C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dana 44 - Newman Car creations housing durability

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
James J
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 44 - Newman Car creations housing durability

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with this unit?

I road race with a Jerico dog ring trans, around 575 flywheel h.p. in a 2900# C-4. The pinion bearing race spins in the case and damaged the bosses twice.

I need a housing that is a little tougher than a stock unit. I was hopeful this Newman unit would be a substantial improvement with cryo treatment.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by James J

I road race with a Jerico dog ring trans, around 575 flywheel h.p. in a 2900# C-4. The pinion bearing race spins in the case and damaged the bosses twice.

I need a housing that is a little tougher than a stock unit. I was hopeful this Newman unit would be a substantial improvement with cryo treatment.

Can you provide a link to that?

Im all about making the d44 tougher.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:07 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

You need to call Newman and explain your intentions! He's a "straight up guy" and won't take advantage of a situation. I've got a couple NOS GM housings.

Which bearing front of the pinion or the rear of the pinion? You mention "bosses", I'm guessing you mean the bearing surface of the housing where the race is retained and you used the "plural"! You mention bearing "singular"? Are you saying it's spun both pinion races? Lubrication issues are generally the cause of the failure you describe if I'm understanding you.

Have you attempted a build using Loctite "sleeve retainer"? Sleeve retaining Loctite is green I believe. The everyday auto-parts chains won't likely stock it.

These are your "personal" builds or off someone's shelf?

You've got a pump and a cooler?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-30-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 PM
COPO
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Same dimensions as stock....but with better sand casting. He should have added more material around the pinion support. The sand casting will be stronger than the die cast corvette. Have one at the shop now if you would like some pics
Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM
James J
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You need to call Newman and explain your intentions! He's a "straight up guy" and won't take advantage of a situation. I've got a couple NOS GM housings.

Which bearing front of the pinion or the rear of the pinion? You mention "bosses", I'm guessing you mean the bearing surface of the housing where the race is retained and you used the "plural"! You mention bearing "singular"? Are you saying it's spun both pinion races? Lubrication issues are generally the cause of the failure you describe if I'm understanding you.

Have you attempted a build using Loctite "sleeve retainer"? Sleeve retaining Loctite is green I believe. The everyday auto-parts chains won't likely stock it.

These are your "personal" builds or off someone's shelf?

You've got a pump and a cooler?
Talked with Newmans - he seemed trustworthy and was very informative.

The bearing race (singular) closest to the ring gear spun in the alum case as you assumed.

I have rebuild another diff with the same failure as you suggested (loc-tite 620) but haven't used it. Perhaps it's time to see if it works.

All my differential work is done by a guy I've known for years. He's a drag racer, does excellent work and I trust him completely.

I have a tilton lub pump, earls cooler with fan and use Amsoil 75-140 Severe Gear lube.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
James J
Advanced

Originally Posted by COPO
Same dimensions as stock....but with better sand casting. He should have added more material around the pinion support. The sand casting will be stronger than the die cast corvette. Have one at the shop now if you would like some pics
Thanks. I've seen photos and talked with Paul at Newman. Their unit seems like the best choice for me.

I've considered machining a billet collar to slide onto the nose of the casting in the pinion area. Not sure it would be benefitial but I don't think it would hurt.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Default The rear bearing

Talked with Newmans - he seemed trustworthy and was very informative.

The bearing race (singular) closest to the ring gear spun in the alum case as you assumed.

I have rebuild another diff with the same failure as you suggested (loc-tite 620) but haven't used it. Perhaps it's time to see if it works.

All my differential work is done by a guy I've known for years. He's a drag racer, does excellent work and I trust him completely.

I have a tilton lub pump, earls cooler with fan and use Amsoil 75-140 Severe Gear lube.
Sounds like all the "right stuff"!

The rear bearing race has "spun" twice? Are these builds with a "crush-sleeve" or is pinion pre-load done with two sets of shims? Pinion angle it seems would be critical on this type of build, as the pinion is trying to "climb" the ring gear it's also attempting to move away(forward) of the ring gear. Anything other than ideal pinion angle would add to the shock. If there's a way to fashion a "pinion snubber" it would seem ideal! What gear ratio are these 3.07, 3.33?

Get notified of new replies

To Dana 44 - Newman Car creations housing durability

Quick Reply: Dana 44 - Newman Car creations housing durability