C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 corvette oil pan gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:00 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1994 corvette oil pan gasket question

Im fixing/going thru a 1994 vette for a friend. He stated a slow leak of oil in the front. So it started off as fuel filter change and now I have the whole front end off. lol

Basically I noticed hiw waterpump leaking and hes running real hot. So we got a water pump. Than I told him if he wants me to check for leak now is the time to dig. So I removed balancer and optispark. Top half of timing cover is dry. Bottom has alot of crud. 80% of me thinks its the oil pan gasket in the front. 20% the crank seal.

My question is if remove the timing cover can I seal the oil pan gasket than by just adding some oil pan gasket sealer? Is this a band aid or a valid fix if Im truely leaking from there?

Im tring to avoid dropping the pan. Unless thats easy with the motor still in? Anyone have success with doing this?

Car has 60000 miles on it FYI. So far damaged parts or need to replace are. Wires, coil, air lid, waterpump, and possibly opti.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dropping the pan and changing the gasket (use the felpro it's perfect!) is easy with the motor in. You may have to put a wrench on the crank and rotate the crank so that the pan clears. Messy but easy.

Quick Reply: 1994 corvette oil pan gasket question