C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dyno results are in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T. Wayne Nelson
I am not complaining see below against a Z06:

Nice run. What is you ET and MPH?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocky Mt is at 4600 ft with barometrics as high as 8000, I would have to look at the run ticket but I think it was 110 mph, 60' on street tires 1.7, 12.7 sec. Hard to make fast numbers here.....
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=T. Wayne Nelson;1582784186]Rocky Mt is at 4600 ft with barometrics as high as 8000, I would have to look at the run ticket but I think it was 110 mph, 60' on street tires 1.7, 12.7 sec. Hard to make fast numbers here.....[/QUOTE]

That's not bad at all considering the DA. Here is a link that corrects DA and you can even look up specific tracks on given days etc. http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...ect+ET+and+MPH
Using this calculator that equates to (at 4600da) 12.15 at 115mph. and at (8000DA) 11.68 at 119mph.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I'd drop in to see if Richard started a thread, and I see he did. So, I guess I'll answer some questions.

1, the dyno wideband is setup for gas, so just read it like it's running gas.

2, I've run hundreds of cars on this exact dyno, and thousands on Dynojets in general. This dyno falls right in line with the rest of them. I have no reason to lie. It's not like jackin up the numbers of an NA LT1 is going to do anything for my career.

3, the first few runs were on the original injectors. It took me a little while to figure out they were flowing considerably less than they were rated at. It was so unbelievably lean it would not make any power, that's the difference between the runs. Disregard the one little tiny run, the other runs where pretty close until it started running out of fuel, and that's where it noses over.

4, I had the opportunity to tune Will's car a few years ago. His was impressive as well. The man knows what he's doing when it comes to building these engines. I can't take any credit for the power, all I'm doing is giving the motor what it wants.

If anyone has any other questions, shoot. I'll try and dip back in here later tonight and answer if there are any.

BTW, thanks to both Richard and Will for the business, and the opportunity to tune a really nice LT1. I don't see many of them any more.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=edcmat-l1;1582796946]
3, the first few runs were on the original injectors. It took me a little while to figure out they were flowing considerably less than they were rated at. It was so unbelievably lean it would not make any power, that's the difference between the runs. Disregard the one little tiny run, the other runs where pretty close until it started running out of fuel, and that's where it noses over.

Just wanted to add a little info on this. I purchased the injectors (30lb) used about 6-8 years ago. But had never installed them. On my previous motor (stock bottom end, hotcam, ported heads, headers. ) I was still running the stock injectors until it blew up. When Alvin at pcmforless had tuned it, (dyno) he told me I was at the limit and going a little lean. So I purchased the 30's but again never installed them.
Well fast forward to my current motor, I had Alvin to burn a start up tune. Of course it was using the 30 lb injectors. Well the motor was running way lean on the top end. I had a new fuel filter already, so I installed a 255 pump. The pressure was good, but after Alvin looked at some data logs of the car, he said I had a fuel problem. Which Ed verified by finding the injectors defective.
All considered even with the bad injectors the car ran pretty well. At the local track leaving it in drive (shifting at 5700) it would start cutting out at the top of 1st gear, then in 2nd, it would miss so bad at the top end, I would have to let off and let it shift. All of that and it still ran a 7.85 at 90.xx mph in the 1/8 on street tires!! Cant to see what it will do after Ed is finished!!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Alvin@PCMofNC
Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
[QUOTE=T. Wayne Nelson;1582780098]I am running a scat 4340 rods and crank. about the same cam, I think the MR flows more, your heads are where you get me, and figuring the difference that's where its likely to be. I am running the AFR l98 angle plug heads. 280 or so flow.

My heads are 311 peak. Don't know if the mr flows better then the LT4 intake especially when its been ported. Also keep in mind this is on e85 and my tuner said it will probably drop by 20 or so hp on pump gas. Hope to have an exact answer in a few days.
BTW is your cam a roller cam? And talk to Will he is very helpful and knowledgeable on what makes power.[/QUOTE]

Hey it's good to see how well the car turned out! I guess the 30's where bad and that is where you where having fueling issues or did you also have a bad pump! Either way congrats!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Hey it's good to see how well the car turned out! I guess the 30's where bad and that is where you where having fueling issues or did you also have a bad pump! Either way congrats![/QUOTE]

Hey Alvin, good to hear from you!! I wonder how the car would have run on your tune with good injectors? FWIW I put a new 255 pump and had already put a new fuel filter on the car when I had the motor out. The pressure was holding steady and I even turned it up to 50psi. Ed said the injectors were working at about half capacity.
I would have trailered the car down to your shop but its was going to be about 325 miles each way.
But to anyone reading this IMHO you will not find anyone who is more honest, willing to help, or more knowledgeable then Alvin. The only reason I switched tuners is the distance.
But, again, I have been very fortunate to have Ed tuning the car. He too, has put in a lot of time working the bugs out and getting it right.
As far as I know, Ed and Alvin are the only tuners on the east coast who are willing to tune a OBD1 car.
Again, this is just my opinion, but the LS1 etc. are much easier to tune then our cars are. I have seen other tuners make remarks such as "we don't tune anything that old" IMO what they are really saying is, we what the easy stuff (obdII), and don't want the more time consuming stuff (obd1), or we just don't have the knowledge to work with OBD1.
I will stop with the rambling, and just say, you wont go wrong with Ed or Alvin!!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Alvin@PCMofNC
Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great! Thanks! I just wanted some closure on the thing. I knew I wasn't crazy looking at the datalogs!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:13 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Great information in this thread!

I know this is an old thread-But I have a question With the e85 are you still utilizing the stock fuel lines and stock gas filter?

Thank you,
Steve
Old 12-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I did for a few years with mine now. Very happy with E85.
The following users liked this post:
STEVEN13 (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 03:40 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I did for a few years with mine now. Very happy with E85.
Thank you for responding!

