C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ECM Code 13

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 PM
chrldo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you mean you hear a whirling sound and the engine is not turning over? not cranking just the sound?
Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 AM
John Robinson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read it sounds like the starter is trying to engage. If as you say the voltage is good in the battery and the alternator is working then the most likely thing is you do not have a good ground on the battery. There are several grounds on these cars that are critical to there running .

There is a ground wire for the coil, On passenger side of car a ground wire on frame near near the radiator tank on firewall, Drivers side on the frame rail towards the front of the engine. Two grounds are behind the battery and you will have to remove the battery to get to them. Now here is the most important one on drivers side under the car there is a post on the bell housing with several wires going to it. I believe this is were the battery ground is. Oh and then there is the possibility that the ground wire on the battery is loose of the post is loose. I have seen batteries that the post or connection is loose in the battery. Since the battery has voltage I would be more inclined to think it is the ground to the frame that is bad. Finally since you are familiar with a MM connect it to the battery and see what the voltage drops down to when you engage the starter. It should not go any lower than 10 volts if it does again start looking for a bad ground or bad battery that has a dead short in it.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:19 AM
John Robinson
Racer

[EMAIL="[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll72/John-68/?action=view&current=Corvettegroundlocat ions.jpg][/URL]"][/EMAIL

Hope this helps
Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 AM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The starter motor does two things:
It pushes the gear forward to engage the flywheel and spins. I THINK the whirring noise you hear is the starter motor spinning without moving forward to engage the flywheel?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM
midweekwarrior
Advanced

Default Update

finally got the time to check the voltages..

my car on crank stay at 10v. I don't think we have a ground issue.

So, Im guessing i need to replace the ICM and move on from there?

The car also started up without any problem 3 or 4 times while i checked voltages - the car was still cold and didn't get an opportunity to get to operating temperature.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:19 PM
chrldo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you said "i hear a "whirring" type noise when i try to start the car, not the "Clicking" noise you'd usually associate with the starter being bad ". and you had a check engine and battery lights. why start putting expensive parts into it till you get past this issue. a bad starter will pull the voltage down causing the car to stall. a bad starter will start your car when its cold and not crank when its hot. if you find the starter to be good your only out 2 1/2 t0 3 hours of your time. you cant return electrical components.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 PM
midweekwarrior
Advanced

I finally replaced the starter. The car drove fine for about an hour and died on me. The car died in the same manner as before and displayed a check engine light and a battery symbol.

What is the next course of action?

Quick Reply: ECM Code 13