C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

coolant leak 96

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default coolant leak 96

I had a coolant leak about a month ago and thought it was the water pump. I cleaned everything up so I could see where it was coming from and it stopped leaking until today. The coolant is pooling on the cross member. Not a lot but enough to leak down onto the floor. The coolant is not coming from the seep hole under the pump and all hoses are fine. Is there an o ring or shaft seal on the back of the water pump? The opti is totally dry, thank god and the car runs great. It seems like it's leaking down behind the opti. Are there any sensors that go into the block down there? Is the water pump shaft seal my likely culprit? Before I pull it off I just want to be sure thats its not something else. Replacing the water pump doesn't look too difficult. Where else should I look? Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a seal on the back of the LTI pump to the shaft that drives the pump
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heater hoses/valve
knock sensors

Dye + Black light if you can't find it.

Masking tape and toilet paper on your suspects for a brief run should tell.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
knock sensors
Not his problem
Are in the side of the block behind the engine mounts
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 PM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
St. Jude Donor '15,'19

Originally Posted by vetteoz
There is a seal on the back of the LTI pump to the shaft that drives the pump
you will need to pull the pump in order to see the seal on the back of the pump but thats probably where yours is leaking from.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

If the shaft seal on the back of the pump isn't leaking check the six pump bolts (three on each side) to make sure they are tight. I had the same type of leak and unfortunately it ended up being the water pump gaskets so I had to pull it to replace. I ended up replacing the water pump and doing a tune-up since I had to take it apart anyway.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Not his problem
Are in the side of the block behind the engine mounts
Yeah, the leak is not near the knock sensors but I see a sensor just below the balancer that looks like it might screw in like a knock sensor. I can't really see up in there when I get under the car. It's an lt4 and it has 100k on it so a new water pump doesn't kill me but I just want to be sure. Thanks for the help guys
Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
If the shaft seal on the back of the pump isn't leaking check the six pump bolts (three on each side) to make sure they are tight. I had the same type of leak and unfortunately it ended up being the water pump gaskets so I had to pull it to replace. I ended up replacing the water pump and doing a tune-up since I had to take it apart anyway.
The front, sides and bottom of the pump are dry so it must be the seal or gaskets. I just want to confirm that nothing else is under there that would leak. What sucks is I don't know if the opti is original. The plug wires are taylors with 20k or so and the plugs were done then as well. would hate to have the opti go after doing this but I don't feel like spending the money and getting that balancer off looks like a pain. I'm off tomorrow so I guess I'll be wrenching. any thoughts about a new pump? local advance auto maybe or do I need gm? Thanks again guys
Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 PM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15,'19

Is it your daily driver or do you have it stored for the winter? if its your DD i would just pull and replace the pump and pull the Opti cover to inspect.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by higgyburners
Is it your daily driver or do you have it stored for the winter? if its your DD i would just pull and replace the pump and pull the Opti cover to inspect.
I do have a truck but I mostly drive the vette. I can certainly take it off the road for a bit. I was just looking at your thread for a tool that installs the water pump shaft seal. So I need that to R&R the water pump or does the shaft seal stay on. If it stays on when you R&R the pump, is it a good idea for me to replace that as well or only if it's leaking? how difficult is it to get the shaft seal off and a new one on? I was reading through a bunch of threads about replacing the water pump and I didn't read anything about a special tool so I am thinking/hoping that this is a separate seal. The car has 100k on it so I want to do whatever makes sense at this point. Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 PM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15,'19

The seal does not have to be replaced if your in there to change out the pump, but once your in there and pull the pump and see this mess all that i thought i was going to do suddenly changed. My leaking water pump turned into some vey needed maintenance, pump,opti,all cover seals,plugs and wires,cleaned the throttle body,belt and tensioner pulley,idler pulley. the two things i missed were to clean out in between the radiator and condenser and to inspect the ECM for the condition of the heat transfer paste. but i got to visit them shortly after puting it all back together. So it really matters how much work you want to do. You will find a endless supply of important info from the members on the forum they are a big help BTW mine was like this on a 46,000 mile car so i hope your PO took better care.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by higgyburners; 12-02-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by higgyburners
The seal does not have to be replaced if your in there to change out the pump, but once your in there and pull the pump and see this mess all that i thought i was going to do suddenly changed. My leaking water pump turned into some vey needed maintenance, pump,opti,all cover seals,plugs and wires,cleaned the throttle body,belt and tensioner pulley,idler pulley. the two things i missed were to clean out in between the radiator and condenser and to inspect the ECM for the condition of the heat transfer paste. but i got to visit them shortly after puting it all back together. So it really matters how much work you want to do. You will find a endless supply of important info from the members on the forum they are a big help BTW mine was like this on a 46,000 mile car so i hope your PO took better care.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

