C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil Leak LT1 Timing Cover After Replacing Water Pump and Opti-Spark 94 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 AM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Oil Leak LT1 Timing Cover After Replacing Water Pump and Opti-Spark 94 LT1

I just finished replacing the water pump and opti-spark on my 94 LT1 Vette and now I have an oil leak which appears to be coming from the seal around the cam gear that drives the opti-spark. I did not replace it but is this a major oil leak spot? If so, can I change the seal with the timing cover on the engine and do I need any special tools to remove and install? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

No real special tools needed. If you have the tools to do an opti, you have the tools to put the seal in. Use lube when installing and don't crease the sides during installation. Lots of work to do it again
Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Google "sharpie lt1 seal installation" then click images to see it in action.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
St. Jude Donor '15,'19

the OP is talking about the Opti seal not the waterpump seal, and you dont need to use lube on the seal to install it they go in pretty easy really. If you need to do the water pump seal thats a different animal and you should use this tool to do it right the first time, you dont want to tear it down again.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...tall-tool.html
Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

How bad is the leak? If its small you might just want to leave it alone. Tried fixing mine multiple times with no success. May have even made it worse. You do need a special tool for the water pump seal.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeljo2
I just finished replacing the water pump and opti-spark on my 94 LT1 Vette and now I have an oil leak which appears to be coming from the seal around the cam gear that drives the opti-spark. I did not replace it but is this a major oil leak spot? If so, can I change the seal with the timing cover on the engine and do I need any special tools to remove and install? Thanks for your help.

Ok upon further inspection it looks like my water pump seal around the gear is leaking oil on top of my opti-spark and yesterday I was getting my vette emissions inspected on the chassis roller and with the back end tilted up it must have made it leak more because the opti started acting up, hopefully it did not ruin my new opti I just put on, I guess I can pull the cover once I get it off and inspect the inside when I replace the front cover seals.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I am going to be likely replacing mine now that I need to replace the water pump on my LT4. Where does one buy the opti and water pump seals?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Where does one buy the opti and water pump seals?

Thanks
Summit Racing would be my first stop. GM Parts Direct would be stop #2.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Advanced Auto has the front timing seal kit in stock for around $10. Includes all 3 seals and the gasket for the front cover. You can buy it online and pick it up in store. Use the code M20 at checkout for 20% off.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Ordered the kit but I have one question, does the timing cover have to be removed to replace the crank seal? I read in another post that is does and the oil pan has to be dropped a bit to get the cover past the lip. I had to drop the pan on my 72 to remove cover, didn't realize this had to be done on the 96. I am not going down that road. You may fix one leak but create 3 others.....no way.

Last edited by KJL; 12-06-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KJL
Ordered the kit but I have one question, does the timing cover have to be removed to replace the crank seal? I read in another post that is does and the oil pan has to be dropped a bit to get the cover past the lip. I had to drop the pan on my 72 to remove cover, didn't realize this had to be done on the 96. I am not going down that road. You may fix one leak but create 3 others.....no way.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ilies/ack2.gif
No you do not have to remove the front cover to replace the front crank seal. But, ensure you have a leak there before you decide to remove it because it isn't exactly fun without the proper Kent Moore factory puller.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Agreed, I need to pull the balancer/pulley to get the opti off for inspection anyway, I will check the seal at that point, it may be difficult to tell because I am sure everything is caked with sludge. I was going to do this in the garage but decided to do outside. Going to need to put car on ramps as well to knock pulley off from under car....what fun.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Been there..Twice. When you get the pulley off make sure you clean the back side and wipe some antiseize on it where it mates to the hub. Makes removing it a breeze in the future if need be.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Have you ever replaced the crank positioning sensor o-ring seal? If so, where did you order it from? Sounds like one of those things u can only get if you buy the sensor.

Have you replaced the crank seal? wondering best way to pry it out without damaging the cover or crank. Figured I would tap it in using a piece of PVC pipe.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KJL
Have you ever replaced the crank positioning sensor o-ring seal? If so, where did you order it from? Sounds like one of those things u can only get if you buy the sensor.

Have you replaced the crank seal? wondering best way to pry it out without damaging the cover or crank. Figured I would tap it in using a piece of PVC pipe.
I have a 94' so no crank position sensor for me. That was a 96' OBDII thing only.

I have replaced the front crank seal, twice actually. Once because it was leaking due to age (100k miles). I replaced it and used the original hub which had a slight groove worn into it. This wore out the new seal and started to leak again. I pulled the hub and replaced the seal again but used a new billet steel hub.

To remove it get yourself a seal puller from your local parts store. Makes removing it a lot easier. You can use a peace of PVC pipe to tap it back in. I used a piece of PVC pipe the same diameter as the outer part of the seal, and then took my hub puller and threaded the crank bolt back into the crank and tightened it to actually "press" it back in. Hard to explain but works perfectly.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

same thing happened to me.. I let it go for about a year, right before I decided to fix it.. it dried up.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
I have a 94' so no crank position sensor for me. That was a 96' OBDII thing only.

I have replaced the front crank seal, twice actually. Once because it was leaking due to age (100k miles). I replaced it and used the original hub which had a slight groove worn into it. This wore out the new seal and started to leak again. I pulled the hub and replaced the seal again but used a new billet steel hub.

To remove it get yourself a seal puller from your local parts store. Makes removing it a lot easier. You can use a peace of PVC pipe to tap it back in. I used a piece of PVC pipe the same diameter as the outer part of the seal, and then took my hub puller and threaded the crank bolt back into the crank and tightened it to actually "press" it back in. Hard to explain but works perfectly.
I'm looking to do the same think on my 1994 LT1. Where did you get the billet hub from?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak LT1 Timing Cover After Replacing Water Pump and Opti-Spark 94 LT1

Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SnAkeDr
I'm looking to do the same think on my 1994 LT1. Where did you get the billet hub from?
http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=

They also have it listed on Fleabay. You will have to remove the dowel with vice grips if you are going to use the stock dampener.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=

They also have it listed on Fleabay. You will have to remove the dowel with vice grips if you are going to use the stock dampener.
Thanks!!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SnAkeDr
Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Oil Leak LT1 Timing Cover After Replacing Water Pump and Opti-Spark 94 LT1