C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Water leak: Another place water can get inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 PM
ghr4news
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water leak: Another place water can get inside

While in the middle of restoring my '86, I've been trying to find the source of where water gets inside the cabin from either the windshield wiper cowl and or through the bulkhead. I have located several places already and have found two more. These affect the driver's side. While cleaning out 27 years of grime, dirt, dust and what have you from the windshield cowl. I found water can get inside next to the driver side utter; the one near the battery. It is due to bad design engineering by those numskulls at GM who didn't know what they were doing when they deiced to design the C4. These people should be tried and sentenced for stupidity to human kind and for causing all the grief to Corvette lovers. What I have found is that the well where the utter snaps into. That well is in two parts and has a seam that was never sealed. All they did was put a rivet to hold the wall side to the horizontal side together. to find it, you'll have to take the utter out, clean out all the debris and stick your head into the hole where the mesh was so you can see this defect. You'll need something like thumb grade sealer compound to seal that seam. The other source is on the hump in the cowl. If you're looking straight down from where the mesh screen is, again this is on the driver side, you will notice a riser of the fiberglass cowl. The lower corner section to the right of the hump is where the defect lies. If you were lucky and whoever assembled your cowl and if they decided not to skimp on the sealer, you should see joint sealer coming out of that joint. If you don't like I found out, there is a hole there which will also need to be sealed. I'm cleaning the entire cowl so I can reseal the joint which extends from one end to the other end of the car.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Water leak: Another place water can get inside