C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 4+3 OD Doug Nash Unit to 6 speed manual Trans

Old 11-06-2012, 01:43 PM
coryvett06
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 4+3 OD Doug Nash Unit to 6 speed manual Trans

I have an '85 Vette with the 4+3 Doug Nash OD unit (original). My dad and I have rebuilt the OD unit 3 times in 10 years and I am wanting to put a 6 Speed Manual Transmission on the car. I have inquired about a couple of pretty close fits but the cost of such a Trans is almost as much as I had paid for the car originally and just doesnt make sense to add to the car. I am trying to figure out if one of the C5 transmissions is a close replacement, 89..90...etc? If there is anyone that has made this change to an 85 Vette and has the information regarding the swap I would greatly appreciate it! My goal is to find out what trans will be a pretty close swap and then find this at junkyards, one or 2 (3)..that I can rebuild and buy whichever parts are needed and make a working transmission and then install the unit and adjust whatever is needed, shifter obviously, hoping for the drive shaft to be useable still. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 02:00 PM
fade2blk500
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coryvett06
I have an '85 Vette with the 4+3 Doug Nash OD unit (original). My dad and I have rebuilt the OD unit 3 times in 10 years and I am wanting to put a 6 Speed Manual Transmission on the car. I have inquired about a couple of pretty close fits but the cost of such a Trans is almost as much as I had paid for the car originally and just doesnt make sense to add to the car. I am trying to figure out if one of the C5 transmissions is a close replacement, 89..90...etc? If there is anyone that has made this change to an 85 Vette and has the information regarding the swap I would greatly appreciate it! My goal is to find out what trans will be a pretty close swap and then find this at junkyards, one or 2 (3)..that I can rebuild and buy whichever parts are needed and make a working transmission and then install the unit and adjust whatever is needed, shifter obviously, hoping for the drive shaft to be useable still. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

I just finished a t56 swap in my 87.. It cost me about 2500, but I spent alot on beefing up the transmission and getting a performance clutch. Realistically you could probably do the swap for 1500ish.

Good luck,
Craig

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...completed.html
Old 11-06-2012, 04:46 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coryvett06
I am wanting to put a 6 Speed Manual Transmission on the car
If there is anyone that has made this change to an 85 Vette and has the information regarding the swap I would greatly appreciate it!
The 89 - 96 Vette 6 spd is a bolt in swap

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/zf6/
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

There is huge amount of technology in a C4, too bad the prices are so low. It's a shame, since they are really pretty good cars.
Some people have been known to scrap the car because of the cost of a trans.
Unfortunately, the car is an expensive one to repair or modify.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Won't last long at that price

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...bel-500-a.html
Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow that ZF sounds suspiciously cheap money.

You "budget" options are:

1. a running ZF with all accessories (bell housing, clutch, etc.)
CON: not cheap, expensive to fix.
PRO: easiest swap, OE, strong trans.

2. T56
CON: must use adapter(s).
PRO: cheap to repair, strong trans.

3. T5 GM World Class
CON: must use adapter. GM WC are harder to find. Not as strong. Only a 5 speed (although geared nicely)
PRO: cheap to repair. can be made stronger.

4. 700R4
CON: it's an auto

Read up on the forum about some of the trans swaps done. I was looking for a good T5 originally. Couldn't find one that was good/cheap enough (figuring I had to rebuild it). I looked at ZFs but found NOTHING under a grand (and that's with OUT a flywheel/clutch $$$). I stumbled over a relatively inexpensive T56 and jumped on it. Haven't looked back since.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 4+3 OD Doug Nash Unit to 6 speed manual Trans

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 4+3 OD Doug Nash Unit to 6 speed manual Trans