C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Air Intake; Vortex, SLP, or custom?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 PM
DennyGriffinJr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Intake; Vortex, SLP, or custom?

I know there is debate about the gains, if any from installing a cold air intake. I'm of the mindset that if I can get more air in AND out, it will increase HP, TQ, response, and feul efficiency. Already got rid of stock silencer and mufflers, had custom Coffin set up installed.

That being said, the only three options I see available are the SLP three filter set up, the Vortex Ram Air set up, or building something custom from a kit.

Anybody used any of these? Prefer one over another? As with previous posts, any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by DennyGriffinJr; 08-14-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 870 Posts

All are worthless for HP gains. There is a thread here detailing the lack of power gains over the stick airbox.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:15 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I installed the Vortex Ram Air and a like the way it sounds. Don't know if it has increased anything else. The installation was straightforward on my 89 but I had to modify it a bit since I have the radiator boost fan. Their instructions did not address this.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:30 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
All are worthless for HP gains. There is a thread here detailing the lack of power gains over the stick airbox.
....unless you come up with an intake that actually draws...COLD air. The SLP draws it's air from the exact same place as the stock air filter...so how's it going to provide any kind of "gain"? It won't. Find/create an assembly that actually draws air from outside the underhood area...or don't waste your time/money. Spend it on mods that will actually make a difference. For the price of the SLP intake -which will do nothing, you could buy a cam, which could do a lot.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:47 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

My vote:

Replace the intake with a supercharger or turbocharger.
The following users liked this post:
DennyGriffinJr (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 10:21 AM
DennyGriffinJr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
My vote:

Replace the intake with a supercharger or turbocharger.
This has been a thought, but I would assume that adding boost would require a whole lot more work than just slapping on a supercharger. Wouldn't I then need to change injectors, intake manifold, heads, etc?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:25 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You would probably need to change injectors for forced induction but new heads/intake would not be required, but may be beneficial depending on the power goal you have in mind.

Vortex for the later cars is the only one that cuts a hole and pulls in air, but you could do a custom box to do the same thing. None of them really give you any power gain.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:06 AM
AAFC
Emerging Vendor

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified

Default air, vortex, slp , or custom

Make a custom cold air system.

open air filter with cover
Feeding cold air to your intake system. Most systems are still getting air from inside the engine compartment . The one i found was the A/O system, if gets its air thru the front bumper, but the 5 ln opening is reduced by 1/3 the way it is designed.So using the opening in the front bumper and an open air filter lid and making a cover so that the air from the front bumper goes directly to the
filter to get air from outside directly to the intake. But what i found was that radiant heat from the radiator shroud keeps the incoming air heated. I then took Reflectix aluminun covered bubble warp placed between the air box and radiator shroud to helped reduce heat transfer. It may not be pretty but it dose work. This is still a work in progress , next will be warping the air box with DEI cool tape to also help reduce radiant heat.
John
1990 white/black #2546
one of a few auto (4l8OE) EQ. ZR-1's
The following users liked this post:
DennyGriffinJr (08-15-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Air Intake; Vortex, SLP, or custom?

Quick Reply: Air Intake; Vortex, SLP, or custom?