mine is a lot worse. lots of oil and gunk on the front of the timing cover and all over the sensors. I think the timing cover or intake leaks. I'll clean it all up. wish I had the cash to really overhaul it right now. I already did the radiator, gutted the interior and put all new, all new rear and front suspension, new heater core so the engine is all thats left and I am not a great mechanic. all that other stuff is just unbolt and put back on. The harmonic balancer is what scares me. seems like a tight place to get into to whack that off. guess its time to learn. thanks for the info. I'll be tearing into it tomorrow
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 AM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15,'19

The best way I found to tackle the balancer is to take the 3 bolts out and get a long piece of dowel and tap it from behind the balancer under the car. You will want to tap on both side of center and only on the inside ring then go up and spin the pulley a quarter turn and repeat this until it drops off. It took me a few time to get it off.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Elrick
I see a sensor just below the balancer that looks like it might screw in like a knock sensor.
96 only has a crank position sensor in the bottom of the timing cover
Leaks oil ,not coolant

Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Elrick
Drifting

Last question, I hope. If it's the water pump seal or gaskets that are leaking should I just replace those and then put the pump back on? It is not leaking at the weep hole, the car does not overheat and it seems relatively easy to change the pump. The car does have 100k on it so I am thinking I would be being cheap by not just putting a new one on. How long do they usually last for? Lastly, I am looking at new pumps, GMs are $379. delco was $189. Edelbrock makes one in chrome which I guess looks cool but you don't really see it down there and it's $289. the local parts stores are $159 for no name. also I am seeing cast aluminum and stamped. what should I get? Thanks for all of your help
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15,'19

If its the seal just replace the pump, if its your gasket then your lucky, about a $3.00 fix. I replaced my first one with AC Delco and the next season it was leaking again out the weep hole, they replaced it no charge so i put another Delco on and no problems since.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I am looking at having to do the same thing. Noticed many brands of pumps, although I think I will stick with either AC Delco which I found on ebay for under 150 "new" or Bosch which PepBoys sells I believe for about 110. Just to be clear, there is a seal located in the water pump that if it fails will leak coolant, there is a shaft seal also located in the cover, that will leak oil, and can be replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To coolant leak 96

Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Elrick
Last question, I hope. If it's the water pump seal or gaskets that are leaking should I just replace those and then put the pump back on? It is not leaking at the weep hole, the car does not overheat and it seems relatively easy to change the pump. The car does have 100k on it so I am thinking I would be being cheap by not just putting a new one on. How long do they usually last for? Lastly, I am looking at new pumps, GMs are $379. delco was $189. Edelbrock makes one in chrome which I guess looks cool but you don't really see it down there and it's $289. the local parts stores are $159 for no name. also I am seeing cast aluminum and stamped. what should I get? Thanks for all of your help
I went with this unit, (Im not rich) It has a lifetime warranty, and is high volume. Havent had any problems! Peace. h

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...model/corvette
Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15,'19

Originally Posted by KJL
I am looking at having to do the same thing. Noticed many brands of pumps, although I think I will stick with either AC Delco which I found on ebay for under 150 "new" or Bosch which PepBoys sells I believe for about 110. Just to be clear, there is a seal located in the water pump that if it fails will leak coolant, there is a shaft seal also located in the cover, that will leak oil, and can be replaced.
correct
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Elrick
Drifting

well, finally got the water pump off. there was so much sludge I couldnt even see the middle bolts on each "ear". I can really tell where the leak was from but the driver middle bolt came out without any force, maybe the gasket failed there. what really sucks is I spilled a good amount of coolant everywhere. I had tried to cover the opti as best as I could with plastic and then towels but I am thinking I should replace it. It has 100k on it. I know the 96 had the best version, I just don't want to put this altogether and have it fail. so of coarse now I am thinking of doing the timing cover gasket as well, maybe even intake and valve covers. what the hell. There is just an inch of oil sludge everywhere. getting the balancer off looks to be my next battle. Time to spend more money.

Quick Reply: coolant leak 96