C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1.6RR question, did you have to elongate slots for pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 12:17 AM

Default 1.6RR question, did you have to elongate slots for pushrods?

I was wondering if the pushrod slots in the heads need to be elongated when installing 1.6 rollers on a 87 with alum heads, i have had mixed results in the past(some have needed it, some havnt) i have not worked with the vette alum heads before so i dont know if they need to be clearenced or not.......any info is appreciated............thx
Old 06-16-2002, 04:56 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 1.6RR question, did you have to elongate slots for pushrods? (Kamarossrs)

I believe your heads also (my 113 castings do) have self aligning rockers; in such case you have no problem with the slots. In fact, since you have screw-in studs, you can easily change to 7/16" for extra valve train stiffness. If you want to use self aligning ProMagnums you'll have to stay with 3/8" studs though.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:09 AM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 1.6RR question, did you have to elongate slots for pushrods? (65Z01)

I believe your heads also (my 113 castings do) have self aligning rockers; in such case you have no problem with the slots. In fact, since you have screw-in studs, you can easily change to 7/16" for extra valve train stiffness. If you want to use self aligning ProMagnums you'll have to stay with 3/8" studs though.
I have the '86 alum heads (with the different central manifold boltholes from the '87 up); do my heads require any different attention, or can I use the same 1.66 rockers as described for the '87???
Old 06-16-2002, 01:48 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 1.6RR question, did you have to elongate slots for pushrods? (Rich B.)

In that case, unless you get a definiteve answer here, pull the easiest valve cover and see if slotted or open.

My later Al heads have large rectangular openings so that I can look down along the push rods and see the lifters. They also have non-functional (not hardened) guide plates used only during OEM assembly.

If your heads aren't slotted you can use either self-aligning RRs or non self aligning with hardened guide plates & pushrods. If they are slotted you may need to have them machined to open up the slots, as with the older iron heads.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:03 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 1.6RR question, did you have to elongate slots for pushrods? (Kamarossrs)

The factory aluminum head has an oversized guide plate for the pushrods.

YOU MUST REPLACE THE GUIDE PLATES WITH CORRECT PLATES FOR YOUR PUSHRODS/ROCKERS.

IE: With non-self aligning rockers, you will eventually have the tips of the valves worn down unevenly if your lucky. If you not lucky, the rocker can actually go sideways OFF the valve stem and dislodge the spring retainer...IE: Dropped valve resulting in a broken head, a broken piston and a broken cylinder wall. ( That means total engine gets trashed ).

Believe me...it's a $15.00 set of guide plates that can save your engine.

Get notified of new replies

To 1.6RR question, did you have to elongate slots for pushrods?

Quick Reply: 1.6RR question, did you have to elongate slots for pushrods?