C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Head Gasket repair in a bottle? Do any really work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM
chris1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Head Gasket repair in a bottle? Do any really work?

On my 1986 Convertible that I just purchased used, it seems like it may be using a little coolant. I have used the Bar's Head Gasket Repair/Stop Leak in the past, but don't really want to gunk up the cooling system, etc on something that really won't do much good anyway. Has anyone had any positive experiences with any of the products out there on the market? I thought I saw one thread that someone posted that they has some success, but can't remember what brand it was. I'm hoping that if it is a small enough breach, maybe one of the higher end quality products may do just enough to seal whatever portion may have developed the small leak, and save me some $$$ on a head gasket(s) repair.........

Thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. Waste of money pull the head.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

my 2 cents - if you have a blown head gasket, that crap in a bottle, if it even works, is just a band-aid. might as well pull the heads and fix the problem - the right way!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Bobcatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gums up everything. Worse on the heater
Old 04-14-2013, 07:49 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

The head gasket repair stuff in a bottle can work well or only for a couple thousand miles, its a crap shot really. Had a friend with a bad head gasket in his dodge truck, we used a block sealer in a bottle and followed the directions to a t. Then we added bars stop leak after words just incase. He has been driving the truck for 20k miles since then with no issues, but i think it is nothing more than a band aid and sometimes you get lucky as my friend did. The real answer is replacing the head gasket. You can go the other route if you want but id never take her on a long road trip. Just my .02

Last edited by jcorkin; 04-14-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

........ If you act now ... we'll include a second bottle absolutely free ... just pay shipping and handling ........... ............
Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Bluedevil used as per directions will last fir a while. Friend used it in his 5.0 explorer and it had worked well for over 5k miles
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Head Gasket repair in a bottle? Do any really work?

Hell No!!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Its junk science. Under SOME conditions, (usually NOT yours) and for certain
situations ( like those in the lab)...the chemistry is simple and reliable. Thing is, its indiscriminate...meaning EVERY small gap (radiator veins) and heater cores get the same treatment. And..
if its a head gasket thats under stress from combustion chamber pressure and exhaust gases..it won;t last too long. The exhaust gas pressure is higher than the seal pressure so it fails. For an intake leak it might work better...but again...heater and radiators get plugged as well. If a gasket is bad, stop leak MIGHT fill the leak but the gasket will continue to degrade in the damaged area and more leaking will take place...and you DO NOT keep adding stop leak.

I have seen a water passage in a head completely blocked by stop leak. That last water port in the back of left side...blocked off. No coolant circulation back there since that crap was added.
Its not a bad job to do right (new gaskets)considering the cost of stop leak and what the cost is to fix the other stuff it plugs up...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Speedjester
Racer

In some conditions yes it does work..I had winter beater that somehow snapped a head bolt... Car would smoke like a fog machine at idle.. Poured a bottle in and it worked.. Drove it like that for two winters.. Then gave the car to a friend.. Who drove it for another 4... But bare in mind I used it as an alternative to scraping the car as it wasn't worth the time to fix..
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 AM
SPDKNGG
Racer

Only way is the right way..
Pull heads and have them inspected and milled.
Block could also have a hairline crack in the cylinder or jacket.
If this seems like to much work..might wanna sell the vette and buy a Ford.
True vette owners fix their pride and joy...not put a bandaid on it...
Fix it right!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 AM
chris1
Instructor

Thanks for the replies, that's what I figured, I just had hoped that the technology had improved over the past 20 years or so beyond just dumping sludge into the radiator and hoping for the best............

So far, no visible leaks on the ground, but will pressure test to be sure; haven't had the car long enough to make an exact determination, so I will continue to investigate further; it blows a little smoke during the first few minutes of warm-up, then it goes away; my concern was when I was working on the A/C system last weekend, the fan came on at 223F as normal, however the coolant was bubbling/boiling back into the overflow tank; not sure I've seen that before; it has a new AC Delco 195F thermostat and all new hoses; the bubbling stopped when the temp went back down to around 200F; I just purchased one of the low fan temp switches from Corvette Central to turn the fan(s) on at 200F and off at 185F; also ordered a new AC Delco radiator cap (RC-27), so we'll see how that goes; need to drive it and put some additional miles on it to see if it is really losing any siginificant amount of coolant; just changed the oil last month, and it still looks great, so I'm hoping it's nothing major; just curious, how much should a shop charge (both parts and labor) to replace both head gaskets on these L98's?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 AM
SPDKNGG
Racer

Really depends on how it looks coming apart. Machining the heads and inspecting the block.
A quick cooling system pressure test will let you know if your leaking down.
Sounds like the thermostat might be old and not opening all the way or something.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Speedjester
Racer

Around here I would guess 900-1200 for a head gasket repair..extra for head work..

