C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Chet1993
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue

I have a '93 Vette with an occasional starting problem. After the car has been driven and then sits for a period of time it will not start properly. It may just turn over but not catch or it starts and the idle is very rough. If it starts with the rough idle it may clear it self in a few seconds or I may have to turn it off and try again. Sometimes I may have to try several times. Has any one had this experience?

The car has 46,000 miles on it. New plugs, belt, all fluids and filters but no real tune up. It should not be the distributor unit with this low miles. The fuel pressure regulator is working properly. I'm guessing an electrical issue also, but hard to pin point. Hoping someone else has had this issue to short cut the process of elimination.

Last edited by Chet1993; 12-27-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Need more info, like how many miles? When's the last time you did a major tune up? The problems you describe could be electrical or a fuel delivery problem!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm betting you have a bad fuel pressure regulator. Check the vacuum hose to the FRP for fuel in it. If it is wet, it's probably loading the manifold up with fuel which makes hard starting and rough running till it clears out.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
I'm betting you have a bad fuel pressure regulator. Check the vacuum hose to the FRP for fuel in it. If it is wet, it's probably loading the manifold up with fuel which makes hard starting and rough running till it clears out.

Exactly what I was thinking as I read the original post. My car caught on fire because of a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm, so fix it ASAP.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting issue

Quick Reply: Starting issue