C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

liter bike beating performance c4.. whats all needed?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default liter bike beating performance c4.. whats all needed?

Some of you might laugh at that title, but there are already other c4 owners out here who have achieved this level of performance.

If you go to the C5 / 6 Forced induction site, you will see that a common theme is 'lets go hunt some literbikes'.

So that said, what all do I need to do?

Literbikes, with professional riders, typically run 1/4 mile in about the 10.1 second range.

When Im at the track, I observe literbikes running 1/4 mile (with less-than-experience riders) in the high 10 / 11 second range. Rarely do I observe bikes (and highly mod'd wheelie bar style) go under 10 seconds. However sometimes I do.

Street-style roll would be easier as bikes typically lose their power/weight ratio advantage (vs. aerodynamics) at high speed.

Literbike riders hate the threat of a safer, 4 wheel vehicle beating them because their riders are putting up with so much danger to be the fastest thing out there.

So they tend to take this real personal.

Whats all needed?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Corners.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM
leadfoot88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know but I am interested to see what other say.

I will give you a wild guess that it would probably take between $5-10k in engine/driveline modifications and $5k in brakes to slow you down. ha ha

Literbikes are really fast for really cheap.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
jtownc4
Instructor

I know what a Harley is, what a chopper is, what a bobber is, what a crotch rocket is, but I have no clue what a liter bike is... Is that one of those bikes I see college kids riding with shorts and sandals all the time, normally using the douchebag motorcycle riding technique?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Your really trying to chase a dream.

The litre bikes of yesterday are all now 1.3 & 1.4 litre pavement melters.

Every major manufacturer produces a box stock high 9's low 10's 1/4 mile machine that has a superior power to weight ratio to virtually everything on the road. Except maybe 1500 HP exotics. These bikes all have lightweight all aluminum, modern 4 valves/cylinder, full race engines. Thats before relatively cheap aftermarket exhausts, higher speed and hp mods are added to them!

The money you would need to spend on a C4 platform to chase one of these machinces would become really excessive and not really worth it in my opinon.

Last edited by mako41; 05-19-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ51
Corners.
Yes!

Four wheel rubber contact points will always out corner two tire contact patches the size of your fist!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by mako41
Your really trying to chase a dream.

The litre bikes of yesterday are all now 1.3 & 1.4 litre pavement melters.

Every major manufacturer produces a box stock high 9's low 10's 1/4 mile machine that has a superior power to weight ratio to virtually everything on the road. Except maybe 1200 HP exotics. These bikes all have lightweight all aluminum, modern 4 valves/cylinder, full race engines. Thats before relatively cheap aftermarket exhausts, higher speed and hp mods are added to them!

The money you would need to spend on a C4 platform to chase one of these machinces would become really excessive and not really worth it in my opinon.

Im talking about mod'd car vs. stock out-of-the-box bike.

Ive been under the impression that bike performance has stagnated for the past few years while car performance (ex. Veyron, Hennessy-modified vehicles, Lingenfelter? etc.) has really taken off. Launch control, Turbo technology, superchargers, meth injection, cylinder heads, etc. have made monumental improvements and are no longer exotic components that you need a speed shop to support. They are here for DIYer's at reasonable prices.

Even when you get to the category of mod'd bike vs. mod'd car, consider this:

The fastest accelerating vehicles in the world arent bikes. They all have at least 4 wheels.

Crap, ive read about 'streetable' Buick GN's running 4's. lol. (albeit high 4's). Granted I know a GN is prob a better package (solid axle, lots of space, etc.) than a c4.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 10-23-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

but they do 90mph in first gear
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jtownc4
I have no clue what a liter bike is... Is that one of those bikes I see college kids riding with shorts and sandals all the time, normally using the douchebag motorcycle riding technique?
it's 1000 cc bike

You already know what im going to say.
LSX!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:37 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

1/4 mi it can be done with money (lots) and a car that hooks real good.
Not too many of those bikes hit the strip though.

The tech in bikes is staggering.

EFI, ABS traction control etc. THey are bad news for most cars if youre looking to do the ol roll til we top business. Some dont even have a need for a 2nd brake handle anymore its all integrated in their computerized brake system. Tech is amazing and the power...dont even need mods.

Think the guys "hunting litre bikes" are talking through the side of their necks lol.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by ch@0s
it's 1000 cc bike

You already know what im going to say.
LSX!!!
Lsx for its weight advantage, beyond 400 cubic in capabilities and insane aftermarket support...I agree with you.

For an all out 'send a man to the moon' type build every little bit is going to count
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
but they do 90mph in first gear
That's wild!

How do they manage the tendency of wanting to do a backflip? It must take a special rider to keep it under control in 1st gear
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 PM
JAZZA
Heel & Toe

Most top line liter bikes can put out close to 200 hp. to the rear wheel, with some tuning. They weigh in at about 450lbs. wet some are lighter, a rider at 150lbs. and you have a total weight of 600lbs., do the math.

