C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Super Cam....into LT1 Super Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Default L98 Super Cam....into LT1 Super Cam?

Any of you guys ever hear of the TPIS Super L98 cam?
Basically its was crated for SCCA World Challenge to run "stock" (passes tech) camshaft.

The specs. are as follows duration @ .050" 220/220 Lift: .420/.420 Lobe separation is 112 degrees.

This cam gained 30 ft-lbs and 20 HP in a stock L98.

My question/thought (one that is quite intriguing to me) is could a cam for the LT1 be created along similar ideas. A sleeper cam so to speak, sounds dead stock, passes a technical inspect for lift and seat duration yet improves power overall.

I guess the other question is would a LT1 cam like this actually make much of a difference?

The article I read says the Super L98 cam has aggressive acceleration off the valve seat, but doesn't kill the valve-train.

Thoughts/Comments?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The LT1 is tuned to a different power band, due to the differences between manifolds. The super cam has low lift to keep velocity around the valve higher, which seems to compliment the TPI and the torque it produces. With that lift and duration, I don't see much accelerated opening, especially to the point of harming the valvetrain. And it is a flat tappet, very limited in it's profile, compared to the roller set up on the LT. Flat tappet grind on a roller is going way backwards. That said, I think TPIS might know a thing or two about what combos work. I would pick the brains of people who have actually ran the combo, I am sure they have sold alot of those cams. It's really a super RV cam.

Last edited by powerpigz-51; 01-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

i have been running the tpis super l98 cam in my 89 since the 90's, and it is a roller cam. also running 1.6 rockers and it does sound pretty good.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
i have been running the tpis super l98 cam in my 89 since the 90's, and it is a roller cam. also running 1.6 rockers and it does sound pretty good.
I digress....they have them in roller and flat tappet? my bad
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by powerpigz-51
The LT1 is tuned to a different power band, due to the differences between manifolds. The super cam has low lift to keep velocity around the valve higher, which seems to compliment the TPI and the torque it produces. With that lift and duration, I don't see much accelerated opening, especially to the point of harming the valvetrain. And it is a flat tappet, very limited in it's profile, compared to the roller set up on the LT. Flat tappet grind on a roller is going way backwards. That said, I think TPIS might know a thing or two about what combos work. I would pick the brains of people who have actually ran the combo, I am sure they have sold alot of those cams. It's really a super RV cam.
I think you may have misunderstood my post.

I like the IDEA of a Super L98 cam.

My idea is to apply the concept of a Super L98 cam to the LT1 engine.

I'm just not sure if it would produce the same results or not.

A "sleeper cam" that sounds dead stock, maybe even passes a technical inspection yet provides more TQ and HP.

Other-words a LT1 version of the Super L98 cam.

I have no intentions of running a Super L98 cam in my LT1 that would be a waste.

Hope this clears it up.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

How about a hot cam or a comp cam cc503... It's not that aggressive of a cam choice
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
I think you may have misunderstood my post.

I like the IDEA of a Super L98 cam.

My idea is to apply the concept of a Super L98 cam to the LT1 engine.

I'm just not sure if it would produce the same results or not.

A "sleeper cam" that sounds dead stock, maybe even passes a technical inspection yet provides more TQ and HP.

Other-words a LT1 version of the Super L98 cam.

I have no intentions of running a Super L98 cam in my LT1 that would be a waste.

Hope this clears it up.
I don't know of this "super cam" intimately, but by your discription, it simply sounds like a 220/220 with fast opening rates. Yes? If so, I'd guess that you could get a "Super LT1 cam" by buying a Comp XE or XFI roller cam in the 2-teen range. The whole premise of the the XE and XFI line were aggressive ramp rates giving more .050 duration for the seat to seat.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I don't know of this "super cam" intimately, but by your discription, it simply sounds like a 220/220 with fast opening rates. Yes? If so, I'd guess that you could get a "Super LT1 cam" by buying a Comp XE or XFI roller cam in the 2-teen range. The whole premise of the the XE and XFI line were aggressive ramp rates giving more .050 duration for the seat to seat.
I'll have to look into that. Yes, you got the basic idea.

I'd want it too sound close to stock so the Hotcam/CC503 is too much.
The Hot Cam has too much exhaust over lap for what I have in mind.

Lingenfelter has some milder cams. http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Store_Code=LPE

Check out this "sleeper cam" (1st on page). The key is the 114 lobe separation. Not too much duration either. Like I said, to sound stock, no lope.
http://elliottsportworks.com/?page_id=32

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Super Cam....into LT1 Super Cam?

Quick Reply: L98 Super Cam....into LT1 Super Cam?