C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

90-96 Sound System Upgrade...Wow, what a difference.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Default 90-96 Sound System Upgrade...Wow, what a difference.

My '95 has the U1F/UXO "Delco-Bose Gold" sound system. It's true that the Amplifier/Speaker assemblies have problems, mostly with capacitors on the amp PC boards going out, but sound wise, it's hard to beat them considering their 25-year old technology still makes pretty good sound and installing an aftermarket speaker arrangement that is as good or better is a lot of work.

What I've always disliked about the Bose, is the radio control head, mainly because it lacked a balance control. After nearly 20 years, the unit in my 95 had a crackling volume control and a CD player that was often displaying "err". Plus, it had no way to directly connect my iPod. To listen to stuff on it, I had to use an FM adapter which was a pain in the butt.

To address all these issues, installed a Zip Products "Pioneer Conversion Kit" (PN XR183). The Pioneer is made with 25-year newer technology, supports direct connection of an iPod or other USB device and allows adjustment of the speaker balance. In addition it supports the adding a subwoofer, if you want it, along with an external power amp, if you're inclined to go to an aftermarket amp and speakers.

As I was sticking with stock speakers, I replaced all four Bose amplifier Speaker assemblies because I had one with a bad speaker and another with an amplifier problem. I decided to swap the other two on GP. Now, there are no replacements for the left front speaker assembly so I had to "rebuild" one by using my existing speaker enclosure and new Zip speakers.

The result was a significant improvement in the sound quality along with no more crackling volume control, a CD play which worked right and simple connection of an iPod. In fact, I am so happy with the results I posted a couple of articles at Corvette Magazine.com covering what I did.

Check it out!

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 01-30-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Excellent writeups in Corvette magazine. About to do a Kenwood conversion is mine, very helpful.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Awesome, Im happy to hear this worked out good for you.

So you noticed an improvement in sound quality and you are re-using your original Bose Gold speakers - interesting! I would have expected you would need to replace those with modern technology speakers also.

Sending your stuff out to get refurbished is not the answer - replacement with modern parts is the answer. I plan to get a unit with a built-in updateable Garmin GPS and a rotary volume **** (not a fan of the +/- rectangular toggle switch on some models). Kenwood's DNX series meets those requirements.

Oh yeah. and I also want orange backlight to match the orange backlight of my 93's gages. I have seen some really seamless double din setups that make the aftermarket radio look like it came factory.

One issue, rarely discussed, with modern stereo's is 'boot-up' time.

I expect when I turn the radio 'on' that sound should instantly come out of the speakers. Unfortunately, thats not the case with aftermarket stereos.

They require 30 seconds to a minute before sound comes out of the speakers - almost like you are loading up windows or something.

And the more stuff you put on it (mp3's, etc.) the longer it takes.

Id like to hear from you if this Pioneer unit has a boot-up lag issue.

Boot-up lag is something the BOSE gold doesnt have a problem with.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Finalatom
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hib Halverson, awesome job documenting the install. Wish I had done the same.
Dizwiz24, I installed a Sony MEX-BT4000P stereo receiver last summer. All my speakers and amplifiers worked fine so I didn’t replace them just the receiver. I went with the Sony MEX-BT4000P because of the 32000 color display so it’s matched to the rest of my instrument panel, it was compatible to my iPod and iPhone which is where all my music is stored, and it has hands free Bluetooth for talking on my phone. Also because it was single DIN it allowed me to have a compartment for my phones. There is no lag at all when starting up my car, its instant on. I used the conversion kit from Crutchfield which made it an easy job. It sounds and looks great.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Finalatom
Hib Halverson, awesome job documenting the install. Wish I had done the same.
Dizwiz24, I installed a Sony MEX-BT4000P stereo receiver last summer. All my speakers and amplifiers worked fine so I didn’t replace them just the receiver. I went with the Sony MEX-BT4000P because of the 32000 color display so it’s matched to the rest of my instrument panel, it was compatible to my iPod and iPhone which is where all my music is stored, and it has hands free Bluetooth for talking on my phone. Also because it was single DIN it allowed me to have a compartment for my phones. There is no lag at all when starting up my car, its instant on. I used the conversion kit from Crutchfield which made it an easy job. It sounds and looks great.
yeah, i think the single DIN units are simpler and therefore dont have the boot-up lag i am describing.

The double -DIN high function video/nav/MP3 storage models are the ones with the boot-up lag.

Unfortunately, those are the ones I want.

Thats cool that you have a place to store you cell phone.

Its hard for me to find a place in my c4 to store my cell phone (where it wont fly out somewhere).

Get notified of new replies

To 90-96 Sound System Upgrade...Wow, what a difference.

Quick Reply: 90-96 Sound System Upgrade...Wow, what a difference.