C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine Heating issues

Old 12-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Rocketvette89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Heating issues

I want to avoid the engine oil and water heating issues that I have read about. I am thinking about a high volume oil pump, water pump and a larger capacitiy radiator. Any suggestions/recomendations on these parts?

Thanks,

Rocky
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

you will never regret upgrading from the stock water pump (with it's stamped sheet "paddle wheel" inspired impeller) to a quality aftermarket pump with a much more efficient fully machined, curved vaned, impeller. Google and look at pictures of aftermarket electric pumps for LT engines; they all use machined impellers. Stock water pumps have nothing, I repeat, nothing, in their favor except being far cheaper in cost.

If you look at the front of the block where the pump mounts onto, you will notice a third round hole next to the mounting bolt hole. This is a factory nod to all the chevy owners in Alaska, Canada, and anywhere else that vehicles operate in sub zero temps. Basically it takes water from the discharge side of the pump, and instead of sending it to the radiator, short circuits it directly back to the suction side of the pump. While this aids in rapid warm up in sub zero temps, it prevents the pump from sending all the hot water from the engine to the radiator, degrading cooling system efficiency. A long time mod was to plug or restrict this passage either in the block face or the water pump. Most high performance pumps will come with this passage already deleted.

High volume versus standard volume oil pumps are a source of eternal debate; personally, I like 'em , especially on an engine with some miles on it, but others don't and I'm sure you'll be hearing their reasons.

Radiators are always an area that can be upgraded, and there are plenty to choose from, although DeWitts is probably a top choice. But there is no denying that the stock radiator performs well. In either case the radiator sucks up road trash and has to be kept clean as does the A/C condenser mounted in front of it.

good luck with your car, enjoy it, and as they say "save the wave"
Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Rocketvette89
Racer

Thanks alot for the information. I have a 89, L98. I will check it all out. Currently the motor is being rebuilt.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Don't forget to put a mesh screen to stop the leaves piling up between the radiator and condenser.
I got a sheet that i cut to size and slid in between the front frame and radiator baffle, you can also buy a screen made for the job re the link.

http://www.ebay.com./itm/84-91-CORVE...item439d49a472

Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Rocketvette89
Racer

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Don't forget to put a mesh screen to stop the leaves piling up between the radiator and condenser.
I got a sheet that i cut to size and slid in between the front frame and radiator baffle, you can also buy a screen made for the job re the link.

http://www.ebay.com./itm/84-91-CORVE...item439d49a472

Thanks for the info. I checked it out and will buy one for my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Heating issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Heating issues