itself was broken off, not just the case snaps. The battery snaps are integral to the MID (molded interconnect device, more affectionately known as 3D plastic circuit board... so several mechanical issues there and likely the cause of the intermittent issue. I'll setup and run the test to confirm again by tomorrow. Then give you some options. If your not shy about me throwing the fob on my trusty CNC machine and delicately try to drill and mill some screw holes and recesses to make an internal battery strap or clamp and case securing screw I may give it a go. Ill see what the electrical testing tells us first.

If you have a broken fob laying around, I highly recommend sending it to Bree! She brought mine back from the dead

Last edited by asjwalsh; 04-11-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info. Although my fob works (when it wants to) I would like to know if it's possible to get a new case to include the little rubber buttons. Mine is quite worn and the buttons sometimes stay depressed. I also wonder if she is able to answer basic PKE questions about operation and troubleshooting. We still see folks here on the forum who don't fully understand how the PKE system works or what can cause it to 'turn off' or go to sleep.

Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

First I heard of this service, good research. I will keep the info for the future.
Presently I have 3 FOBS all good.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 AM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had some repairs done to my fob from Bree. I had to keep a rubberband around mine since it had a broken case tab, so I had her repair it using her new CNC machine as well as diagnose the electronics. It's on its way back in the mail right now! Great service and information. She sent me detailed emails with updates.

Originally Posted by VA50th
Thanks for the info. Although my fob works (when it wants to) I would like to know if it's possible to get a new case to include the little rubber buttons. Mine is quite worn and the buttons sometimes stay depressed. I also wonder if she is able to answer basic PKE questions about operation and troubleshooting. We still see folks here on the forum who don't fully understand how the PKE system works or what can cause it to 'turn off' or go to sleep.

Thanks again!
Bree mentioned that if you hold down the door unlock button until you hear the doors cycle TWICE, then that turns turns the manual mode on/off.

Last edited by bolowbc; 04-11-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Seriously, have you never read any posts or read the owners manual? Of course holding down the door button turns it off/on. We must explain that to someone once a week.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by markKlein
Seriously, have you never read any posts or read the owners manual? Of course holding down the door button turns it off/on. We must explain that to someone once a week.

Between Mark, myself and others we have explained how the PKE system works many times.

The only time I turn my system on, is if I am out of sight of my car (Traveling out of town, etc.).

Just a few from searching:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...something.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...hink-help.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...h-key-fob.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...on-on-pke.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...io-change.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...9-key-fon.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ming-help.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...ess-entry.html

Last edited by RollaMo-LT4; 04-11-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
etteroc27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind my asking, how much were the repairs?

Tom
Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
asjwalsh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on the exact issue your fob is having. One thing for sure, it will be way cheaper than a new one. Get in touch with Bree at c4fob@yahoo.com. She responds pretty quickly to emails.

BTW guys, we all know how to search, we all know that some subjects come up over and over again, but that doesn't mean we can't be civil and point people in the right direction. Sometimes the internet (esp forums) encourage behaviour that just wouldn't cut it in a face to face meeting. Imagine the scenario, new guy at the Corvette Owners Meeting;

"Hi, I just bought a C4 and wondered how you turn the PKE system off?"

"Hey, we have answered that every month for the last year. Why don't you just google it, or better still buy a service manual".

Last edited by asjwalsh; 04-11-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by asjwalsh
It all depends on the exact issue your fob is having. One thing for sure, it will be way cheaper than a new one. Get in touch with Bree at c4fob@yahoo.com. She responds pretty quickly to emails.

BTW guys, we all know how to search, we all know that some subjects come up over and over again, but that doesn't mean we can't be civil and point people in the right direction. Sometimes the internet (esp forums) encourage behaviour that just wouldn't cut it in a face to face meeting. Imagine the scenario, new guy at the Corvette Owners Meeting;

"Hi, I just bought a C4 and wondered how you turn the PKE system off?"

"Hey, we have answered that every month for the last year. Why don't you just google it, or better still buy a service manual".
Amen to that!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dwarf
Amen to that!

Amen to that!

For me...I enjoy sharing my experiences. I've had my 96 for 2 years and I can tell others what I've been through and what I did. If I can help someone, that's what it's all about. Plus, it makes this non-mechanic feel good!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

I don't think I have ever refused to share whatever knowledge I can contribute, at least I hope not (I do get frustrated by how many people seem to refuse to just read the owners manual when they buy a car). This wasn't a case of a noob asking a question. I'm sorry if my response or tone offended anyone, but I was literally stunned that a Senior member that has been reading these threads for five years would react like the on/off function of the PKE was brand new information.

So, sorry bolowbc, no offense meant, I was just surprised you didn't already know that.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markKlein
I don't think I have ever refused to share whatever knowledge I can contribute, at least I hope not (I do get frustrated by how many people seem to refuse to just read the owners manual when they buy a car). This wasn't a case of a noob asking a question. I'm sorry if my response or tone offended anyone, but I was literally stunned that a Senior member that has been reading these threads for five years would react like the on/off function of the PKE was brand new information.

So, sorry bolowbc, no offense meant, I was just surprised you didn't already know that.
I wasn't sure if your comment was directed at me or not. I misread what VA50th wrote and thought that he was asking how to turn it on/off. Upon review, I see that was not the case.

Not sure how you gathered that it was "new" or "old" information... I was just sharing my experience in dealing with Bree, which I think is the point of this thread. Along those lines, I never asked her the question of how to turn it on/off because I do read the manual. It was just information she offered and relevant to my positive experience.

Anyway, the point is that anyone who has key fob issues should definitely drop c4fob@yahoo.com a line.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Well, it appears that I entirely misread/misinterpreted bolowbc's post. My apologies to everyone.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
The only time I turn my system on, is if I am out of sight of my car (Traveling out of town, etc.).
On the other hand,

I never turn my system off. I really like the way the whole system works. But what I like best is when I walk up to the car with my hands full, I never have to put my hand in my pocket to get the key out to unlock it. It unlocks and two fingers to pull the door handle and the door is open. Then after I'm loaded up, I get the key out and I'm off.

I have the passenger door unlock with the driver's door always on also.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by pcolt94
On the other hand,

I never turn my system off. I really like the way the whole system works. But what I like best is when I walk up to the car with my hands full, I never have to put my hand in my pocket to get the key out to unlock it. It unlocks and two fingers to pull the door handle and the door is open. Then after I'm loaded up, I get the key out and I'm off.

I have the passenger door unlock with the driver's door always on also.
I agree that if my car is going to be locked, then it is with the PKE system active. And my doors are set as you describe.
I wouldn't want to get my key out to manually unlock the door either.

But sitting in my garage, jumping out to fill up with gas, etc. I see no need to lock the car.
When I pull into a place that I will need to lock the door, I just activate the PKE system and walk away.
When I am finished with the need for it to be locked, I turn the system off and don't worry about it until the next time it needs locked.
Living in a small town, I don't need to lock it everywhere I go.

Get notified of new replies

To PKE Fob Repair

Quick Reply: PKE Fob Repair