C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Questions about the Oil Level Sensor (96 LT1)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Default Questions about the Oil Level Sensor (96 LT1)

I’ve been searching around and cannot really find the information I am looking for so your information and help is appreciated.

(I’ve read where one member said to just jump it but that’s not very clear and I’m not sure what year they were talking about or where he made the jump but I assume at the connector end.)

Is there a way to jumper or bypass the oil level sensor on a 96 LT1 so the lower oil level light will not come on? (Like, make a dummy connector or just use a paper clip/wire or make a jumper from connector pins and wire. Does it need a resistor to limit current so the system thinks the sensor is working correctly?)

Has anyone done this and it so, what did you do and what size thread plug did you use to plug the pan?

Thanks for reading, ColaBear
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by ColaBear
I’ve been searching around and cannot really find the information I am looking for so your information and help is appreciated.

(I’ve read where one member said to just jump it but that’s not very clear and I’m not sure what year they were talking about or where he made the jump but I assume at the connector end.)

Is there a way to jumper or bypass the oil level sensor on a 96 LT1 so the lower oil level light will not come on? (Like, make a dummy connector or just use a paper clip/wire or make a jumper from connector pins and wire. Does it need a resistor to limit current so the system thinks the sensor is working correctly?)

Has anyone done this and it so, what did you do and what size thread plug did you use to plug the pan?

Thanks for reading, ColaBear
You're trying to avoid the purchase of the level sensor? I don't understand he desire to "hack it" - it's certainly not that expensive a repair unless there's more to it than you've mentioned. Explain if you don't mind!

I would think it's an M20X1.5 thread
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You're trying to avoid the purchase of the level sensor? I don't understand he desire to "hack it" - it's certainly not that expensive a repair unless there's more to it than you've mentioned. Explain if you don't mind!

I would think it's an M20X1.5 thread
Not trying to avoid replacing it. It is working fine. I just don’t like it. I check my oil on the Vette manually just like I do on my truck and the wife’s car. I just want to remove it. I’m going to be dropping the pan in the future to work on an oil leak and thought that would be a great time to remove this thing since I have to pull it to drop the pan anyway.

Thanks for your input. ColaBear
Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Not trying to avoid replacing it. It is working fine. I just don’t like it. I check my oil on the Vette manually just like I do on my truck and the wife’s car. I just want to remove it. I’m going to be dropping the pan in the future to work on an oil leak and thought that would be a great time to remove this thing since I have to pull it to drop the pan anyway.

Thanks for your input. ColaBear
You realize that it's purpose is also to maybe alert you to a "CATASTROPHIC" failure! I would think it "normally open" you can check and just seal and tuck away the connector. Seems foolish but like they say: "It's your car"!!

*FrankieD mentions "closed" from the FSM so disregard the "open" comment. Use a jumper!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-26-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

This is taken dirrectly from the GM Service Manual: The CCM monitors the engine oil level using a normally -closed grounding switch. The switch opens when the oil level is low. The procedure the CCM uses to determine a "Low Oil" condition considers many different variables and sequences of events,and is the same for both LT1 and LT5 engines.
To turn "ON" the "Low Oil" indicator, the following parameters must be met:
* Oil temperature during the previous ignition cycle must have been at least 90.6 degrees Celcius (195 degrees F).
* Oil temperature must have dropped at least 40.6 degrees Celcius (105 degrees F) since the engine was last running.
* The oil level sensor must be open indicating low oil when the ignition switch is turned "ON"

So from understanding the above you just use a paper clip/wire or make a jumper from connector pins.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You realize that it's purpose is also to maybe alert you to a "CATASTROPHIC" failure! I would think it "normally open " you can check and just seal and tuck away the connector. Seems foolish but like they say: "It's your car"!!

*FrankieD mentions "closed" from the FSM so disregard the "open" comment. Use a jumper!
Thanks for your comments on the jumper and concerns.

Well I would also think that the oil pressure gage would tell you if something is going wrong. I mean that has been the standard way to monitor the oil in the motor for a long time now. If the car only had idiot lights instead of gages then this would be a better way but since it has both, why does it need both?

Regards, ColaBear
Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

@FrankieD

Thanks for the technical info. Glad to now I can jumper the connector and remove the sensor is I want to.

Regards, ColaBear
Old 01-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

It will show low oil on the dash before it gets to the level that the oil pressure starts to drop off around corners. It is stupid to remove it....especially if it is functioning correctly.

Mike
Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

@FrankieD

Thanks for the technical info. Glad to now I can jumper the connector and remove the sensor is I want to.

Regards, ColaBear
Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Deepa
It will show low oil on the dash before it gets to the level that the oil pressure starts to drop off around corners. It is stupid to remove it....especially if it is functioning correctly.

Mike

You could be a couple quarts low on oil, and still have plenty of oil pressure.
At idle or driving in a straight line you wouldn't know it, since you have good pressure.

Start taking some serious corners, and you will very likely be more focused on driving.
A very hard corner with low oil level will uncover the pickup, and even though the low pressure light should come on, you might not notice it (since your attention is more focused on the corner).
Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

OK, before this gets out of hand, everybody needs to settle down. I didn’t ask this question to turn it into a bashing session. It was a technical question posted in the technical section.

I understand what this is for. I have been driving for 44 years and I have never damaged an engine due to being low on oil. This includes the cars I have run at the drag strip and in auto cross. I check my oil (in all my cars/trucks) and I have never needed a sensor to tell me I’m low on oil. Yes, GM added this sensor for a reason, most likely because there are a lot of drivers out there that are just key-gas-go and never look under the hood. I’m not one of those.

What did you do before you owned a car with an oil level sensor? You either got under the hood and pulled the dip stick and checked it or you waited until you had your oil changed and the tech told you about being low on oil.

My question was can it be removed and/or disabled. The answer was yes, by jumping the pins in the connector.

If it makes you sleep better at night, then please know this: My Vette is not a daily driver and it does not see any track time.

Thank you for reading and your comments, Regards, ColaBear
Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey, while you're at it why don't you remove the knock sensors. If you hear any detonation/knock you can just let off the gas. Most sensors are overated anyhow.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Just BOB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...I have never needed a sensor to tell me I’m low on oil...
Peace. Take the sensor off, but for God sake, don't loan the car to my WIFE!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about the Oil Level Sensor (96 LT1)

Quick Reply: Questions about the Oil Level Sensor (96 LT1)