C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where to find headlight motor electrical connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to find headlight motor electrical connectors?

I'm trying to find a couple of the GM weatherpak 5-wire connectors (male). These are the connectors that attach the headlights/motors to the vehicle wiring harness on later model C4's. I've found the female ones on rockauto, but searched everywhere and can't find the male ones. Found 4-pin and 6-pin, but no five pin!

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkBychowski
I'm trying to find a couple of the GM weatherpak 5-wire connectors (male). These are the connectors that attach the headlights/motors to the vehicle wiring harness on later model C4's. I've found the female ones on rockauto, but searched everywhere and can't find the male ones. Found 4-pin and 6-pin, but no five pin!

Any ideas?

Thanks!
If like a 91 they are metri-pack I will check stock and see if I have a couple. Dou you need pins and seals or just the housings?
Dave
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Delphi "gender" is determined by the "terminal" and NOT the housing! That confuses some. Which "terminal" is it that you need? The connector/housing is generally the opposite of the "terminal".

Yes - they are Metri-pack 280

Search this document for 12084891. Second hit is an image

http://delphi.com/connectors/assets/...es_Section.pdf

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-20-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:08 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Delphi "gender" is determined by the "terminal" and NOT the housing! That confuses some. Which "terminal" is it that you need? The connector/housing is generally the opposite of the "terminal".

Yes - they are Metri-pack 280

Search this document for 12084891. Second hit is an image

http://delphi.com/connectors/assets/...es_Section.pdf
I could get the link to work but they are called a tower and a shroud not male and female. I have both in stock not a money maker of any kind just trying to help out at cost..
Old 10-20-2012, 01:29 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
I could get the link to work but they are called a tower and a shroud not male and female. I have both in stock not a money maker of any kind just trying to help out at cost..
I understand but if you look again you'll see the 12084891 referred to as a 5F which means it uses a "female" terminal! The 12186400 in the right column is referred to as a 5M and you can see it displayed with "male" terminals in it.

Shroud and tower I've never used when doing automotive particularly GM/Delphi, I just try to get it right. I've fixed many situations where the "other" guy got the "wrong" stuff. If you use the terminals that you actually need you'll not "error"!

I understand your effort to help - so am I!

I've never seen "tower" and "shroud" used in Delphi cataloging for anything other than randomly in Weather Pack.

FROM A WEATHER PACK FAQ BY A VENDOR "NOT" DELPHI

Why are the Weather Pack connectors called Towers or Shrouds instead of male or female connectors?
The use of the "Tower and Shroud" nomenclature eliminates confusion with gender specific connectors. Weather Pack towers are most often used with female terminals but they can also be used with male terminals. Weather Pack shrouds are most often used with male terminals but they can also be used with female terminals. It is even possible to use both male and female terminals in a single multi-circuit Tower or Shroud.

You can NOT "mix" in a Metri-pack 280

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-20-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:39 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I understand but if you look again you'll see the 12084891 referred to as a 5F which means it uses a "female" terminal! The 12186400 in the right column is referred to as a 5M and you can see it displayed with "male" terminals in it.

Shroud and tower I've never used when doing automotive particularly GM/Delphi, I just try to get it right. I've fixed many situations where the "other" guy got the "wrong" stuff. If you use the terminals that you actually need you'll not "error"!

I understand your effort to help - so am I!
If I got a buck for every one a DIY guy mispinned with the wrong pin for the housing I would not be working today or the next 10 years.. In this case one is black and one is gray and while not the proper way to identify it would facilitate this particular problem. At my cost the price for all 4 housings to do both sides is only a bit more than a flat rate box off the top of my head..
Dave
Old 10-20-2012, 02:30 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

These people http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/ have alot of connectors listed, and alot that are not listed. E-mail them if you dont see the one you are looking for.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Yes these guys might have what you need; (Same site as 93 Ragtop suggested)

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=191

Or maybe these guys;

http://www.mouser.com/Delphi-Connect...z0zlezZ1z0x3z0

Last edited by mako41; 10-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I believe Dave has him covered or that's the way I saw it earlier!

The OP was a little vague - it's hard to tell if he wants just the plastic connector or terminals and seals also OR if he really wanted a "pig-tail" with wires to cut & splice. It can be done either way!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:40 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
If like a 91 they are metri-pack I will check stock and see if I have a couple. Dou you need pins and seals or just the housings?
Dave
Thanks much everyone. They're male terminals (female shroud). In the link above, they look like part number 12186400. I'm hoping to find the housings with pins / terminals / seals.

If you have them that would be awesome! If not, looks like I can piece them together at mouser.com

Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I have pulled the pins out of a connector many times and transferred them to a new plastic shroud. Saves a lot of soldering, etc., especially if it's just the plastic part that is damaged.

This site will help you (or maybe confuse you with all their offerings) identify your connectors (direct from the source -- AC Delco). You can do a search based on connector gender and number of pins:

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pi/wiring-connectors/

Get notified of new replies

To Where to find headlight motor electrical connectors?

Quick Reply: Where to find headlight motor electrical connectors?