I asked as I am putting a ProCharger on my 1992 and may try to run it on e85. So much conflicting information out there. Good to hear from someone who actually uses it on a C4.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 12-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I thought the conversion was pretty painless and with premium gas being much more expensive these days have been very happy with the cost. To start with I adjusted the tune to a third more fuel and added the timing back I had been pulling out.

After awhile I added a higher flow fuel pump. At that time I also went to a e85 approved fpr and sock on the fp. E85 content can change quite a bit with the seasons.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:07 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
Great information in this thread!

I know this is an old thread-But I have a question With the e85 are you still utilizing the stock fuel lines and stock gas filter?

Thank you,
Steve
Yep, stock lines and filter. No problems so far. 255LPH Warboro stock replacement pump.

He has even switched it back and forth between E85 and 93 pump gasoline quite a bit. We have tested the car at the track and driven it on the street using both fuels to compare a bunch of times.

Now that E85 is availiable locallly to him, I think it's just going to stay on E85.
Will
Old 12-22-2016, 01:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I thought the conversion was pretty painless and with premium gas being much more expensive these days have been very happy with the cost. To start with I adjusted the tune to a third more fuel and added the timing back I had been pulling out.

After awhile I added a higher flow fuel pump. At that time I also went to a e85 approved fpr and sock on the fp. E85 content can change quite a bit with the seasons.
I'm not sure I understand. Sure, premium gas is expensive and you save on E85. I haven't looked carefully but E85 seems, at least to me around here, more rare than diesel. Also if you have to adjust the tune, wouldn't you be using more fuel and negate the cost factor? E85 has much lower energy content which means you need more fuel (1.5:1 E85:gas). Factor in the cost of making it work (larger injectors, tuning, more inconvenience), what exactly is the benefit, money wise? I know you can advance timing some because it is less susceptible to detonation but is the power difference that much?

Reason I asked is I had a Flex Fuel vehicle and the mileage sucked on E85. It was built for it so it had the sensor in the tank. Thankfully mine never went south yet. I have someone that might sell his E85 vehicle if this, that or the other happens so I don't know if I want to call dibs unless it is really much better than it was.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
I'm not sure I understand. Sure, premium gas is expensive and you save on E85. I haven't looked carefully but E85 seems, at least to me around here, more rare than diesel. Also if you have to adjust the tune, wouldn't you be using more fuel and negate the cost factor? E85 has much lower energy content which means you need more fuel (1.5:1 E85:gas). Factor in the cost of making it work (larger injectors, tuning, more inconvenience), what exactly is the benefit, money wise? I know you can advance timing some because it is less susceptible to detonation but is the power difference that much?

Reason I asked is I had a Flex Fuel vehicle and the mileage sucked on E85. It was built for it so it had the sensor in the tank. Thankfully mine never went south yet. I have someone that might sell his E85 vehicle if this, that or the other happens so I don't know if I want to call dibs unless it is really much better than it was.
On my performance rebuilt engine I was chasing knock counts throughout the timing table. I realized lowering the timing would make the engine safe but less efficient. Yes E85 uses more fuel but it is allowing my engine to operate where it wants to be. It is also very clean and non cat fumes are much nicer. I don't have a daily driver E85 vehicle nor would I want one but I like the fuel very much for racing. It worked on the stock parts which I ended up having to replace anyways as more power adders were bolted on.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

On my performance rebuilt engine I was chasing knock counts throughout the timing table. I realized lowering the timing would make the engine safe but less efficient. Yes E85 uses more fuel but it is allowing my engine to operate where it wants to be. It is also very clean and non cat fumes are much nicer. I don't have a daily driver E85 vehicle nor would I want one but I like the fuel very much for racing. It worked on the stock parts which I ended up having to replace anyways as more power adders were bolted on.
Good to know that it probably hasn't changed since I had a flex fuel vehicle and I wouldn't want another one based on that experience but if something changed for a DD radically enough, I would consider it. Guess I wouldn't call dibs on that potentially on sale vehicle. He did mention that if he gets a good enough refund he might sell this SUV for a newer one.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:56 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Yep, stock lines and filter. No problems so far. 255LPH Warboro stock replacement pump.

He has even switched it back and forth between E85 and 93 pump gasoline quite a bit. We have tested the car at the track and driven it on the street using both fuels to compare a bunch of times.

Now that E85 is availiable locallly to him, I think it's just going to stay on E85.
Will
All this information gets me thinking that I should be okay with it also. E85 is available in many places around here. My ProCharger kit came with 60lb injectors and flex fuel pump and harness. I will update my other thread as I progress-Including dyno and track times (1/4 mile).

First step after the Holidays is the bung for the return line in oil pan and change out the damper (6 & 8 rib). Maybe I'll even try to get it to run on the e85 before the ProCharger install.

Thanks again for the information!

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno results are in!!!

Old 12-22-2016, 03:29 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

My heads are 311 peak. Don't know if the mr flows better then the LT4 intake especially when its been ported
Depends on howit was ported
Last LT1 I did got 372cfm with a reasonable cross section and proper taper. Its floating around on this forum somewhere. Thats more than enough being as the runners arent long dont think it would make much of a restriction if there was one at all if it even was a little under what the heads were doing.
Think the difference is in the MR plenum its just better period splitting hairs though imo. No 7 and 8 runners suck

Last edited by cv67; 12-22-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:17 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

The O2 sensor measure oxygen contenet and knows nothing of air fuel ratio. That number is assumed for a given fuel and oxygen content. 0.89 lambda being 11% rich is just fine.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:16 AM
383tpimachine
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice numbers. How much timing?

This proves a well matched setup will make good power.

Quick Reply: Dyno results are in!!!