A standing start would be better for the car, and you better be able to trap over 160 in the quarter. The bike will get to it's top speed faster than a car, than aero drag takes over and a car can go faster but the bike will be at 190 and then car can chase it down. Of course the car needs good aero and Horse Power, and alot of road.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Factory liter bikes are chipped for 187 max speed world wide. A 60.00 plug & play aftermarket chip gets them 200+ & it does not take long to get there. 140 - 150 in a 1/4 mile is commonplace for a decent rider.

Unlike strapping on a car, mashing the gas pedal & pointing the nose at the horizon it takes years of dedicated practice to become a "good" rider. There are very few "great" riders.
If someone buys a liter bike it does not mean they know how to ride one properly & the idiots that ride in tee shirts, shorts & flip-flops will not be around very long.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:59 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Im talking about mod'd car vs. stock out-of-the-box bike.

Ive been under the impression that bike performance has stagnated for the past few years while car performance (ex. Veyron, Hennessy-modified vehicles, Lingenfelter? etc.) has really taken off. Launch control, Turbo technology, superchargers, meth injection, cylinder heads, etc. have made monumental improvements and are no longer exotic components that you need a speed shop to support. They are here for DIYer's at reasonable prices.

Even when you get to the category of mod'd bike vs. mod'd car, consider this:

The fastest accelerating vehicles in the world arent bikes. They all have at least 4 wheels.

Crap, ive read about 'streetable' Buick GN's running 4's. lol. (albeit high 4's). Granted I know a GN is prob a better package (solid axle, lots of space, etc.) than a c4.
You answered your own quesiotn even though bike performance has not stagnated.

The open class bikes pull hard all the way to 190mph in a blink of an eye.

The C4 wil need to have the power to drive you to 190mph+ in a standing mile.

That is a lot of HP and new gearing.

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Factory liter bikes are chipped for 187 max speed world wide. A 60.00 plug & play aftermarket chip gets them 200+ & it does not take long to get there. 140 - 150 in a 1/4 mile is commonplace for a decent rider.

Unlike strapping on a car, mashing the gas pedal & pointing the nose at the horizon it takes years of dedicated practice to become a "good" rider. There are very few "great" riders.
If someone buys a liter bike it does not mean they know how to ride one properly & the idiots that ride in tee shirts, shorts & flip-flops will not be around very long.
Actually any half competant weekend rider can run their open class bike to 180+mph on any decent stretch pf freeway - it is not hard and does not take much road.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

That's wild!

How do they manage the tendency of wanting to do a backflip? It must take a special rider to keep it under control in 1st gear
Lay on the tank to keep the front wheel pinned down. Also helps with aero. Rise up off the tank at speed = air brake. Don't rise all the way up if your at 150+.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 PM
JAZZA
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Churchkey

Only bikes from Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda and Ducati are held to the 186 max speed. This was a agreement that they signed to take pressure off them, This was done around the year 2000.

Going to a rolling start would give the car's advantage away to average bike rider.

Get notified of new replies

To liter bike beating performance c4.. whats all needed?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ride and I am telling you to watch for the ones that have the extended swing arms. they can launch pretty hard without the need for the need for wheely bars.

there are many bikes running on the roads that have been modded up to run in the 8's at over 160 in the 1/4.

there are 1300cc bikes running turbo's putting out 400 hp on the road. these generally have the exhaust exiting around the front of the bike.

it would cost a lot and make the car very uncomfortable to drive on the street if you want to run with them.

John
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
1/4 mi it can be done with money (lots) and a car that hooks real good.
Not too many of those bikes hit the strip though.

The tech in bikes is staggering.

EFI, ABS traction control etc. THey are bad news for most cars if youre looking to do the ol roll til we top business. Some dont even have a need for a 2nd brake handle anymore its all integrated in their computerized brake system. Tech is amazing and the power...dont even need mods.

Think the guys "hunting litre bikes" are talking through the side of their necks lol.

If anyone had some experience on a superbike, they wouldn't be wasting the time to play the dreamers game of being able to keep up with one....

The avg 750cc crotch rocket will break 11 seconds. Things like GSXRs or KZs will do 200+ AND get you in the high 10s WITH a full factory warranty and lots of nice accessories.
I've watched "built" 'Busa's that ran 240 mph in the MILE from a standing start. 1st gear did get close to 100mph...thats no BS.

The same mile course had Lambos, Carbon fiber ZRs and ZO6s, and every other exotic on the planet ONLY able to get into the 200+ area in that same mile. Only the most complicated, exotic track ONLY 4 wheel machines got anywhere close to what the bikes were able to do.

Someone gonna tell me what a "litre-bike"??? sounds like beer talk, not the reality of power/weight ratios and plain 'ol *****.

Having spent close to 30 yrs in Corvettes and having owned and raced the worlds fastest production bike in the 70s, I gotta say, there is no comparison.
The following users liked this post:
mako41 (06-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Lsx for its weight advantage, beyond 400 cubic in capabilities and insane aftermarket support...I agree with you.

For an all out 'send a man to the moon' type build every little bit is going to count
That reminds me.. the last man we sent out to the moon was scared and jumped right back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: liter bike beating performance c4.. whats all needed?