If your going to do it..your better off doing it yourself...Really not that difficult... Just make sure your organized and take pictures so you know how everything is routed...
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM
chris1
Instructor

Originally Posted by SPDKNGG
Really depends on how it looks coming apart. Machining the heads and inspecting the block.
A quick cooling system pressure test will let you know if your leaking down.
Sounds like the thermostat might be old and not opening all the way or something.
Spd - Thermostat is brand new, just changed it with a 195F AC Delco unit, so hopefully I'm OK; upper radiator hose gets hot at 195F, so it looks like it is opening at the correct temperature.....

Originally Posted by Speedjester
Around here I would guess 900-1200 for a head gasket repair..extra for head work..

If your going to do it..your better off doing it yourself...Really not that difficult... Just make sure your organized and take pictures so you know how everything is routed...
Speed: Not sure I can handle that type of job; love to do some stuff, however with potential broken bolts, incorrect tools, etc, I'd rather farm it out to someone that has more experience, and will provide a warranty for their work.........
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Speedjester
Racer

Its really simple.. No special tools required really.... As for broken bolts hardest part the exhaust manifold and if you by chance you do snap one the machine shop can pull them easily when they inspect the heads..
But if your not comfortable do what you feel is best... If you take it to a shop make sure it's reputable.. And guarantee there work...

A story...Friend just had head gasket replaced on her Saab $1250 ..two weeks later the gasket went again... Garage stated they did it right and that the head must be cracked...They claimed they never sent heads out to inspect to save her money(they never gave her that option)...I got involved and after a lot of hassle they redid the job.. Guess what ..Heads were good.. Install was bad..
Old 04-15-2013, 04:35 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris1
Thanks for the replies, that's what I figured, I just had hoped that the technology had improved over the past 20 years or so beyond just dumping sludge into the radiator and hoping for the best............

So far, no visible leaks on the ground, but will pressure test to be sure; haven't had the car long enough to make an exact determination, so I will continue to investigate further; it blows a little smoke during the first few minutes of warm-up, then it goes away; my concern was when I was working on the A/C system last weekend, the fan came on at 223F as normal, however the coolant was bubbling/boiling back into the overflow tank; not sure I've seen that before; it has a new AC Delco 195F thermostat and all new hoses; the bubbling stopped when the temp went back down to around 200F; I just purchased one of the low fan temp switches from Corvette Central to turn the fan(s) on at 200F and off at 185F; also ordered a new AC Delco radiator cap (RC-27), so we'll see how that goes; need to drive it and put some additional miles on it to see if it is really losing any siginificant amount of coolant; just changed the oil last month, and it still looks great, so I'm hoping it's nothing major; just curious, how much should a shop charge (both parts and labor) to replace both head gaskets on these L98's?
Are you sure the smoke you're seeing isn't just typical water vapor? A blown head gasket will have thick white smoke and I doubt it will go away after a few minutes, at least I've never seen that.

To tackle the job yourself wouldn't be a bad idea and you'd save some money. The hardest part would be removing the front y-pipe bolts off the exhaust mainfolds. With a good set of tools, torq sockets and patience, the job can be done.

I knew guys that used to use the Barr's Leak and other sealers just so they could sell they headache to someone else. No one ever expects that stuff to last. It attacks everything, most of the time you wind up with a clogged heater core or radiator, especially if the car hasn't been maintained.

Get notified of new replies

To Head Gasket repair in a bottle? Do any really work?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C409
........ If you act now ... we'll include a second bottle absolutely free ... just pay shipping and handling ........... ............
Put your Hands on the TV and Pray... We'll ship it out right away....
Old 04-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Just BOB
Racer

I'd pressure test the cooling system first and see where the leak is before arbitrarily signing up for head gaskets. You could have a bad water pump shaft seal, hose leak or intake manifold leak. Check the oil level, then presurize the system, let it leak down, then check the oil level again and make sure it hasn't changed. If it has, you probably have a bad manifold gasket letting coolant leak into the lifter valley. Then pull ALL the plugs and spin the engine with the starter and look for coolant spraying out the plug holes. This step is very important because if you have filled a cylinder with as little as 30cc of coolant you can bend a rod if you try to crank the engine.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this te stuff you were talking about
http://www.seal-a-head.com/page18.html

Quick Reply: Head Gasket repair in a bottle? Do any really work?